Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Chinar Lens Sticks But No Ricoh Pin?

After looking at this then looking at a Chinar I just picked up in a swap I'm puzzled. I honestly cannot see anything on this lens that looks like the dreaded pin as illustrated on this site BUT the lens sticks on the Pentax ME-Super anyway. It does come off but it's a bit hard to remove. Note, it also came with a really crappy Tou/5 Star zoom and that comes off the camera just fine.

It's a Chinar 28mm 1:2.8 #7061012 lens.

http://www.theatreofnoise.com/2008/05/ricoh-lenses-on-pentax-cameras-ricoh.html

and here's the nice toy the lens came with....

I'm probably keeping the 28MM if it's not a Ricoh that will stick on my *ist but I'm not sure about the ME yet. It's cute, but I'm not crazy about the buttons versus dial bit.

Am I just missing the pin? I thought I knew what it looks like but I've admittedly never run into a Ricoh lens before.

11-29-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Even if it had a Ricoh pin (and it doesn't, it's straight PK) it wouldn't stick on a ME Super. Ricoh pin lenses are only a danger to Pentax AF cameras. Check the aperture lever and make sure it isn't bent. Also check the flanges on the bayonet and make sure they aren't bent.
11-29-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Now that I look at it it aperture lever does seem to be leaning a bit towards center. Safe to tap it and straighten it with a small hammer? Would that likely do the job?

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Even if it had a Ricoh pin (and it doesn't, it's straight PK) it wouldn't stick on a ME Super. Ricoh pin lenses are only a danger to Pentax AF cameras. Check the aperture lever and make sure it isn't bent. Also check the flanges on the bayonet and make sure they aren't bent.
11-29-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd rather twist it with pliers? The impact from the hammer might wreak havoc inside the lens.

11-29-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got pliers and I'll give it a shot. Hope I don't wreck it. I'd like to actually keep this lens. It would be my second 28mm in the trash bin this week if I manage to mess it up! I've already had one lost to fungus on the Sears camera someone gave me.
11-29-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That worked fine, thanks! It's much better now. I just took a couple of quick pic of the cap sans a flash on my *ist and it's not bad. A bit fuzzy, but the light is pretty bad in here and I should have used a flash really. No after editing here, except for tweaking the white balance and contrast just a bit. Probably will be better even with a good flash on or plenty of daylight. I may just take the *ist out tomorrow with just the 28MM on to see what it can do under better lighting conditions. Plenty of holiday decorations out there to practice on and I might actually have some time tomorrow to take my cameras out. I want to see if the ME Super actually works for me, how it feels compared to my SPII.

11-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Glad to hear it works now :-)

11-29-2010, 11:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have a Chinar 35mm f2.8 lens with a mount virtually identical to your 28mm. The lens is well built and makes nice pics for little investment. Have fun with your Chinar.