Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2010, 03:32 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I do agree with many answers here: the most important point for rainforest photography is the ability to shoot in very low light. It is always very dark under the canopy, even in the middle of the day under a hot tropical sun. 1/125 at F2.8 and ISO 800 is not uncommon at ground level at noon.

Fast lenses and high ISO capable cameras are mandatory, and much more important than water resistance IMHO. I have lived in Indonesia and Brunei (Borneo) for 15 years and I have never used WR equipment. When it rains in the rainforest, it is usually pouring so badly that you wouldn't be able to shoot at all, even with a WR camera and lens, just because the front lens would be covered with water. So, I think it's better to have a weather resistant bag with a good rain cover to keep the equipment dry and some sillica gel inside to protect it from the humidity (always very high). And when it rains, take cover (if you can) and wait until it stops before resuming shooting! The good point is that those equatorial rainfalls are spectacular but usually don't last very long.

Cheers!

Abbazz

12-02-2010, 09:49 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you to everyone who replied. I have some ideas and plenty to think about.

QuoteQuote:
Now, for the forest I have the k-7 and the k-x. It get pretty dark under the canopy and the k-7 just doesn't cut it. The k-x is excellent
That is an interesting idea. I was looking at the K-5 to replace my K-7 for its low light abilities. However, getting a K-x as a backup give me low light and lets me keep the K-7, which I like.

QuoteQuote:
An airtight container for the gear with a supply of desiccant might be a good idea to keep fungus at bay?
QuoteQuote:
Visit a local shoe store and ask them to save the silica gell that comes in the shoes. some stores do this and give it away to photographers.
Need to remember this. Hate to lose a lens due to humidity or worse.

Thanks again. I will let everyone know how it goes and post pictures when I get back.

Aaron
10-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #18

Original Poster
Arise, my thread, arise. Hopefully this is not considered really bad form here.

Anyway, I finally posted some pictures of my trip to Costa Rica on flickr.

In the end, I took four lenses with me. I received a 15mm for Christmas, and bought a DA* 50 - 135. I added my 50mm macro and my DA*300. I also took my fgz360 flash. I ended up with nothing in the normal range, but my wife had a Pentax waterproof camera, which covered the snapshot area. Given that we were on a vacation and not a real photo expedition, the 50mm macro was likely not necessary, and I would have done better with a 35mm. I had a lowpro slingbag (the 200 I think) which was fine for most hiking. A backpack would have allowed me to bring more lenses, but for a vacation, the slingbag worked well. I stuffed 6 of the silica gel packs in the bag to keep the moisture off.

The weather was good for the most part, so I was not restricted in shooting. And when it did rain, I kept the 300mm on the k-7 and had no issues. I really wish I had a waterproof and strong flash, and not long after I returned I upgraded to a Metz 58 for the greater flash power. My one big issue was I bought some less expensive memory card, and two died during the trip. One for good, and one did come back after a few days. I only lost a few picture, but had to spend the last couple of days shooting in jpegs to save space. Next time higher quality cards.

Thanks again for all the advice, and if you have any questions, I would be happy to answer.

Aaron
10-10-2011, 09:19 AM   #19
Site Supporter

I live in the temperate rain forest of western Oregon. The 9 months of rain have already started. While I own lots of lenses, 3 that come to mind as most used
would include: Da* 16-50. ---used most. a 100 mm Macro. -- also used for intermediate
distance stuff. and the 300mm that you already have.