Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2010, 07:06 PM   #1

500mm Kimunor

A co-worker gave me this 500mm f8 Kimunor lens today, anyone know anything about it? Did I take his trash or treasure?

11-29-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Always worth a try. I have the Tamron BB55 - I really like this lens so give yours a run out and see what it can do (I've found it can be hand-held because they are very light - but you will need support if not using a tripod).
11-29-2010, 08:55 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Always worth a try. I have the Tamron BB55 - I really like this lens so give yours a run out and see what it can do (I've found it can be hand-held because they are very light - but you will need support if not using a tripod).
I will have to give it a try this weekend, by the time I get off work it is already dark these days
11-29-2010, 09:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might just be surprised on how it performs. I just bought a cheap Rokinon 500mm F.3 mirror lens and I'm very happy with its sharpness.

Here is a shot I took the other week. Just a little pp to bring up the contrast

11-29-2010, 10:15 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
You might just be surprised on how it performs. I just bought a cheap Rokinon 500mm F.3 mirror lens and I'm very happy with its sharpness.

Cool, thanks for sharing that! Maybe I can go down to the water front and get revenge on that bald eagle I barely caught with my 18-55mm.
11-29-2010, 11:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by s.randy Quote
Cool, thanks for sharing that! Maybe I can go down to the water front and get revenge on that bald eagle I barely caught with my 18-55mm.
I cannot believe you bird with a 18-55! Just remember to shoot with both eyes open... your left eye to track the bird and your right eye for focus... you will never find the bird any other way as you will only have about a 4-5 degree FOV...
11-30-2010, 08:09 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
I cannot believe you bird with a 18-55! Just remember to shoot with both eyes open... your left eye to track the bird and your right eye for focus... you will never find the bird any other way as you will only have about a 4-5 degree FOV...
I got the bird it was just too far away for the 18-55mm. After cropping it waaaaay down the IQ was low.

Attached Images

12-01-2010, 09:27 PM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote

Holy crap! Gorgeous!

I would never have thought you could get that kind of quality out of a mirror lens. I'm sure that good light helps, but still, wow. (But it can't be an F3, right? Is that a typo?)

And I understand you did some PP, but you can't even tell, so I guess you sure didn't have to do all that much to it.

I'm very impressed. I don't shoot with the long stuff at all, but this was a real eye-opener for me.
12-01-2010, 09:43 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Holy crap! Gorgeous!

I would never have thought you could get that kind of quality out of a mirror lens. I'm sure that good light helps, but still, wow. (But it can't be an F3, right? Is that a typo?)

And I understand you did some PP, but you can't even tell, so I guess you sure didn't have to do all that much to it.

I'm very impressed. I don't shoot with the long stuff at all, but this was a real eye-opener for me.
It's probably the F6.3. Runs about $150. Quality control varies greatly on them. Colorado CJ obviously got a good one.
12-02-2010, 07:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Yeah, sorry about that, it is the F6.3. I bought it at overstock.com for $119.00.

I normally shoot in jpg and this was a jpg. The untouched jpg doesn't look THAT good to the eye, but all the information is there, so with a little pp, you can really get some good pictures.

The 500 mm mirror lens can really reach out though. These bighorns were roughly 50-60 yds. from me and I couldn't get the rams full body in any shot (although he was pretty large). I couldn't back up anymore either, since there was a dropoff behind me with a rushing river.
12-02-2010, 10:35 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Lovely shot of the mountain goats (ibex?) Great surprise for me too. May be I should check out the mirror lens too.
12-02-2010, 10:49 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by siva.ss.kumar Quote
Lovely shot of the mountain goats (ibex?) Great surprise for me too. May be I should check out the mirror lens too.
Not goats. Bighorn Sheep.

Bighorn Sheep - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
12-02-2010, 05:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I figured I'd make a gif of the original and the post processed version, just to give you an idea of what it looked like without processing.

12-02-2010, 06:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was at the very least, expecting the dreaded ' donut ' bokeh. something i really hate on a mirror and which has stopped my ever buying one, so where are they ? Did you PP them out, or is this a rare mirror that doesnt produce donuts ?
12-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No strong points of light = no donut bokeh.