Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2010, 10:35 PM   #1

WRONG way to ship a lens.

Ok, so i ordered a Promaster Spectrum 7 70-210 zoom lens off of Ebay like 3 months ago. Lens looked in good condition from the photos, and the guy was offering free shipping too, total of $15.00.

2 1/2 weeks go buy and the lens still hadn't arrived so i e-mailed the guy and he immediately sent me a refund and told me to let him know if the lens did arrive.

I forgot about it, then today a "thing" comes in the mail. I did not know WTH it was, and i was afraid it contained some kind of liquid or strange material which is why you see the green masking tape ripped away from the bottom.

Why would anyone send something in the mail like this? Yes, this was the ENTIRE package, no box or anything except for some bubble wrap around the lens.

Well, the aperture wheel cracked in half and fell off during delivery so i guess i can use it for spare parts since my other Spectrum 7 is missing the aperture pin.

Attached Images

11-29-2010, 10:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What... in the world? Is that a little garbage basket?
11-29-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
interesting... well at least he refunded your money...
11-29-2010, 10:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would be terrified if I found that in the mail .

11-29-2010, 11:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't know what you're talking about.

that is some grade A packaging!
11-29-2010, 11:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

lol! he was in hurry maybe
11-29-2010, 11:43 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
What... in the world? Is that a little garbage basket?
Its like a cheap tupperware container.

I actually have a set exactly like these with 3 different sizes and a lazy suzan that sits in the cupboard that you spin to get to the size you want.

11-29-2010, 11:55 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No wonder it took so long - they probably opened it at every receiving center it came through thinking it was liquid, food, or worse. A box and some newspaper must be hard to come by in that part of the world hah
11-30-2010, 12:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

In college I had a professor that related story about a professor she had back in the day... The professor challenged his students to send something packaged through the mail with the least amount of materials possible to his office address. Supposedly, the most "creative" student slapped a mailing address and postage on a ziplock bag (or whatever might have been the equivalent at the time). Also, supposedly, the contents was a substance meant to resemble something illegal; marijuana or some other drug (though it was only for show).

It arrived safely and on time. But this was in the '70s. I can't imagine how this would have played out today.
11-30-2010, 12:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

if this was via UPS, you should expect the worse. the container itself would had been sliced open.

I do agree that it is a GRADE A packaging. it's waterproof as well.
11-30-2010, 01:53 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LowVoltage Quote
In college I had a professor that related story about a professor she had back in the day... The professor challenged his students to send something packaged through the mail with the least amount of materials possible to his office address. Supposedly, the most "creative" student slapped a mailing address and postage on a ziplock bag (or whatever might have been the equivalent at the time). Also, supposedly, the contents was a substance meant to resemble something illegal; marijuana or some other drug (though it was only for show).

It arrived safely and on time. But this was in the '70s. I can't imagine how this would have played out today.
One would think a coconut with a shipping label on it would have been better. Hey, they did it on Mythbusters.
11-30-2010, 04:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I have been buying and selling lenses on eBay. I sold ~70 in the last couple months, mailed worldwide from California to Chile, Petrograd, Venice, Dubai, Mumbai, Sydney, Hong Kong, Tokyo, etc. Yes, I've shipped German, Ukrainian, Japanese lenses back to their homelands. I always offer cheap shipping, and that's often what's requested. Yes, I have stuffed many a 200mm tele or zoom into a USPS PRIORITY MAIL FLAT RATE ENVELOPE draped in thin foam- or bubble-wrap. No complaints so far. Maybe I've just been lucky, or maybe those bloated little packets are handled differently than are sturdier boxes.

My latest triumph: I just stuffed a 1960's vintage YASHICA LYNX-5000 rangefinder (the size of a small SLR) complete with leather case, into one of those envelopes. And off it flew to New Zealand. A local postal clerk told me soneone once shipped a basketball in one of those envelopes. Ay yi yi.

Anyway, I've seen maximal and minimal packing. I once got a few small lenses packed into a plastic snap-top cheese container. I've also received a small, cheap lens packed in a 1-foot-cube box, swaddled in layers of newspaper. Neither is best for shock absorption. And I wonder what a buyer is thinking when they request that their long lens be mailed in a thin envelope. (They're thinking: CHEAPEST SHIPPING!)
11-30-2010, 05:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

That's worse than the lens I got wrapped in a napkin.
11-30-2010, 05:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Honestly even if you didn't get a refund I think you have gotten your $15 worth.
11-30-2010, 07:43 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Shipping insurance fraud comes to mind when I see a package like that.