Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2010, 12:11 AM   #1

Auto Chinon 50mm f/1.9

I dont see any reviews on this... please advise. Someone on this forum offered me one for $30 plus about $15 shipping to Japan.

What about this lens? I have never cared about Brand name (part of why I and many of you own Pentax:s), I care about performance first and formost (well maybe cost, then performance)

Also, I am SUPER "BIMBO" (japanese for poor)

I really cant afford more then $50 shipped but it seems all the good lenses from back in the day (as in the ones people have reviewed such as the Pentax-M/A) are not availible for under $50 anymore.

The only things that matter to me are that I can shoot in low light conditions for my side business (which is shooting club photos right now)

11-30-2010, 02:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice little lens. Two wide-open pics from this lens on k-x, second one was in very dim lighting.

11-30-2010, 06:39 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Seems a bit soft. How would you rate it against the Pentax M50 f2?
11-30-2010, 08:18 AM   #4

Original Poster
so you think its worth the money? or I should hold out?

11-30-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm not sure I'm the one Ehlacore refers to as the person who offered him a Chinon 50mm 1.9, but I had the M 50mm, and the Chinon is definitely better wide open. In fact, I don't find it less sharp wide open than the M 50mm 1.7.
12-04-2010, 02:45 AM   #6

Somehow my original post got deleted, but here it is:

The 50mm Auto Chinon F 1.9 was my favorite lens until I compared it to a SMC Pentax M 50mm F2 that I had acquired. During my testing the Pentax had better contrast and sharpness. The SMC Pentax M 50mm F2 is probably the most common k mount lens out there, and it is also one of the cheapest. I bet that you could find one for cheaper than the Chinon, but if you can't the Chinon is still a good lens.
12-04-2010, 04:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This was my first prime lens and I still have it even after subsequently buying some slightly more exotic gear. Its small, reasonably fast and delivers bokeh that I personally like, bokeh is reminisant of K55 f/1.8 but without the K's delicious colour transitions which are smoother. It is also relatively sharp wide open. It feels cheaply made compared to a Super Takumar or K lens, the action on the focussing ring just does not have the uber engineered feel of those lenses.
Some shots and comments:

Bokeh @ f/1.9

This shot is a bit underexposed (my mistake) but it does have that paint with light effect. It is a dreamy shot but if you look at the fern it still shows a good bit of detail.

Bokeh with busier background @ f/1.9

Again a bit underexposed (slightly) but it handles it well enough for a €30 lens , there are halos in the bokeh rings some may like others may hate, sharpness is more than acceptable.

Rufus @ f.4/0

I used catch in focus on the K20D, sharpness is ok and detail is good.