Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Cleaning lenses - microfiber cloth

the use of a microfiber cloth has been discussed in many sites for cleaning the lens front and back elements.

i've seen microfiber cloths 7"x7" 10"x10" for about $10
and at Target, a whole 6 pack for $7 in the car detailing section

is the microfiber cloth for lenses different from those used for car detailing?

TIA

11-30-2010, 09:52 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know, but I'd be interested in an informed reply myself

NaCl(maybe I could say "I clean my lenses with automotive repair equipment" )H2O
11-30-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It seems many sorts are sold as microfiber cloth. The best I've come across are 3M Lens Cleaning Cloth (18x16 cm Cat#9021) and these: Microfiber Lens Cloth 12 Pieces Pack bei eBay.de: Eyeglass Cases (endet 03.12.10 08:06:10 MEZ).

The 3M is thicker and very effective in removing the worse smudges, it leaves behind a few bits of fiber though. The latter is thinner and scretchy, it doesn't seem to leave bits of fiber (or at least they are very small and few), but is not quite as effective as the 3M. I've been using these with 3-4 drops of Eclipse on the cloth first and immediately applying another, dry spot on the cloth.
11-30-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You've beat me to starting a topic on microfibre cloths for lens cleaning.

I have a few that I keep in camera cases and various bags and use occasionaly, and I have one on my desk that gets a lot of use, I sit and mess around and repair lenses there, and I clean my glasses with it.

A few days ago I noticed on my glasses after cleaning them that there was a large amount of microfibre on the lenses. Which wiped off easily on the old stanby, my shirt.

So I tried the cloth on a lens and then looked at it closely through a loupe, and sure enough it was covered in tiny fibres. The microfibre cloth is obviously shedding.

I'm not at my desk at the moment so I can't look to see what material the cloth is likely to be made of, but I doubt that its something we want going inside any lens.

( It's one of these - http://www.lakeland.co.uk/glass-!AMPERSAND-polishing-e-cloth!REG/F/C/cleanin...s/product/7542 )

Perhaps it's the brand? but these weren't cheap ones.

03-13-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
Inactive Account

cleaning cloths

I use only pentax cleaning cloths they are very cheap but do a great job. If you are serious about your equipment they are a must. I run a small photo business and use to get mine from a local opticians but found a cheaper seller on line called Aoneseller make sure you choose the colour they sell some weird patterns!!!
03-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lenspen works for me.
03-13-2011, 10:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by givedaveabell Quote
I use only pentax cleaning cloths they are very cheap but do a great job.
+1. I use the ones from B&H.

Remember to blow the dust off the lens element before using them - otherwise you can scratch coatings.
03-14-2011, 04:26 AM   #8
Inactive Account

lenspen

Lenspen is a great product but I was talking about pentax cloths which is great for cleaning pentax products how can you use lenspen to clean a lens. Blowing dust of lens great Ideal I use canned air.
Maybe you should set up a lenspen site!!!

03-14-2011, 05:42 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by givedaveabell Quote
I use only pentax cleaning cloths they are very cheap but do a great job.
Looking at B&H's website they have 2 listings for len's cleaning clothes. Other than the fact one is more expensive, out of stock and looks to be a different color. I cannot tell a difference from the listing. Does anyone know if there is a difference. I'm assuming either one will do a good job...

Links for ease of reference:
Pentax Lens Cleaning Cloth 88205 B&H Photo Video

Pentax Lens Cleaning Cloth - 6 x 6" 88029 B&H Photo Video
03-14-2011, 06:33 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I actually use a spudz micro-fibre cloth, small compact and mine is roughly 18% grey which can be useful for setting metering and white balance in a pinch.
03-14-2011, 08:37 AM   #11

I usually use a microfiber cloth first and then hit it with a blower or lens pen immediately after. I use my t-shirt on my glasses, but not on my lenses. Of course my glasses are covered with scratches, but I don't ever carry lens cloth on my person.
03-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The eyeglass coatings (e.g. "Hoya Hard") are doing a great job keeping cleaning scratches at bay ... plastic lenses used get ruined in a year or so even with reasonable attempts for careful cleaning, with the current stuff the frame seems to wear / get mangled first
03-14-2011, 11:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

This is the one I use. I was also curious about the other one, but I had no reason to try another type.