Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sports photographer problem...

Okay, I'm in a pickle. I first ordered the Tamron 70-200mm and loved the IQ, but AF wasn't fast enough for what I primarily need it for (sports). So I ordered the Sigma 70-200mm HSM II and AF, while it does track better than the Tamron, wasn't stellar. Especially in moderate/low light it would hunt and took longer to "lock" than the screw-driven tamron. Okay, that's not really a problem though. The main thing is that IQ is soo poor! CAs are almost intolerable! Hmm... So, I've considered the DA* 50-135mm but I have two worries:

1. AF will be too slow
2. Not quite enough reach on the tele end

If I had the funds right now, I would snatch up the new Sigma 70-200mm OS as it would be perfect for what I need it for. And I do believe the OS is worth it (but only at long focal lengths)... but I do not have the funds for that right now (I also would like to get the K-5 in the near time future), and I need a fairly immediate solution. So what do I do?

11-30-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd go to my local pro shop and rent a Canon 7D and the Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS MkII lens.

M
11-30-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
I'd go to my local pro shop and rent a Canon 7D and the Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS MkII lens.

M
I'd rent a D300 + Sigma 100-300 f4 HSM! (Or Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR II.)

11-30-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Do you mean I really have to jump ship?

No, I do not like the color output from Canon. Nor the ergonomics.

Nikon? Phooey. Maybe the D7000?

I just bought the DA* 55mm... I have too much invested to jump. I'd for sure end up dropping at least one lens in the ocean, if not more. Yikes!

How much faster does the K-5 really spin the screw drive motor? Would it make the Tamron a more viable option (i.e. focus tracking)?

11-30-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

That Tamron is kinda known for NOT being a fast-focusing lens regardless of the camera it's mounted on...

That said, it would greatly help to know what sports are you trying to shoot and with which camera body...
11-30-2010, 03:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
it would greatly help to know what sports are you trying to shoot and with which camera body...
K-7 is my baby. I shoot outdoor night time soccer, indoor basketball, indoor volleyball, outdoor running, etc.
Basically a mix of everything! I'm the official photographer for the recreation district for my city.
11-30-2010, 03:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

"Night" and "indoor" are not Pentax friends... even with the fastest focusing lens... even on K5.... Let's put it this way, if you're making money out of it... It's worth looking into CaNikon... if however it's just a hobby of yours, K5 and screw-driven lenses can still manage it.
12-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ha ha! We lost all the good posts...

12-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #9

I will stay out of the discussion this time. :-)
12-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

My post is gone, but I think Ubuntu remembers it

I will say that while I love the K-7 for good natural light shooting, it was a struggle to use it for night and indoor sports. I made it work, but it was a challenge. The K-5 has made it where I'm fighting the camera a lot less, and am able to invest more of my ability trying to get a good shot, rather than just a shot in focus.
12-02-2010, 08:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Impartial Quote
I will stay out of the discussion this time. :-)
I enjoyed your comments...

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
My post is gone, but I think Ubuntu remembers it

I will say that while I love the K-7 for good natural light shooting, it was a struggle to use it for night and indoor sports. I made it work, but it was a challenge. The K-5 has made it where I'm fighting the camera a lot less, and am able to invest more of my ability trying to get a good shot, rather than just a shot in focus.
Mhm. I remember. You drove me even harder toward the K-5! :P

At this point, I'm thinking that my next move is going to be to get the Sigma 50-150mm and then wait for the K-5 to come down a bit in price and then... I'll snatch it.
12-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #12
krs
Site Supporter

I have had reasonable success with the FA 50mm with indoor martial arts competitions. I have also used the Tamron 70-200 F/2.8 and was having trouble. I later realized the aperture was going sticky, and have since sent it in for repair.

Shooting manual focus I assume is an option too....
12-02-2010, 08:56 AM   #13

Photos: Albums
In regards to your original question, I dont think the DA* 50-135 would be a very good option at all for sports. The focus speed on this lens has got to be as slow as any other lens I own. While the SDM motors arent speed demons by any means, the longer than normal focus throw on this lens slows it down if the camera hunts at all during focusing. The flip side is that the IQ on this lens is fantastic, and the longer focus throw makes manual focusing a lot more pleasant.

Screw drive lenses tend to operate quite a bit faster than the SDM lenses, albeit noisier. If none of the current options suit you, you might want to look at a used FA* 80-200, although to be honest Im not sure of its current market value or if the focus throw on that lens will be hinderance as well. Its a rather well regarded lens...
12-02-2010, 09:10 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxScott Quote
If none of the current options suit you, you might want to look at a used FA* 80-200, although to be honest Im not sure of its current market value or if the focus throw on that lens will be hinderance as well. Its a rather well regarded lens...
I was going to ask about that. Has anyone out there tried the FA*80-200 for sports? If it was a solution for sports, it might be worth the weight and cost.
12-02-2010, 09:49 AM   #15
Veteran Member

One area where Canon and Nikon had the obvious advantage is sports, but I think the K5 has changed that with faster AF and higher ISO capability, plus the DR is amazing. Changing brands is an option, but as you said, you're already invested, so I suggest considering a K5.