Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2010, 02:21 PM   #31
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Ira, you scored a good one, congrats; I have one but looks different from yours as mine does not have the A/M switch - so I pushed the PIN in (seems to stay there pretty good) so I can use Av mode on my K10D. It is a very nice metal lens and good optics - I am not sure if mine is made by Tomoika, but yours (as well as the Sears 1.4) looks more like it.
With my missing cover on the A/M switch you would never notice the switch unless you looked for it. But since you say yours is manual, yours is more vintage than mine.

I don't ever shoot these lenses in Av mode, only M. Av mode with M42 lenses underexposes horribly on the Kx.

I hardly shot CRAP the last two hours, but I'm about to walk around the block to get some pics to post. But I have to tell you:

This lens is so far SIGNIFICANTLY superior to my Taks when it comes to ease of focus and getting focus confirmation in M mode. The focusing rings seems to be a LOT tighter and more precise than every Tak I own. In addition, the aperture ring is a bit tight, but not horribly so at all.

So I don't know if that's because of the original design (which is good), or age (which is bad).

But as you manual shooters know, this doesn't matter at all. We normally set our aperture first anyway, and work backwards from there.

When I take my walk, I want to find some wide open 1.4 flower shots to do, although I basically detest flower shots.

12-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
With my missing cover on the A/M switch you would never notice the switch unless you looked for it. But since you say yours is manual, yours is more vintage than mine.

I don't ever shoot these lenses in Av mode, only M. Av mode with M42 lenses underexposes horribly on the Kx.

I hardly shot CRAP the last two hours, but I'm about to walk around the block to get some pics to post. But I have to tell you:

This lens is so far SIGNIFICANTLY superior to my Taks when it comes to ease of focus and getting focus confirmation in M mode. The focusing rings seems to be a LOT tighter and more precise than every Tak I own. In addition, the aperture ring is a bit tight, but not horribly so at all.

So I don't know if that's because of the original design (which is good), or age (which is bad).

But as you manual shooters know, this doesn't matter at all. We normally set our aperture first anyway, and work backwards from there.

When I take my walk, I want to find some wide open 1.4 flower shots to do, although I basically detest flower shots.
Thanks, Ira, I look forward to seeing your wonderful shots. And I will share mine when I get to it - though I have several m42, including auto-Chinon (2 variants), Cosina, Rikenon and Yashinon in the 50-55mm 1.4 range.
12-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #33
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Thanks, Ira, I look forward to seeing your wonderful shots. And I will share mine when I get to it - though I have several m42, including auto-Chinon (2 variants), Cosina, Rikenon and Yashinon in the 50-55mm 1.4 range.
So which of the above should I look to buy next, especially since Monday is my birthday!? (True.)

I seem to be getting a real bug up my a** about the 50s. I've always HAD this bug, but the feel of this particular lens is really inspiring me to go even further and even more ridiculous with my collection.

I didn't think I would ever find a more solid build and smooth operation as my better Taks, but this lens seems to deliver it.

We'll soon see if the results match the handling.
12-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #34
Veteran Member

What lens do you recommend I hunt for first?
Since I don't know Exakta glass from a holo in the round, my criteria for buying such lenses are that they must be 1) inexpensive, 2) low-cost, and 3) cheap. Small would be good too. And lotsa iris blades. Of the three that I have, the Meyer Primagon 35/4.5 (US$24, 160g, 10 blades) is right on the edge, while the Meyer Helioplan 40/4.5 (US$12, 100g, 12 blades) and CZJ Tessar 50/2.8 (US$7, 110g, 12 blades) certainly qualify. I've been wandering around with the Tessar at f/4 today, getting nice shots with sharp subjects and creamy bokeh.

I also have a Schacht Albinar 135/4.5 (US$25, 290g, 18 blades) that is for sale NOW on eBay for unrelated reasons. Hey, that's the lens you should buy! It's still sitting at one buck. I'll probably take a beating on it. Go ahead, whomp me upside the head. I'll just lay here bleeding...

12-03-2010, 05:07 PM   #35
Site Supporter

I'm going to have my friend modify my 135 2.8 SX for me, and I see how it can wind up coming out a little ugly without the proper setup.

I'm assuming he can gently mount it in a vice and use the Dremel to grind the rim down, without having to disassemble the lens, right?
Possibly but I think its better to gently remove the mount before working on it and keep the rest of the lens safe far away from debries
12-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #36
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote

I also have a Schacht Albinar 135/4.5 (US$25, 290g, 18 blades) that is for sale NOW on eBay for unrelated reasons. Hey, that's the lens you should buy! It's still sitting at one buck. I'll probably take a beating on it. Go ahead, whomp me upside the head. I'll just lay here bleeding...
Don't care for the length. All of my efforts are now 55 and wider.
12-03-2010, 08:29 PM   #37

Can I just say, too, about that Mamiya lens and ones of similar vintage, those are masterpieces of industrial design. It's the substantial chrome nose and the mostly minimalist typeface on the bezel. Very mid-century modern! Not to be superficial, but, they're unbelievably beautiful, and, sorry, much more so than the Taks. Must resist LBA and not buy lenses optically redundant to those I already have just because they're gorgeous...

--Dave
12-04-2010, 03:13 PM   #38
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I've only taken a few shots and haven't posted anything yet.

Been too busy arguing and fighting with the wife over stupid things.

02-28-2011, 10:10 PM   #39
Forum Member

I was gifted a 1000 DTL with one simply attached. Along with a couple of textbooks I learned photography. Ten years later I'm using it on my k110. My favorite lens. Period.
03-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #40
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtf_cowboy Quote
I was gifted a 1000 DTL with one simply attached. Along with a couple of textbooks I learned photography. Ten years later I'm using it on my k110. My favorite lens. Period.
Thanks for reminding me how much I loved this lens.

Time to stick her on there again!
03-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Thanks for reminding me how much I loved this lens.
Is that essentially the same lens as the Sears Auto (Tomioka) 55/1.4 that I got for two bucks a couple months ago?

QuoteQuote:
Time to stick her on there again!
Stop panting so hard, you'll frighten the 'gators.
03-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #42

Photos: Gallery
OK. I am reading this thread and getting more confused. Those of you that have the Mamiya/Sekor or Sears/Sekor, the SX or the non-SX version, which one would fit on a Pentax DSLR (mine is a k-x) with an M42 adapter without requiring any modification. I would appreciate your response. I want to get the 55mm 1.4 lens on ebay.
03-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #43
Site Supporter

The SX version will not fit on a Pentax adapter without modification as detailed here.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/124431-mamya-sekor-dx-lenses.html
03-13-2011, 12:03 AM   #44

OK. Thanks. I guess I will see if it is worth modifying it or selling it here or on ebay.