Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2010, 07:25 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Congratulations Ira. Looking forward to seeing how it does.

12-02-2010, 10:53 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Congratulations on the M/S 55/1.4!

Now what would you say if I told you that I have a mint condition 1000 DTL in full working order on the shelf behind me...

Steve
12-03-2010, 02:46 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Congrats on your new/old baby, Ira! I'll have to keep an eye out for that model. Maybe I'll get lucky again. My fastest Mamiya is a 55/1.8 that snuck in for US$14. And for 2.5 years now my only f/1.4 has been the FA50 I started with on the K20D. But in the past month or so, 1.4's have been falling into my lap at ridiculous prices. First a Sears Auto (Tomioka) 55 for $24, then a Yashica ML 50 for $10, then yet ANOTHER Sears Auto 55 for $2 (TWO F***ING BUCKS!!), and now a pristine SuperTak 50 for $53. My bin runneth over. Not that I mind.

All those other 1.4's, and my Helios-44, Yashinon-DX50/1.7, even the Petri CC 55/1.8, all seem like monsters compared to the SuperTak 50/1.4. How does your new/old Mamiya compare in size?

Side note: I've discovered a simple painless CHEAP way to adapt Exakta-mount lenses to PK. I first applied it to a shiny-metal CZJ Tessar 50/2.8, not too much bigger nor heavier than an Industar-50. The difference: 12 iris blades! Bokeh monster! All those 1.4's get by with a paltry 6 or 8 blades. Pshah. And now I can look for cheap fast Exakta glass. My LBA doom deepens...
12-03-2010, 03:03 AM   #19
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Congrats on your new/old baby, Ira! I'll have to keep an eye out for that model. Maybe I'll get lucky again. My fastest Mamiya is a 55/1.8 that snuck in for US$14. And for 2.5 years now my only f/1.4 has been the FA50 I started with on the K20D. But in the past month or so, 1.4's have been falling into my lap at ridiculous prices. First a Sears Auto (Tomioka) 55 for $24, then a Yashica ML 50 for $10, then yet ANOTHER Sears Auto 55 for $2 (TWO F***ING BUCKS!!), and now a pristine SuperTak 50 for $53. My bin runneth over. Not that I mind.

All those other 1.4's, and my Helios-44, Yashinon-DX50/1.7, even the Petri CC 55/1.8, all seem like monsters compared to the SuperTak 50/1.4. How does your new/old Mamiya compare in size?

Side note: I've discovered a simple painless CHEAP way to adapt Exakta-mount lenses to PK. I first applied it to a shiny-metal CZJ Tessar 50/2.8, not too much bigger nor heavier than an Industar-50. The difference: 12 iris blades! Bokeh monster! All those 1.4's get by with a paltry 6 or 8 blades. Pshah. And now I can look for cheap fast Exakta glass. My LBA doom deepens...
Isn't your Sears Tomioka actually the same lens?

As far as size goes, I didn't get it yet, but I think I read that it's pretty big and heavy compared to the Taks.

12-03-2010, 06:45 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Not an SX, which for their M42s, needs major modification to mount on the K-M42 adapter.
I guess I suspected yours not being SX and yes, they do require some modifications. I have made them on my 200 and 28mm's. Quite simple mod to make but mine doesnt look good. Theres that "rim" around the mount that has to be filed down and without proper tools its quite difficult to make it look good.
But its worth it. I use these lenses almost daily. I even added a PK Mount to them and had to again modify the 200mm to get infinity with the PK Mount.

I do have a 55mm 1.8 non SX that I use as a reverse lens. Very good resolution.
12-03-2010, 07:12 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I've been dying for this lens since day one. It's the same lens I had on my Mamiya Sekor 1000DTL SLR in 1974, when I was 17.

59 bucks plus shipping:

MINT Mamiya/Sekor w/ Pentax M42 screw mt 55mm f1.4 lens - eBay (item 130460773457 end time Dec-01-10 14:43:00 PST)

I'm happy, happy, happy.

This lens comes as close to the magic of a Tak 50 1.4 as any other.
Why it took so long to get one? It's not that they are super rare, they are widely available on eBay, at least enough for me to grab 17 of them

They come in different designs and bodies so I'm collecting them as much as I can.
12-03-2010, 07:20 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Side note: I've discovered a simple painless CHEAP way to adapt Exakta-mount lenses to PK.
Do you have information about this somewhere?

12-03-2010, 08:45 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are you going to share or are you going to keep it a secret?
12-03-2010, 08:49 AM   #24
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Why it took so long to get one? It's not that they are super rare, they are widely available on eBay, at least enough for me to grab 17 of them

They come in different designs and bodies so I'm collecting them as much as I can.
Every one I came across on eBay wound up selling for $100 and more, and I didn't want to go that high. And I kept screwing up if the oddball low price DID show up, but that was extremely rare.
12-03-2010, 08:52 AM   #25
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aliasant Quote
I guess I suspected yours not being SX and yes, they do require some modifications. I have made them on my 200 and 28mm's. Quite simple mod to make but mine doesnt look good. Theres that "rim" around the mount that has to be filed down and without proper tools its quite difficult to make it look good.
But its worth it. I use these lenses almost daily. I even added a PK Mount to them and had to again modify the 200mm to get infinity with the PK Mount.

I do have a 55mm 1.8 non SX that I use as a reverse lens. Very good resolution.
I'm going to have my friend modify my 135 2.8 SX for me, and I see how it can wind up coming out a little ugly without the proper setup.

I'm assuming he can gently mount it in a vice and use the Dremel to grind the rim down, without having to disassemble the lens, right?
12-03-2010, 09:02 AM   #26
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
SHE'S HERE! AND ASIDE FROM MISSING THE LITTLE COVER FOR THE A/M SWITCH, SHE'S BEAUTIFUL!

Focus is even smoother and tighter than most of my Taks! (Although it seems to be a long throw, if there is such a thing for focus). Glass is spotless without a speck of dust to be seen. She lines up fine (a little off center). Plus that cool chrome! (She's a bit bigger than a 50 Tak, in a good way.)

As an added bonus, I've been using a not so great Cokin type CP on all of my lenses, although I have two new 55mm Hoyas. Long story why I have two new ones, but I was always too lazy or too cheap to buy the step-up rings.

Well, since this lens takes 55, I'm in business--and the hood is courtesy of my Cokin, three stacked modules. This makes it real easy to rotate the filter too--just rotate the hood!

Can't wait to get out there with it today! The camera never looked prettier!

But there isn't a Mamiya Club here, so where the heck do I post photos!?
12-03-2010, 10:17 AM   #27
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Congratulations on the M/S 55/1.4!

Now what would you say if I told you that I have a mint condition 1000 DTL in full working order on the shelf behind me...

Steve
I was tempted to pull the trigger on one a few months, but as it is, I have 4 Spotties that I never use.

Also, the one I had in high school was black, and those don't show up too often.

But there's a hole in my heart for it because someone stole it from my locker!

God Bless Brooklyn.

Last edited by Ira; 12-03-2010 at 10:57 AM.
12-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Are you going to share or are you going to keep it a secret?
It's all right here: ANNOUNCING: Easy cheap non-destructive Exakta-Pentax adapter

What it boils down to is this: A cheap M39-M42 adapter ring fits easily around an Exakta bayonet; use glue to hold it there. Exakta register (flange focal distance) is ~0.75mm shorter than Pentax Register, so grind about that much from the flange on a Bower-type M42-PK adapter. How to grind it? On 100-grit sandpaper. See the link for details.
12-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #29
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It's all right here: ANNOUNCING: Easy cheap non-destructive Exakta-Pentax adapter

What it boils down to is this: A cheap M39-M42 adapter ring fits easily around an Exakta bayonet; use glue to hold it there. Exakta register (flange focal distance) is ~0.75mm shorter than Pentax Register, so grind about that much from the flange on a Bower-type M42-PK adapter. How to grind it? On 100-grit sandpaper. See the link for details.
You had to show me this, huh? I have a 39-42 adapter for my Mir (which is mechanically challenged at the moment), and two Bower adapters just taking up space.

What lens do you recommend I hunt for first?
12-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #30
Veteran Member

SHE'S HERE! AND ASIDE FROM MISSING THE LITTLE COVER FOR THE A/M SWITCH, SHE'S BEAUTIFUL!

Focus is even smoother and tighter than most of my Taks! (Although it seems to be a long throw, if there is such a thing for focus). Glass is spotless without a speck of dust to be seen. She lines up fine (a little off center). Plus that cool chrome! (She's a bit bigger than a 50 Tak, in a good way.)

As an added bonus, I've been using a not so great Cokin type CP on all of my lenses, although I have two new 55mm Hoyas. Long story why I have two new ones, but I was always too lazy or too cheap to buy the step-up rings.

Well, since this lens takes 55, I'm in business--and the hood is courtesy of my Cokin, three stacked modules. This makes it real easy to rotate the filter too--just rotate the hood!

Can't wait to get out there with it today! The camera never looked prettier!

But there isn't a Mamiya Club here, so where the heck do I post photos!?
Ira, you scored a good one, congrats; I have one but looks different from yours as mine does not have the A/M switch - so I pushed the PIN in (seems to stay there pretty good) so I can use Av mode on my K10D. It is a very nice metal lens and good optics - I am not sure if mine is made by Tomoika, but yours (as well as the Sears 1.4) looks more like it.