Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2007, 11:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Vivitar Series 1 35-85/2.8 ( 72mm ) question

Does anybody have this lens ?? Is it an "A" setting lens ? Thanks in advance .

09-26-2007, 10:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

This lens was an old one and probably didn't make it to the Pentax KA Mount era. I'm not certain though.

Anyhow, it seems like a great but chunky. If you can get one for a decent price, why not? Vivitar Series 1 was when Vivitar tried everything in their power to beat out the big OEM guys and suceeded in many occasions. Even today, there is a strong cult following of Vivitar's pre Cosina era Series 1 lenses.

Cosina makes ok stuff but not up to par with the vivitar specs that Kiron, tokina, and Komine had to meet.
09-28-2007, 10:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Pete . I think I will put it on the back burner for a while . You're right : it is quite old but was the "star" of its time.
09-29-2007, 05:25 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I've got one in M42 mount, it's a chunk of glass. Extremely well made. It's Vari-Focus, if you zoom you have to refocus on the subject. Close focus to 9". Images are toned 'cool', soft at 2.8. Will CA on you in contrasty scenes.

10-07-2007, 09:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks thazoo .

Now I know what "Vari-focus" means . It's still there at the store ! It seems that I am the only one who buys Pentax there ! LOL !

+ Note : Now that we mention this lens on the net : it will be flying off the shelf !!! +
10-07-2007, 11:39 PM   #6

It's been tested by one of the german photomags of those days.
I remeber quite well because my brother has this lens (with his old Minolta).

Wide opened not that sharp/contrasty but in the center it is.
Vario-focus like the next-generations' 2.8-3.8/28-105 which isn't as well-built like the 35-85.

It's been a special thing with those Vivitar-lenses
- close-focus ability
- build-quality
- therefore quite heavy...

:-) Paul
10-09-2007, 08:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
This lens was an old one and probably didn't make it to the Pentax KA Mount era. I'm not certain though.
I have never seen one of these in Ka-mount trim. I suspect that none of these were made after the late 1970's, and were a few years too old for the Ka-era.

It's an unusual lens of quite high quality, which got a fairly recent (decades after it was produced) very positive review in Shutterbug magazine.

01-06-2009, 04:26 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Digging up an old thread here, but I got one of these with a with a bunch of other kit on the bay. I've only tested it on my Canon 40D at present but will be my walkaround for my Spotmatic as well as seeing some time on my 40D for portrature.

It's soft at 2.8, but sharpens up nicely when stopped down. The Vario Focus has never been a problem and it isn't really heavy compared to modern AF zooms. The hood that comes with it is useless and adding a larger one has helped considerably. I haven't noticed any CA problems in real usage, even in harsh lighting.
02-14-2009, 07:08 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by martinsmith99 Quote
Digging up an old thread here, but I got one of these with a with a bunch of other kit on the bay. I've only tested it on my Canon 40D at present but will be my walkaround for my Spotmatic as well as seeing some time on my 40D for portrature.

It's soft at 2.8, but sharpens up nicely when stopped down. The Vario Focus has never been a problem and it isn't really heavy compared to modern AF zooms. The hood that comes with it is useless and adding a larger one has helped considerably. I haven't noticed any CA problems in real usage, even in harsh lighting.
If/when you want to try it on a newer Pentax AF or DSLR body, you might first check for (and remove, if necessary) the excessive baffle or shield that some of these old VS1 gems have/had.

See Re: My Old Lenses: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
02-14-2009, 10:41 PM   #10

I got a Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm K mount, No A. Still works great.