Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2010, 12:53 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Why are you keeping them in a dark camera bag with no air circulation?

I live in Tropical North Queensland (10deg south), and I never store my gear in camera bags but leave then on open shelves with lots of air circulation and 3-4 metres across from the airconditioner. I have several very old lenses and check them regularly and dust/polish them and this keeps them mould free.

My next choice would be translucent sided plastic storage cases. I have a number of lens cases and pouches stored in these and there is no mould build up in these either. Direct light is a natural mould inhibitor.

12-03-2010, 09:35 AM   #17

Sorry to disapoint you but silica gel is no good, I live in Thailand where the humidity in the rainy season is immense ether an air conditioned room or a dry cabinet I have the dry cabinet works a treat. Once fungus has started to grow only way out is a pro clean up I know from experience. IAN
12-03-2010, 10:08 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you can try "SAGROTAN" sorry i have only the German link
it is a very strong liquid antibacteria and antifungus which is usually used in hospitals

i used it with pads, which i kept for several days on the fungus
and it worked very well

and do not put the infected lens on any body, keep it seperate
good luck
12-03-2010, 10:11 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Try this online site for the Gel packs, I got mine from them. Lots of sizes and options to choose from.

Silica Gel Desiccant Dehumidifiers - Eliminate Moisture! - SilicaGelPackets.com

Phil.
40 Gram Silica Gel Desiccant Dehumidifier Aluminum Indicating Canister - SilicaGelPackets.com

I believe are pretty good for storing in bags on the go and reusing them, while the bigger ones you can keep in a cabinet:

http://www.silicagelpackets.com/dry-packs-dehumidifier-products/

That's my plan, anyway. What did you guys use?

12-04-2010, 07:08 AM   #20

It's worth noting that Silica Gel is a fungal prophylactic, due to its desiccating properties. It is not a fungal treatment if you have an outbreak.

My airtight lens box is 5-10% desiccant. I monitor its effectiveness with a cheap thermometer/hygrometer that I can see through the plastic box.

To be triple sure, I have some blotting paper soaked with p-chlorocresol, an anti-fungal, in with it. The p-chlorocresol was recommended (and provided) to me by a biologist in Australia who frequently sends research teams into rainforest environments with high-end microscopes. He says that they put strips of it inside the cases AND instruments (but clear of the optical path) and never have a problem with fungus.

None of this will obviate the need to have your lenses cleaned if they already have an infection.
12-04-2010, 08:15 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Silica gel needs regular maintenance.

Silica gel works like a water bucket. A full bucket must be emptied before it will hold any more water. Silica gel that is full of water acts as a moisture source instead of absorbing moisture. Un-maintained silica gel packets among camera gear act as moisture sources, causing problems such as creating a fungal growth environment.

Solution? RE-NEW SILICA GEL REGULARLY!:

Silica gel heated above 100C/212F will dry, enabling re-use. Do not heat above 150C/300F, as poisonous gasses are produced.
12-04-2010, 09:28 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
Silica gel needs regular maintenance.

Silica gel works like a water bucket. A full bucket must be emptied before it will hold any more water. Silica gel that is full of water acts as a moisture source instead of absorbing moisture. Un-maintained silica gel packets among camera gear act as moisture sources, causing problems such as creating a fungal growth environment.

Solution? RE-NEW SILICA GEL REGULARLY!:

Silica gel heated above 100C/212F will dry, enabling re-use. Do not heat above 150C/300F, as poisonous gasses are produced.
That's why I have always preferred the packs that change color as an indicator of how much water has been absorbed. Takes a good bit of the guesswork out of the maintenance part of using them.

12-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I use and love these, as they are really cheap (about half the price and you can portion them out as needed to different places (geting the 50 grams and some extra bags), plus the muslin bags are a lot more flexible for usage than those metal bricks: Silica Gel Desiccant and Acid Free Tissue Paper
12-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #24
Veteran Member

In addition to using Silica Gel, plain Tea leaves and even table salt can also be used in the general store area.

Tea is obviously not as effective a dessicant as the Gel but can be renewed regularly at low cost plus the leaves may be more regularly dried without harm. Anything that will absorb excess moisture/humidity can be tried (not in the immediate lens vicinity though).

There's no substitute for an occasional 'airing' and exposure to good sunlight for stored lenses. I've found plastic resealable food bags (plus a little S.Gel) very good and whatever you do, don't store a lens in a leather pouch/case. One shouldn't get paranoid about fungus. It's preventable using sensible precautions.

Last edited by fotaki; 12-05-2010 at 06:07 AM.