Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Well, I have to say that while I loved the Voigtlander and it got me as close as I wanted (even without a closeup accessory), I prefer the 100 WR overall.

It's faster, just as sharp and the AF is really quick, especially when you use it as a short tele (I like to do candids, and I find it works great for that). It's also really light, but has a great build at the same time. I really think the 100 WR has it all and I sold the 90.

The 90 was a jewel, and I think anybody would be lucky to have either one of these lenses, but I don't have any regrets.

12-06-2010, 10:10 PM   #17
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
Focus screens do not affect AF at all, but they can affect metering.
They can affect AF with slower lenses. Screens that are good for MF get darker for small apertures. And it's a bigger problem with AF confirmation once you use older lenses with manual aperture.
12-06-2010, 11:14 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Les, you might want to consider the Tokina/Vivitar S1 90/2.5 as well, if you can find one.

12-07-2010, 12:29 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
Les, you might want to consider the Tokina/Vivitar S1 90/2.5 as well, if you can find one.
I having trouble finding information on it. Is it called Tokina/Vivitar or just Tokina? Thanks for the suggestion.

12-07-2010, 12:47 AM   #20
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
I having trouble finding information on it. Is it called Tokina/Vivitar or just Tokina? Thanks for the suggestion.
I think Pentaxor is referring to a lens from the first wave of Vivitar Series 1 lenses. It's pretty rare. I've only seen one for sale and it was in pretty bad condition. I wasn't aware it was made by Tokina though. It's mentioned here, but I'd be surprised if it's coming even close to the Voigtlander in terms of sharpness/CA control. And I'd bet it suffers from PF wide open. Of all the lenses mentioned, the Voigtlander is the only one with an APO designation, so it should have the best CA control you can get in this focal length.
12-07-2010, 01:18 AM   #21
Veteran Member

it's either Tokina or Vivitar. both of them are 90/2.5 and practically the same lens but different brand and some difference in coating as some had suggested.

sharpness and contrast are great and a bit better than my FA100 macro. sharpness seem to be equal to the Sigma 70. contrast is better from what I have seen so far. but what I really like about this lens is it's color rendering and bokeh.

CA is not a problem and pretty well-controlled, although there are very tiny bits/shades of pf at wide open in a few scenarios, but not that obvious or prevalent. other words negligible. the only time that I encountered some CA is when I use a TC with it, which is understandable due to the nature of TCs. other than that, the lens is great even at wide open. a stop down at f4 is more than enough for a non-issue for portraits, much so at macro apertures. great for both purpose.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 12-07-2010 at 01:24 AM.
12-07-2010, 08:43 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Do any of you know about the quality of the included Voightlander "added close up lens"? I currently have a Raynox (which I stick on my 55-300), but have thought about using this Marumi DHG Achromat Macro instead. I don't do much macro, but the 35 Ltd. is a little difficult to use, the 90 would be better.

12-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
it's either Tokina or Vivitar. both of them are 90/2.5 and practically the same lens but different brand and some difference in coating as some had suggested.

sharpness and contrast are great and a bit better than my FA100 macro. sharpness seem to be equal to the Sigma 70. contrast is better from what I have seen so far. but what I really like about this lens is it's color rendering and bokeh.

CA is not a problem and pretty well-controlled, although there are very tiny bits/shades of pf at wide open in a few scenarios, but not that obvious or prevalent. other words negligible. the only time that I encountered some CA is when I use a TC with it, which is understandable due to the nature of TCs. other than that, the lens is great even at wide open. a stop down at f4 is more than enough for a non-issue for portraits, much so at macro apertures. great for both purpose.
I have this lens (and love it dearly), so let me give you a little more information. It was a Vivitar Series 1 lens, made by Tokina. When Vivitar stopped making it, Tokina made it under their own name (Tokina ATX). The Tokina version is a little lighter and not quite as amazing in build quality as the S1, but it does have newer coatings. The optics are identical. It is considered by some the best macro lens ever made (not only is the sharpness outstanding, but the bokeh, which has led to the nickname the "Bokina"). Modern photography had a test of it where it did unbeliveably, and it got a 4.6 on photodo. For some user opinions and tests (has been compared against the ultra-legendary Voighlander 125mm macro and held its own), see these:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/109174-sale-%5Bsold%5D-lengend...ml#post1125259
Tokina AT-X 2.5/90mm "The Bokina II"::Manual Focus Lenses
Making Not Taking: Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.5 VMC Bokina
12-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #24
Veteran Member

one thing to consider though is that the Voigtlander is a stop slower. the APO is a great addition though. but from my experience, CA is not that problematic on the Tokina/Vivitar compared to other lenses under extreme harsh conditions.
12-08-2010, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Well, I have to say that while I loved the Voigtlander and it got me as close as I wanted (even without a closeup accessory), I prefer the 100 WR overall.

It's faster, just as sharp and the AF is really quick, especially when you use it as a short tele (I like to do candids, and I find it works great for that). It's also really light, but has a great build at the same time. I really think the 100 WR has it all and I sold the 90.

The 90 was a jewel, and I think anybody would be lucky to have either one of these lenses, but I don't have any regrets.
Your switch to the 100 WR has interested me most because previously you seem to have been such a fan of the Voightlander. I appreciate what you've offered so far, but I wonder if you'd answer a couple more questions.

I am assuming your reasons for switching were more than LBA, that the change to the 100 WR was meant to give you a more usable kit. At least, that is behind my own investigations. One reason I wanted the Voightlander was for the rich way it renders colors, and bokeh; I consider that a "slot" in to fill as I build my kit. Sharpness, macro, wide and short to mid tele are also "slots." The fewer lenses I can fill the slots with the better, and the lighter the lens the better, but IQ is the absolute first priority.

I do most of my shooting between 20 and 100mm, and I currently have the 35mm Ltd; the 77 and 15 or 21 Limiteds are scheduled for future buys, As of yesterday I have the Voightlander 58mm which didn't take long to show me it clearly offers the lovely saturated color rendering and great bokeh I wanted -- so now the 90/100 slot now becomes even more flexible for me. One reason I've been in a hurry to decide is because of the decreasing availability of the Voightlander (I got the last 58mm Adorama had, and they have 1 90mm left as of yesterday).

Based on your experienced report, I am now more open to the 100 WR, so here's what I want to ask. In your trade of the 100 WR for the Voightlander, you obviously seem to believe you gained overall. But if you did lose anything specific in the trade, what was it? Also, how did the the 100 WR help your lens kit better than the Voightlander . . . was it adding the WR + AF + macro combination? Finally, comparing strictly IQ, which lens do you believe is superior?
12-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I am still a fan of the Voigtlander, but I do believe it was a gain overall, which says nothing bad about the Voigtlander, but what a great job Pentax did with the 100 WR.

The 100 WR is light but built very well. I think the Voigt still has the edge on build, but it's a bit heavier too (some like that).

Manual focus feel goes hands-down to the Voigtlander, but I think that's the only clear win.

They're both very sharp wide open, but that starts 2/3 of a stop sooner with the Pentax.

Now the rendering is going to be slightly different, but I think IQ is about even and I like them both. I could show you pics from each, and it would be really hard to tell the difference. They both have a tiny bit of purple fringing in some shots, but never really bad.

I definitely think the 100 WR fills more "slots!" Macro, short tele, and I do like the WR aspect-- nice alternative to a large DA* zoom to get that focal length and speed in one package.

I don't think I would've gone this close to my 3 year old with the hose (in the background of this shot) with the Voigtlander...

12-08-2010, 11:49 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
I am still a fan of the Voigtlander, but I do believe it was a gain overall, which says nothing bad about the Voigtlander, but what a great job Pentax did with the 100 WR.

The 100 WR is light but built very well. I think the Voigt still has the edge on build, but it's a bit heavier too (some like that).

Manual focus feel goes hands-down to the Voigtlander, but I think that's the only clear win.

They're both very sharp wide open, but that starts 2/3 of a stop sooner with the Pentax.

Now the rendering is going to be slightly different, but I think IQ is about even and I like them both. I could show you pics from each, and it would be really hard to tell the difference. They both have a tiny bit of purple fringing in some shots, but never really bad.

I definitely think the 100 WR fills more "slots!" Macro, short tele, and I do like the WR aspect-- nice alternative to a large DA* zoom to get that focal length and speed in one package.
Thank you, very informative (BTW, the newer Voightlander 90 is 20 grams lighter, and also more compact, than the Pentax 100 WR). Last night I was marveling over the manual focus of the Voightlander 58, it is very solid. Most of the time I have my camera on a tripod, and end up turning off AF anyway. Yet the 100 WR does seem to offer a lot, and also will be a better focal length match if I buy the 77 Ltd. Anyway, thanks again for your feedback.
12-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #28
Inactive Account

i would consider Pentax-A 100mm F2.8 Macro
12-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #29
Site Supporter

I can vouch for the tamron 90 2.8 di, fantastic lens