Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2010, 09:07 AM   #1

Tamron VS Sigma

If you had to choose between Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 XR LD aspherical IF lense or Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 EX DC OS HSM lense which would you choose? Why??
thxs
sunnybrooke

12-04-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tamron. It's cheaper, the OS version of that lens does not have the IQ of the non-OS version, and you already have OS in the body.
12-04-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I had and drowned the Tamron 17-50 and it was excellent in all respects, the equal to the DA* 16-50 and cheaper by $200 or so. I'm looking forward to the Sigma because the photozone MTF scores are off the charts, but that performance will push the price back into the 16-50 range,
Brian
12-04-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had to make the choice recently and chose the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 because HSM was important to me.

12-04-2010, 05:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
If you had to choose between Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 XR LD aspherical IF lense or Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 EX DC OS HSM lense which would you choose? Why??
thxs
sunnybrooke
I bought the Tamron, but this was over 2.5 years ago, before this Sigma was available. The MTF scores are even better on the Sigma, excluding wide open where the corners take a big fall off. The Tamron handles barrell distortion a little better @ 17mm than does the Sigma, though neither lens shines in this area--something important to me. I invested in Pentax's in-body stabilization, so I probably would not pay for OS in a lens. However, if HSM is important to you, the Sigma looks mighty appealing.

Both of these lenses are excellent choices--it all comes down to your priorities--really.

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 12-04-2010 at 07:59 PM.
12-05-2010, 04:32 PM   #6

Original Poster
lense choice

Thxs to all who replied. Now excuse me for asking a stupid question but I am new to this DSLR camera thing. I have a Pentax 20d camera. I can understand not wwant to pay for a lense with OS but why would HSM be important to me??
12-05-2010, 04:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sunnybrooke Quote
Thxs to all who replied. Now excuse me for asking a stupid question but I am new to this DSLR camera thing. I have a Pentax 20d camera. I can understand not wwant to pay for a lense with OS but why would HSM be important to me??
It is silent, and perhaps in some cases faster than the grind-grind of the screw-drive focusing motor.

After having the sound cues with other lenses for so long, it took a little getting used to.

As far a Tamron vs Sigma lenses you mention, I think there would be little noticeable image difference.

Last edited by SpecialK; 12-05-2010 at 06:58 PM.
12-05-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

HSM stands for Hyper-Sonic Motor, which is an in-lens motor used for focusing. It's main advantage over screw-driven lenses is the noise, or lack of, when focusing. My HSM lenses are very, very quiet, especially when compared to a screw-driven lens. In most outdoor conditions, out on the street with traffic, city noise, etc, then AF noise would be drowned out anyway, but when it's quiet, when you're shooting indoors, or trying to be discreet, then AF noise can be a distraction.

Real life example: I was shooting in a classroom (~40ppl), documenting a workshop someone was running. I had my FA35 on my K-7, I AF'ed, and the whole room heard the sound, and everyone looked in my direction; I changed over to MF after that.

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
As far a Tamron vs Sigma lenses you mention, I think there would be little noticeable difference.
Here's are two youtube videos I found of the Tamron 17-50mm/2.8 and it's focusing sound:

And here's one I did of the Sigma 17-50mm/2.8 on my K-7, and it's focusing sound:

Granted, there's different variables including different camera mounts, different cameras used to record the videos, etc, but that's more than a little noticeable difference to me.

12-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:

Granted, there's different variables including different camera mounts, different cameras used to record the videos, etc, but that's more than a little noticeable difference to me.
I was referring to image, not sound.
12-05-2010, 07:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I was referring to image, not sound.
Sorry, bit of a miss-read on my part. The OP was asking about why HSM would be important, and then your first two sentences in the reply were also talking about AF sound

But hey, at least the OP now should have an idea of what HSM is
12-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Sigma IQ seems better at the center, although the Tamron seems to have a more balanced IQ throughout the frame from wide open. the other things that separates both lenses is that one is way cheaper and the other one has HSM.
12-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I never realized there was that much audible difference, thanks for posting,
Brian
12-06-2010, 04:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
I never realized there was that much audible difference, thanks for posting
Not to imply in a negative way that you're ignorant, but your quote made me think of the saying "ignorance is bliss".

I too used to be quite happy with my screw-driven lenses and the AF sound (because I didn't know better and had nothing to compare it to), until I started going out on shoots with people from my uni's photography club. Amongst the sounds of all the shutters clicking, you'd hear the AF noise from my lenses, whereas everyone else had whisper quiet USM/SWM on their lenses...