Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When fungus attacks?

When fungus has attacked a lens and the lens was stored in a container, box, lens case, etc. do you typically throw that item out as a potential source of contamination?

I understand that hard plastic and metal items can be adequately cleaned. But what about nylon and other materials used for cases or porous materials used for storage?

12-04-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What would be the point? If a lens is stored properly it won't get fungus, stored improperly it will get fungus. Fungus needs 3 things to grow: darkness, moisture, and a food source. Dust provides the food source, all you need to add are darkness and a humid environment. Spores are present everywhere, the lens will already have spores in it by the time it leaves the factory.
12-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
What would be the point? If a lens is stored properly it won't get fungus, stored improperly it will get fungus. Fungus needs 3 things to grow: darkness, moisture, and a food source. Dust provides the food source, all you need to add are darkness and a humid environment. Spores are present everywhere, the lens will already have spores in it by the time it leaves the factory.
Well, concentration of spores, proven positive environment, I could go on but there is a point
12-04-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Take two disposable water bottles. Empty both of water. Put the cap on one and leave the cap off the other. Store them next to each other (it doesn't even need to be a dark place). Because the open one has airflow and can dry out it will be fine (possibly dusty) indefinitely. Open the capped bottle after a week, it will be nasty. Why? because the air was trapped. But are you going to throw out the other water bottle that was stored next to it?

The same is true with lenses. I don't believe that there is any specific lens fungus. Lenses try to be airtight but that means it's difficult for air to get out. If you live in a humid environment or use them with as much as a drop of rain then you could have water in the lens. If you then store it in camera bag then you might get fungus.

12-05-2010, 07:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting responses to this one. It seems to me that people are taking an odd view about mold and spores. Since they "are everywhere" controlling or attempting to control the presence or amount of spores is to be ignored and instead we should focus solely on stopping them from becoming active via humidity control and the presence of UV light.

Seems odd. So, as an analogy: Why not use a soiled tissue (I only sneezed in it once) because you've had your flu shot and are taking your vitamins. Flu and Cold germs are everywhere anyway so lets not worry about that end of the equation - that would be stupid. Lets just worry about treatment and other preventative measures

No, I'll take my own advice and throw out porous materials and clean non-porous items that have been the site of mold infestations - thank you very much.
12-05-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You're welcome to throw out a perfectly good camera bag but it's not the problem. The reason that I've suggested humidity control is that mold doesn't grow in dry environments (warmth is also bad). That's the key to mold prevention. Keep your lenses in low humidity environments and keep them dry when using them.
12-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
You're welcome to throw out a perfectly good camera bag but it's not the problem. The reason that I've suggested humidity control is that mold doesn't grow in dry environments (warmth is also bad). That's the key to mold prevention. Keep your lenses in low humidity environments and keep them dry when using them.
Not ignoring humidity control at all. Merely pointing out that the vector may need to be addressed too.
12-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Not ignoring humidity control at all. Merely pointing out that the vector may need to be addressed too.
so by that logic you should not even use a camera bag, because it likely has mold spores already in it when you buy it. its infected, its porous. it must be tossed. how often will you throw away your hard earned bags and cases because they are infected already? will you have a set schedule for wasting your money? the others are right. you cant really get rid of it, you can only hope to control it. I just don’t see how your view will do you any good in the end.