Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2010, 01:28 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Finally Bought Some Decent Lenses!

Well, the big brown truck arrived yesturday with my new lenses. I'll be getting a lot of use out of these.

The DA 40 Limited is GREAT! I haven't used the Sigma yet.

12-05-2010, 02:39 AM   #2

They surely make an odd couple!

Why did you chose the Sigma over the Pentax 55-300? A longer zoom is on my wish list also, but from what I've read on the net I tend towards the Pentax, but I'm interested in other opinions of course.
And as there is still no sign of an 55-300 WR...

If the DA 40 Limited is something like my 35 Macro, I don't wonder you are impressed! (More limiteds are also on my wish list... )
12-05-2010, 02:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

aw,

i think i would pay the extra for the DA 55-300
12-05-2010, 08:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
LOL....my initial reaction was, "Why didn't he post a picture of the Pentax lens"? Until I looked closer and realized that the tiny little thing on the right was not a lens cap, but was in fact a lens!

12-05-2010, 10:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've done MANY hours or research before making my decision for the Sigma. I bought the sigma over the Pentax because there were many posts on many sites of people who had both and couldn't tell the difference between the two.

Also, on the DXO site, the Sigma beat out the Pentax handily in all measurements, CA, resolution, sharpness, etc. You can do a comparison right on their site between the two lenses.

It looks like a much more thorough looking review over that of photozone.de with many graphs for each test.

So, to my thoughts, even if many liked the Pentax over the Sigma, in reality there probably isn't very much difference at all, and in thorough tests, the Sigma actually seems to be the better lens.

I also have an old Sigma 70-200 F3.8 that has been my go-to tele lens. It has given me some great photos, so I thought the new Sigma wouldn't be that much of a gamble.

It also allowed me to buy the DA40 Limited, which I really wanted! Buying the Sigma saved enough money to pay for just about half of the DA 40 Limited.
12-05-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
Inactive Account

If You can't tell the difference and are happy with what you got, then it doesn't matter what the rest of us think. I had the Tamron version of that lens and found it to be quite a capable lens, even with it's shortcomings. I never used it though so I sold it. If I were to go Pentax to 300mm, which I Did, the DA* 300f4 is one of the toughest acts to follow. The DA40 is reported to be THE sharpest and fastest focusing lens in the DA Limited lineup If not the entire current Pentax lineup. Of course you realize now that you've started on the slippery slope of LBA (Limited Buying Addiction (I'm changing the meaning of the acronym)).

12-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I own the exact same Sigma lens and I have to say that at 300mm focal length the Sigma is very soft wide open and not sharp at all. I believe the 55-300 is better at the longer focal range but for 70-200 range the Sigma is very good and I really like it. It's only above the 200 range where you start to see a significant drop in sharpness.

But the DA40 LTD. That's just lovely. My next purchase I believe. Have lots of fun with it.
12-05-2010, 10:31 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Of course I tend to think that we make more of all of the differences in these lenses than really matters in reality. I have the 55-300 and like it a lot. I also have the much less regarded 50-200, and have enjoyed it as well.

The DA40 lives on the K-x most of the time. Small, fun and great IQ. 'Nuff said.

12-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah, the DA* 300 F4 is one of the lenses that I dream about. I just don't make enough money (and NO money with my photography) to be able to justify spending that much on one lens.

I shoot A LOT of nature photograph, so the DA 300 would be the ultimate for me. Maybe one day.
12-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I really like that DA 40! It seems to be very sharp, even at the edges at F2.8. I normally use telephotos because of what I shoot, but this lens might be glued to my Kx for a long time.

I posted some pictures I took with this lens while I was hiking yesturday in the DA Limited thread.
12-05-2010, 11:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
I've done MANY hours or research before making my decision for the Sigma. I bought the sigma over the Pentax because there were many posts on many sites of people who had both and couldn't tell the difference between the two.

Also, on the DXO site, the Sigma beat out the Pentax handily in all measurements, CA, resolution, sharpness, etc. You can do a comparison right on their site between the two lenses.

It looks like a much more thorough looking review over that of photozone.de with many graphs for each test.

So, to my thoughts, even if many liked the Pentax over the Sigma, in reality there probably isn't very much difference at all, and in thorough tests, the Sigma actually seems to be the better lens.

I also have an old Sigma 70-200 F3.8 that has been my go-to tele lens. It has given me some great photos, so I thought the new Sigma wouldn't be that much of a gamble.

It also allowed me to buy the DA40 Limited, which I really wanted! Buying the Sigma saved enough money to pay for just about half of the DA 40 Limited.
i don't know about better performance of the two, but i do know that the pentax is better looking...
12-05-2010, 11:24 AM   #12

Thanks for the detailed reply! I will definitely look at the DXO tests before making my final decision.

The price argument is another very good point, as I can't really decide between getting the 15mm limited or the 300mm zoom next...

Yeah, the DA* 300 F4 is one of the lenses that I dream about. I just don't make enough money (and NO money with my photography) to be able to justify spending that much on one lens.

I shoot A LOT of nature photograph, so the DA 300 would be the ultimate for me. Maybe one day.
Same here, the DA* would be perfect for me but like you I'm not a professional and funds are not unlimited.

Well it's all in the planning stage anyway, as I lost control and bought the K5 some weeks ago.
12-05-2010, 11:37 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have fun! The DA 40 is on my list. Unfortunately, that list has shown a tendency to metastasize uncontrollably. Beware! (echoing JeffJS above)
12-05-2010, 12:11 PM   #14
Inactive Account

I've actually used that Sigma, the corresponding Tamron and now own the Pentax DA 55-300mm. The Pentax DA 55-300mm is definitely a much better lens than the other two. It's so sharp and such a treat to use whereas the Tamron just plain sucked and the Sigma was a bit better than it.