Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2007, 06:05 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ANY LENS now allowed in Pentax Photo Gallery

From the Pentax Photo Gallery FAQ...

QuoteQuote:
Q: Can I submit images taken with any lens?

A: You can submit images taken with any PENTAX lens or a third party lens. PENTAX has over 24 million lenses so not all lenses will be listed. If you do not see your lens listed or you are using a third party lens, please select "unknown". You may write the lens in the notes section.
Not sure when they updated this but Pentax has finally decided to let you use any lens you like for submittals to the gallery. Still has to be shot using a PENTAX SLR of course...

09-26-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well...

as the lens can be just as important as the camera in producing a good photo, I see this as watering down the whole purpose of the Gallery.
09-26-2007, 07:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
as the lens can be just as important as the camera in producing a good photo, I see this as watering down the whole purpose of the Gallery.
I must agree and disagree with you.

Agree - This is the Pentax Photo Gallery after all and opening it up will displace emphasis on Pentax glass.

Disagree - One of the main pitches to the Pentax System is the ability for backwards compatibility. This is a total inclusive property so all pentax mounts. This update honours that.
09-26-2007, 07:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sorry Tom... You are certainly welcome to that opinion, but many of us feel differently. If Pentax were able to meet all of my lens requirements and I could afford their versions I would shoot Pentax 100%, but for now, I still have a few perfectly good older lenses, mainly my Vivitar S1 300mm, that I shoot with a lot.

Also, if you read it, they are not letting you say WHAT the non-Pentax lens was, so you can't say that you shot the photo with an old Nikon non-AI lens (which WILL fit your Pentax btw), therefor no real watering down goin on (IMHO).

Last edited by MRRiley; 09-26-2007 at 07:06 PM. Reason: addl comment
09-26-2007, 08:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

haha one of the employees at the camera store asked me why I was stepping backwards when I asked about Nikon non-Ai lenses. (he knows I shoot pentax)
09-27-2007, 04:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes, but...

isn't this somewhat like belonging to a vintage MG auto club and having a Triumph engine in your MGB?

It appears from the posts here that Pentax can't/hasn't wanted to produce affordable quality glass - or why else are so many using third party lenses?

Should they, perhaps, put a "Thank-you" on the home page to all the third party lens manufacturers for providing the lenses that allow many Pentax body owners to actually make photos?
09-27-2007, 06:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I think it will help to diversify the gallery some. Notice there are very few shots (in relation to all others) from lenses above 400mm. This is because Pentax doesn't have a lot available and those that are cost a fortune used. This limits a lot of sports photography and nature photography since most use long glass. I for one am happy that Pentax made that decision and because of it, two of my shots are now in the gallery (I had asked about it also). Before doing so, I would not have submitted them because rules are rules, but I appreciate them willing to allow me to display my work done with other lenses.

Should long Pentax glass be available and within what I can afford to spend, I'll definitely buy it and use it.
09-27-2007, 07:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My exact sentiments Paul.

09-27-2007, 05:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'd agree with Mike and Paul. Pentax itself does not have a healthy, currently available, lens lineup, with the aforementioned and ubiquitous long lenses missing. It would be a travesty to exclude wonderful works taken by a third-party zoom, as the image processing that partly helped in the creation of a photo is of Pentax engineering still.

In any case, isn't the whole deal of the gallery is to be able to show that the photographers featured therein made the right decision in choosing Pentax as a system?

And what's wrong with thanking third-party lens manufacturers? They're still helping keep the K-mount afloat today (even working with Pentax on some lenses), with Pentax still incapable of producing big volumes of lenses?
09-27-2007, 06:39 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This change has allowed me to submit my F-22 Raptor photo with a clear conscience...

Shot this with the 300mm Vivitar but was not going to submit it since it was not Pentax glass... Of course the glass is no good w/o a camera body so...
09-28-2007, 10:29 PM   #11

That's an amazing photo, Mike. Is it a 100% crop?
09-29-2007, 08:57 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by asharpe Quote
That's an amazing photo, Mike. Is it a 100% crop?
This is about 3/4 original.... mostly cropped top and bottom to get the landscape aspect ratio and a tad off of the right side to place the aircraft farther off-center.