Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #16
mhd
Inactive Account

I picked up the Tamron when they just about first came out and have been very happy with it, and some of my favorite photographs are with it:

Wabasha bridge at night | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Named in Scrabble | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
and
Dunes at Dawn | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I believe the sigma 10-20 was first to the market and hence scooped up most the people that were in the market for a such a lens at that price point. Thinking back on it, it's pretty much a toss up, but you shouldn't be disappointed.
mhd

12-09-2010, 09:19 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
The Sigma runs $499 and the Tamron is $374 after $100 mail in rebate.

Which would you get? I've read the reviews, looked at the lens clubs, and still can't make up my mind.
Here is a review that really shows the differences between the lenses.
12-09-2010, 12:32 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
Here is a review that really shows the differences between the lenses.
Yes, but at the end of the review:

QuoteQuote:
"I've received some images from a friend overseas, who has tested his copy of the Tamron lens. His results were A LOT better. I talked with our distributer and we have concluded the copy they got is a really bad one. So, I'm awaiting a new copy and as soon as it arrives I'll do another test and comparison with Sigma. Stay tuned."
And then further down he talks about how much he loves the Tamron:
VirtualEntity: Tamron 10-24 3.5-4.5, day 2..

DPReview seems to give the overall nod to the Tamron. Some other reviewers say the Sigma is much sharper. And I'm not too concerned about lab tests, just if its really going to affect the real life viewing of my images. I haven't read a negative comment from any Tamron owners on this forum, even though there aren't as many users of the lens.

I see great shots being taken with both. I guess I can't really go wrong with either, just need to pick one and see for myself.
12-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #19
Pentaxian

And then further down he talks about how much he loves the Tamron:
VirtualEntity: Tamron 10-24 3.5-4.5, day 2..
Note that this was before he got the better Sigma copy and before he did the comparison in which the Tamron didn't do so well. You may take it as a hint that the Tamron problems are not that critical for real shooting but this guy's copy certainly was worse than the Sigma.

12-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not that pleased with the Tamron's rendering. images and colors look smudgy, if not, washed out.
12-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I'm not that pleased with the Tamron's rendering. images and colors look smudgy, if not, washed out.
Well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I'm going to take a chance on the Tamron. Will add some pics, good or bad, to the various threads once I get it. If its soft or I'm not happy, I'll send it back and get the Sigma.
12-09-2010, 05:52 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I'm going to take a chance on the Tamron. Will add some pics, good or bad, to the various threads once I get it. If its soft or I'm not happy, I'll send it back and get the Sigma.
Good luck, let us know how it turns out. I appreciated the thread and links to other comparisons of the two lenses.

Now, what about the Sigma 8-16?