Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma 10-20mm vs Tamron 10-24mm

The Sigma runs $499 and the Tamron is $374 after $100 mail in rebate.

Which would you get? I've read the reviews, looked at the lens clubs, and still can't make up my mind. I'm looking for a good travel/landscape lens, something I can use to take creative pics while hiking, and am not really much of a pixel peeper or stickler (not nearly as much as some people here...I see a great looking shot and some of you find a million things wrong with it ).

Will I be sorry if I go for the cheaper one? I do have the Tammy 17-50 2.8, and LOVE it.

12-05-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I bough the Tamron, and I was happy. I use it extensively in my summer trip in Greece
12-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you. Anyone else?
12-06-2010, 12:23 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Note that the Tamron 10-24 has nowhere near the reputation of the 17-50. The fact that you love the latter should not guide you in this decision.

BTW, which Sigma 10-20 do you mean? I went for the constant aperture f/3.5 one. I believe it is superiour in terms of IQ to the Tamron and I don't think I'll ever miss the 4mm at the long end. I rarely use my Sigma above 16mm but your milage may vary.

12-06-2010, 09:09 AM   #5

Original Poster
I'm talking about the Sigma 4-5.6 EX DC. I've read there are a lot of QC issues and people are getting bad copies. That alone makes me weary. Then I read that the Tamron is pretty soft in the corners, but in real world application most would never notice it (and you could always crop a little). I don't mind paying an extra $100 for a superior lens, as I want the nest possible landscape shots. I guess the fact that the Sigma club thread is HUGE says it all...

What other choices do I have for ultra wide angle in the $500 or less category? I really only need 10-16 range, non fish eye.
12-06-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Not sure why this recent thread was not mentioned, but it includes picture results from both lenses.
12-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
I'm talking about the Sigma 4-5.6 EX DC. I've read there are a lot of QC issues and people are getting bad copies.
If you buy new, just return it until you get a good one. The Pentax 16-50 also had QC issues. Sadly, it happens but as long as manufacturers respond by giving you a new one, I wouldn't be concerned.

Have a look at the thread tomwil pointed to. The Sigma is sharper and has the better bokeh. The images were made at different f-stops, though.

I don't know about other choices, except the Pentax 12-24 which I believe is overrated by Pentaxians. The same lens (Tokina 12-24) is considered to be competent but not outstanding by Canikonians.
12-06-2010, 11:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I don't know about other choices, except the Pentax 12-24 which I believe is overrated by Pentaxians. The same lens (Tokina 12-24) is considered to be competent but not outstanding by Canikonians.

why did you say that it is overrated?

12-07-2010, 10:24 PM   #9

Original Poster
If you buy new, just return it until you get a good one. The Pentax 16-50 also had QC issues. Sadly, it happens but as long as manufacturers respond by giving you a new one, I wouldn't be concerned.

Have a look at the thread tomwil pointed to. The Sigma is sharper and has the better bokeh. The images were made at different f-stops, though.

I don't have the time and patience to return lenses multiple times. If it's not good the first time, I don't really want it. Still torn... Seems like the Tamron is at least on par with the Sigma, and better in some respects, for over $100 less. I'm checking out Ebay for some used ones before I decide...

Thanks for the replies!
12-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
why did you say that it is overrated?
I have a feeling that Pentax owners overrate it because they often describe the 12-24 as a kind of marvel while the same lens (available through the Tokina brand) receives reviews from Canokians that attest it competent performance but also weaknesses (PF). It seems that non-Pentaxians are less enthusiastic about the lens. I'm sure it is good but I don't believe it is the marvel Pentaxians often describe it to be.

QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
Seems like the Tamron is at least on par with the Sigma, and better in some respects, for over $100 less.
That's not the common wisdom and the images in the other thread speak a different language. However, I'm sure you'll be happy with the Tamron as well.
12-08-2010, 03:46 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Here 7000 photo of the Tamron 10-24
Flickr: Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 Di-II LD SP
12-08-2010, 04:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I have a feeling that Pentax owners overrate it because they often describe the 12-24 as a kind of marvel while the same lens (available through the Tokina brand) receives reviews from Canokians that attest it competent performance but also weaknesses (PF). It seems that non-Pentaxians are less enthusiastic about the lens. I'm sure it is good but I don't believe it is the marvel Pentaxians often describe it to be.
I understand what you mean by this although there is a logical reason behind it. besides, how many UW zooms does Pentax has to offer? there is only one, and other 3rd-party alternatives. Pentax users dont have that luxury that Canikonians have. out of the possible UW zooms that are K-mount compatible, the best one is the Pentax, next to the Sigma 12-24. so it is true if we are going to look at it from a Pentax user's point of view and lens availability.
12-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
Pentax users dont have that luxury that Canikonians have. out of the possible UW zooms that are K-mount compatible, the best one is the Pentax, next to the Sigma 12-24.
Has anyone compared the Pentax 12-24/4 to the Sigma 10-20/3.5?
12-08-2010, 05:53 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Has anyone compared the Pentax 12-24/4 to the Sigma 10-20/3.5?
none that I'm aware of. although I have heard that the only thing that differentiates it from the older Sigma 10-20, is the aperture speed. other than that, it is practically the same lens. the Sigma 8-16 seems to be a very good lens. so this can be a better alternative for someone looking for a much wider FOV. it doesn't appeal me due to focal length shortness, but resolution wise, it seems as good as the DA12-24. it seems to have better CA control as well. I would say it's a toss-up between the two lenses and would be decided by focal length needs.
12-08-2010, 08:01 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QC is a potential problem with the Sigma 10-20 4-5.6. However you'd really have to buy several (at once) and compare them. Otherwise you'd probably want back one of the ones you'd returned.

I don't have experience with the Tamron, but I'm not sure this isn't a general problem with almost all lenses. It might just show up a little more prominently in the more radical designs like these.

Paul