Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2010, 04:21 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rrwilliams64 Quote
thoughts on the 35mm f/2.4 ?
i've only been using a "big kid" camera since February but I just got this lens and I love it. I don't take super serious photos, I don't enter them into contests, I don't try to sell them, I just like to take better pictures than a P&S will let me and this lens works great for me. Some will cite that it feels cheap b/c its so light and feels like plastic (well, it is) but I think this is a plus as it fits nicely into my camera bag without weighing me down and I can even throw it in my coat pocket if I have to.

12-07-2010, 04:02 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thnx for all the great replies. Just listening and seeing different perspectives was worth the thread. i ended up getting TWO primes- the SMC FZ 50mm f/1.7 (which I read great reviews on) and the SMC 40mm f/2.8 Limited. Interestingky, this thread has spoken to both these lenses, their strengths, what they excel at, etc. Maybe I want too much from one lens- Decent sharpness corner to corner, good rendition of color and contrast, nice bokeh , etc. I'd just read the 1.7 was markedly better than the 1.4, the Pentax Lens Rreview database supports this.

I'll enjoy playing with both, esp at the holiday season w. plenty of pics to take.

Anyone care to quickly give their synopsis on the 402.8 LTD vs the FA 501.7? Both, I'm sure, good lenses. My shooting objectives are wide ranging (I know, not a good answer), I just wanted one prime to supplany my kit lens
12-07-2010, 07:24 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I find uses for both, but if I could only have one, it would be the 40. More versatile, much more sharpness and contrast. However, for certain types of shots, the 50 pulls ahead.

The 50 is better for soft, wide aperture shots (really at f2), and the focal length is a little better for portraiture. Both have really nice bokeh IMHO, but the 50 has more of it. The 55 has even more of it, and the 77 has gobs of it... it's just how it is... as you go longer, you get more subject separation.
12-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought 40 might be too tight for general use, but it turns out it just forces me to think about composition more - which is a good thing. Mine stays on the camera nearly all the time now. The build quality and screw-on cap also mean I can shove the camera in the bag I take to work every day without worrying about size, weight, or accidental damage.

You can generally get the framing you want with a bit of walking - think of it as a 30-50mm leg-powered zoom.

12-07-2010, 11:47 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rrwilliams64 Quote
Anyone care to quickly give their synopsis on the 402.8 LTD vs the FA 501.7? Both, I'm sure, good lenses. My shooting objectives are wide ranging (I know, not a good answer), I just wanted one prime to supplany my kit lens
It will be better to figure out that one for yourself than have my opinion, since you have both.

I have an F50/f1.7 and an FA35/f2. If I could change anything about these two, I'd want the 9-blade aperture from the DA40/2.8.
12-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I have an F50/f1.7 and an FA35/f2. If I could change anything about these two, I'd want the 9-blade aperture from the DA40/2.8.
Would you trade the 35 and $100 for the DA40? I just can't justify carrying the 40mm if I have a 50... the 35mm I can justify. I'm trying to get some final input before pulling the trigger on one of the lenses.
12-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #22

I'm going through a similar dilemma lol. Not sure whether I want the 35mm 2.4, or the 40mm 2.8.

Right now the only prime I have is an M 50mm 1.7, which I love, but one of these days I should trade up for the A, because stop-down metering is frustrating.

But yeah, the 35mm is a bit faster, cheaper, closer to the focal length I prefer, and maybe one day if Pentax will release the colors in the US I can get a white lens to match my camera.

The 40mm on the other hand, slower, more expensive, a bit long, yet it's a pancake. But there's something about it that makes me want it. Maybe I just like small things. I dunno.