Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2010, 12:54 AM   #16
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-x + 43 ltd is still a small package.
I have this combination often both for home movies as well as stills.
Does well in every way.
You may not feel all that much difference between the 40 and 43 weight-wise - they're both relatively light. The colour rendition will be noticeable though.

12-08-2010, 07:00 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
Price for one, actually, price is a really big issue. A used FA 43mm is going to cost more than the body itself!

Size for another. The K-x with the DA40mm can almost be write off as a big point and shoot.

The FA 43 is definitely better quality-wise, but the DA 40 is no slouch.

I feel for the K-x or the K-r, the DA 40 gives you more bang for your buck. Once you move up to a K7 or K5, then you should start getting those FA Limiteds.
+1.

Also, the DA40 just looks so right on the K-x

12-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #18
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And what the K-x looks like with the 43 mounted:

12-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
I have a 43 Ltd and I have to say I'm not sure how much faster you want to focus ! It seems damn fast to me. Maybe I'm missing out on something !

It's incredibly sharp.
We did an informal test with a K5 body, and the difference in focusing speed between the 43 and the 40 was noticeable. Colloquially, you could observe the focusing time of the 43 (probably measurable in quarter-seconds) while the 40 was nearly instantaneous, and would be difficult to measure.

Also observed: the FA 43 looks quite cool with a DA 40 lens hood. :-)

12-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by driftingbunnies Quote
...However, it seems as the majority of the people who owned/own both the FA43 and DA40, it seems as if the FA43 produces more interesting and pleasing pictures.
I owned both at the same time and sold the DA 40. It was a nice lens but couldn't compete with the 43, my favorite and most-used lens. I really like quick-shift, but due to the small size of the 40 I had a hard time using it on my K10D (my fingers wouldn't fit between the prism housing and the lens focus ring).

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
That's a great picture!
12-08-2010, 02:11 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Impartial Quote
Also observed: the FA 43 looks quite cool with a DA 40 lens hood. :-)
I can second that
12-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #22
Veteran Member

The DA 40 will give you an ultra-modern rendering. Super high contrast, saturated colours, sharp across the frame.

The FA 43 will give you a more vintage rendering. High contrast, more interesting tones, sharpest in the center, not as much on the sides, for a more 3D look.

In my eyes, the 43 is a collision of the vintage rendering with high performance technology, while the 40 is a lens from the future.

Not implying the future is better... it's just different. Streamlined. I really think you should select the rendering you want... not the 43 because it is automatically better. If you look at sample images from both, you will find they are very different lenses.

12-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #23
MSD

I know it's not much, but if you do have a fast 50, then the 40 is a bit further apart.
But really, it's THE 43. It's also more of an investment. And at 155 grams, it's not bulky.
They're both great lenses, but the 43 just has the edge for me.
Price is one thing, yes, but the point brought up before about second hand is good: 43s are easier to find used (although still pricey).

You might want to compare them yourself: do you know anyone or a store with the lens(es)? That would be good for you to compare the differences while thinking about your own style and needs.
12-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
that looks sexy.