Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Asahi Takumar M42, 3.5/135 (model 1) pre-set lens

Here's a lens that doesn't appear to be in the PENTAXforums.com Takumar/Pentax lens database.

I found this 1957 to 1962 manufactured M42 pre-set Takumar lens in mint condition, still in its original box.

It is chrome and black, with yellow and blue distance markings, quite petite and weighs 300gms. It has an aperture range of f3.5 to f/22, and the filter ring diameter is 46mm.(I had to look for a suitable lenshood, as none of mine would fit ). There are 5 elements in 4 groups, and it is the first model of it's type.

I was unable to find it in the Forum's M42 database.

I understand they are considered relativley rare.

Does anyone have personal experience of this lens they would be willing to share?

Thanks.

Last edited by Banjo; 12-05-2010 at 06:12 PM.
12-05-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's here in the database:
Takumar/Auto-Takumar 135mm F3.5 Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database
12-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for pointing it out.

I saw the "auto" bit and didn't realize that it was shorthand for two different versions, mine is like the first photo: great.

Once I get some use out of it (it is in perfect condition), I will add a review for it.

While my copy came in the original cardboard box (with both end caps), about six months ago, I came across at a photo mart and bought (just because it looked neat) a smallish -it wouldn't fit any of the more recent types of Takumar/Pentax lenses- brown, solid leather, lens case with the AOCo logo on it: it fits this lens like a glove. Must have been fated?

Also, I needed to find a suitable 46mm lenshood (a diameter I didn't own, but now have).

Last edited by Banjo; 12-05-2010 at 06:36 PM.
12-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I posted the sunset in the Pentax lens review mentioned above (Takumar/Auto-Takumar 135mm F3.5 Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database) with this lens. It is a very nice lens to work with and feels quite small. I have the all black version.

My recommendation is to a hood. The copy I purchased came with one, but they can be picked up second had. The hood is about 5mm in length and a generic one can be purchased online.

This thread should have some information on the lens.

http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/Pentax_Takumar_Collection.html

This is another photo taken with the lens.

Last edited by stover98074; 12-05-2010 at 08:34 PM.
12-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stover98074 Quote
I posted the sunset in the Pentax lens review mentioned above ...with this lens. It is a very nice lens to work with and feels quite small. I have the all black version.

My recommendation is to a hood. The copy I purchased came with one, but they can be picked up second had. The hood is about 5mm in length and a generic one can be purchased online.

This thread should have some information on the lens.

Early Pentax Takumar Lenses

Thanks for responding.

Great photos (both here and in your review of the lens, which I have read): I hope mine come out as well as yours.

The second-hand hood I found is simlar to the one you describe: all metal, matt black, screw-thread, about 10mm deep and has vents around the thread end (similar to some Leica hoods).