Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FA Lenes on a Nikon 700

A friend mine who has a Nikon 700 was wondering if my FA lenses would work on his Ff Nikon 700.----Stoge

12-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Not without more work than it is likely worth.

You can get a teleconverter with a glass element to adapt the lens, with the associated change in focal length and image quality.

The other option is removing the bayonet mount on the Pentax lens and replacing it with a Nikon F bayonet, with appropriate machining to correct for the different flange-focal distance. At best you end up with a fully manual lens that can no longer be used on a Pentax camera.
12-07-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank You! Just wondering, sounds like more trouble than it's worth.---Jeff
12-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yeah, not worth it.

On the other hand, Nikon lenses can be adapted to work perfectly on Pentax bodies.

12-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
And both Pentax and Nikon lenses can be adapted to Canon mount ;-)
12-07-2010, 10:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

How would you adopt a Nikon lens to work on a Pentax? Is there a shop that does that for a fee?
12-07-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soppy Quote
How would you adopt a Nikon lens to work on a Pentax? Is there a shop that does that for a fee?
The only person I've heard of doing it is our own boarder "augustmoon". I own three of his conversions (24/2.8, 28/2.8 CRC, and 105/2.8, all Ai-s) and they're all perfect.
12-08-2010, 01:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I believe the Nikon to Pentax conversion process is:

For pre-AI lenses: remove mount, replace with pentax mount drilled for same screw spacing. You can add a shim if you find that the lens focuses past infinity.

For AI lenses: Remove mount, grind down AI metering lug protruding from the aperture ring (probably safest with the ring removed from the lens, or at the very least with the rest of the lens well sealed), put on pentax mount drilled for correct screw spacing. Again, the mount can be shimmed if you find infinity is off.

I haven't found a Nikon lens of a high enough quality at a low enough price to make a conversion worth my time yet, though I do have some spare K mounts kicking around with a conversion in mind. Generally I've come across Pentax A series, Tamron Adaptall, or Takumar lenses of similar quality at the same focal length first, usually for less than the equivalent Nikon manual focus lens sells for on the open market.

12-08-2010, 09:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

This is what augustmoon had to say about the conversions he did on my lenses:

QuoteQuote:
It basically consisted of removing the nikon mount and placing it back to back with the Pentax mount and grinding the diameter of the Pentax mount because it is larger, then redrilling and countersinking the holes in the Pentax mount to line up with the Nikon mount, grinding off the Nikon AI tab, making a spacer or gasket to place under the new mount (as the registration distance is shorter with Nikon) to get proper focusing, then light sanding of that gasket until the infinity is perfect for your body.