Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2010, 12:20 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Beautiful lens. Let up hope that Pentax brings this lens or something like it back into the lineup.

12-07-2010, 05:27 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
It seems very sharp for such an aggressive design. I really, really would like one of those.

(Adam has one, right? Maybe Jim King also? It's pretty rare...)
Thanks! Yes, Adam has one too. Jim King doesn't. I actually checked his equipment list before buying the beast; on Dp review he also admitted that he doesn't own one. That must say something about its rarity.

My copy has a serial number that's 13 lower than the one in the serial number database (Adam's?) so I still think that no more than a few dozen F*'s have ever been produced. Making them more rare than Rembrandts indeed!

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
Beautiful lens. Let up hope that Pentax brings this lens or something like it back into the lineup.
That will never happen. Since at that time it was already more expensive than the F*/FA* 600/4 (I have the official MSRP price lists from that era) then having one available now would make no sense at all. The price would well be above $10,000. I'd rather buy a 645D
12-20-2010, 11:53 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just FYI: this weekend another copy of the F* 250-600 (very battered, with several parts such as the gold lens identification plaques missing) was sold on the English PentaxUser forum:

Pentax 250-600mm Big Glass
12-21-2010, 12:03 AM   #19
Veteran Member

What a copy! I'm glad you got it Asahiflex....I know you'll put it to good use.

12-22-2010, 10:11 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Just FYI: this weekend another copy of the F* 250-600 (very battered, with several parts such as the gold lens identification plaques missing) was sold on the English PentaxUser forum:

Pentax 250-600mm Big Glass
Just thought I would offer my congratulations to you here as well, and to say that I was the lucky one who bought the one for sale on the UK forum!

Whilst not in as good condition as the one you see here, it was a lot cheaper (well, at least I hope it was!) and my initial report can be found here.

Just hope that I have talent like yours to justify owning it!

PS was there really only a few dozen sold? Does anyone know the exact number?
12-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Hi Peter,

Nice to see some images of the lens!

For the record, it's not like Adam or I had to browbeat Peter into checking it out...

Regarding production and quantity:
The F* version was first in production in March of 1988. I am not sure if it was truly discontinued a decade later in 1998, according to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page.

The FA* version was introduced in June of 1991. It shows to be discontinued in 2004, according to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page. That's the same year as the FA* 200/4 Macro was discontinued (introduced in Sept. of 2000).

Cost wise, the 250-600 was more expensive to make because of the greater complexity, elements, power zoom motor, etc... I concur with Peter's comments if it was made today. If only 5-10 of the 250-600 lenses were produced each year (vs. the 600/4), then there are perhaps a few hundred of them made - much less than the FA* 600/4 or the FA* 200/4 Macro production counts. (EDIT: total count estimate would be a few hundred for both the F* and FA* versions.)

I know the FA* serial number range has a good variance, but I'm unsure of the F* range. That's a good question! Here is a good reference for historical and discontinued lenses:
Pentax Canada - Historical & Discontinued

Looking forward to the images through the lens Peter!

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 12-22-2010 at 01:15 PM.
12-22-2010, 12:38 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Unlocker Quote
Just thought I would offer my congratulations to you here as well, and to say that I was the lucky one who bought the one for sale on the UK forum!
And lucky you are. I would have bought it too if I did not already have one!

QuoteQuote:
Just hope that I have talent like yours to justify owning it!
You'd rather need perseverance with such a beast

QuoteQuote:
PS was there really only a few dozen sold? Does anyone know the exact number?
I took the liberty to add your copy to the serial number database on this forum:

SMC Pentax-F* 250-600mm F5.6 ED [IF] Serials - Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com

As far as I can see you have the earliest recorded serial number (for now). If we suppose that the numbers are consecutive (i.e. not mixed up with for instance the F* 600/4 - and that's why I'd like to know the F* 600/4's serial numbers too) then we can assume that at least 82 have been produced.

A few 100 pieces sounds like too many. Who would have bought such an expensive piece of kit?
12-22-2010, 12:45 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And lucky you are. I would have bought it too if I did not already have one!

You'd rather need perseverance with such a beast

I took the liberty to add your copy to the serial number database on this forum:

SMC Pentax-F* 250-600mm F5.6 ED [IF] Serials - Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com

As far as I can see you have the earliest recorded serial number (for now). If we suppose that the numbers are consecutive (i.e. not mixed up with for instance the F* 600/4 - and that's why I'd like to know the F* 600/4's serial numbers too) then we can assume that at least 82 have been produced.

A few 100 pieces sounds like too many. Who would have bought such an expensive piece of kit?
the same people who are buying it now is my best guess, wildlife and sports shooter, likely the few pros who shot Pentax at sporting events before canikon won them over eventually (i can't remember the last time i saw a Pentax shooter in the photo pit at a big sporting event, but do remember seeing them in the past, and this lens would have been ideal and competitive with the canikon offerings at the time.)
so worldwide i can imagine a few hundred between the 2 variants over the time they were made. (not enought unfortunately for me to ever find one i can afford that works though or for that matter that is even repairable)

12-22-2010, 01:14 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Peter, my apologies for any confusion if that was directed at my suggestion of the total production count!

I should have clarified: my total was for both the F* and FA* versions, not just the F* version - I will change it. My estimate for that number would total at least somewhere between 100 - 200. I am thinking that range because each version for the 250-600 shows to have been in production for at least 10 years. Hope that makes more sense!

Reason is that the range of my serial number vs. an earlier copy is quite large: the earlier copy (1991 or 1992) starts with 3009xxx. Mine starts as 3703xxx.

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 12-22-2010 at 01:19 PM.
12-22-2010, 09:36 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Hi Peter,

Nice to see some images of the lens!

For the record, it's not like Adam or I had to browbeat Peter into checking it out...

Regarding production and quantity:
The F* version was first in production in March of 1988. I am not sure if it was truly discontinued a decade later in 1998, according to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page.

The FA* version was introduced in June of 1991. It shows to be discontinued in 2004, according to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page. That's the same year as the FA* 200/4 Macro was discontinued (introduced in Sept. of 2000).

Cost wise, the 250-600 was more expensive to make because of the greater complexity, elements, power zoom motor, etc... I concur with Peter's comments if it was made today. If only 5-10 of the 250-600 lenses were produced each year (vs. the 600/4), then there are perhaps a few hundred of them made - much less than the FA* 600/4 or the FA* 200/4 Macro production counts. (EDIT: total count estimate would be a few hundred for both the F* and FA* versions.)

I know the FA* serial number range has a good variance, but I'm unsure of the F* range. That's a good question! Here is a good reference for historical and discontinued lenses:
Pentax Canada - Historical & Discontinued

Looking forward to the images through the lens Peter!

Regards,
Marc
Yeah the prices for these super zooms were always expensive.
The old K135-600/6.7 cost more than any other K series lens.
List price in January 1978 was $2,193.90, compared to the K1000/8 which was $1,919.70 and the K500/4.5 was $1,069.30.

Phil.
08-31-2015, 11:11 AM   #26

Photos: Albums
***MINT*** FA* 250-600mm IF ED

I live part time in Canada and USA. I have one of these to sell that is in Absolute MINT Condition including the carrying case. Looks factory fresh! Where is the best place to sell it and the safest payment method? eBay/PayPal have gotten a bit crazy with their fees.
08-31-2015, 11:17 AM   #27
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by MWLMWL Quote
I live part time in Canada and USA. I have one of these to sell that is in Absolute MINT Condition including the carrying case. Looks factory fresh! Where is the best place to sell it and the safest payment method? eBay/PayPal have gotten a bit crazy with their fees.
I wouldn't hesitate to post it on the Marketplace, as people here love this lens. I wouldn't forego paypal fees for the protections they offer, but you can certainly skip the ridiculous ebay fees.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-31-2015, 11:55 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't want one and never will, but that doesn't stop me from appreciating an absolutely awesome piece of glass. Make sure you insure it for at least as much as you paid for it - finding another if something happened to that one would not be easy.

Just wow.
09-01-2015, 12:19 PM   #29

Photos: Albums
Some may have seen this on Dp review already. But before I start please let me thank both Adam and Marc Langille for their valuable replies to my PM's. As some of you may know Adam has the F* 250-600 too and Marc has the FA* version. So I knew who were the experts

This one was for sale on a Dutch 2nd hand site. I could not believe my eyes, and so did the rest of the Dutch Pentax community. To make a long story short: I was the highest bidder and so I picked this up this previous saturday.

When I arrived at the seller's home I again could not believe my eyes. This lens is not only very sharp (only a few dozen have ever been built I think), but this copy is pristine. Not a scratch anywhere on the body.

After this test shot of my father (who accompanied me) at 250mm, wide open, I knew enough. I quickly bought it and returned home. Resized, not sharpened:

When I returned home I also did some 600mm test shots on a sturdy tripod. I used a 5 euro bill as a target and shot it wide open:

An 100% crop of the above:

It came with its original trunk, the SMC F series manual (not the one for this lens), the original invoice dated 1991, and the original DOF table for this lens. Of course, the original set of filters and another filter tray came with it:

It absolutely dwarfs the SMC Pentax-F* 300mm F4.5 ED[IF]:

The built-in two-part hood is interesting but a little flimsy:

Compared to my Sigma 500mm F4.5 APO EX:

Now please let me get acquainted with this beauty
How much in US Dollars did you pick this up for?
08-12-2017, 06:24 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Hey, any of you guys have the manual from the F* 250-600mm?

Closed Thread