Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2010, 05:49 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kudos to Barry / Going with the DA15mm

So I took advantage of the CameraLensRentals.com holiday special and had a DA12-24 delivered Tuesday PM before Thanksgiving. By 5pm I realized the lens had a lot of trouble focusing to infinity, or less, and often the camera gave up. So much for the landscapes I wanted to get while a little color remained on the trees. I dropped Barry an email just saying I was returning it early for the reason stated. At 9AM the next day a second lens was at my door and a surprised me had the UW to go play and compare to the DA15.

I didnt expect them to blow that kind of money on an overnight delivery when I did not even ask them to and just figured a refund or credit was coming.

Kudos to Barry and CameraLensRentals.com for going the distance on their own initiative.

My verdict was that the DA15mmLtd is so perfect at 15mm and so portable that it will get a lot more use than a DA12-24 just because I happen to have it in my pocket. I still have a DA16-45 if taking a bag along.

12-07-2010, 07:10 AM   #2

That does it. My next lens will be the 15mm Limited. I was already leaning that way, but now there is no doubt.
12-07-2010, 07:25 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
My verdict was that the DA15mmLtd is so perfect at 15mm and so portable that it will get a lot more use than a DA12-24 just because I happen to have it in my pocket.
Amen, bro--that's why I replaced my Sigma 10-20 with the DA 15.
12-07-2010, 07:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the DA 15mm in my plans, too. Primes give me so much more photo joy.
Just curious: subjectively, how does the DA 15mm compare to the DA 16-45mm at f16?

12-07-2010, 07:38 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Just curious: subjectively, how does the DA 15mm compare to the DA 16-45mm at f16?
I wondered about that too, not specifically f16 though, so I did some peeping at different appertures. My unprofessional conclusion was that at normal viewing size, the 15mm and 16mm shots looked about the same. But at 70% full size the additional detail in the DA15 is evident. Color seemed about the same to my untrained eye. The biggest difference at normal viewing is the DA16-45 at 16mm requires distortion correction, albeit an easy fix, but the DA15mm is pretty much good to go straight from the camera. Yes, the K-5 will fix the distortion for you if waiting a few extra seconds is not a problem and that's fine if you only shoot wide occasionally but then it cuts the angle of view even more when it crops to the corrected edges.
12-07-2010, 07:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AOShep Quote
That does it. My next lens will be the 15mm Limited. I was already leaning that way, but now there is no doubt.
Same here.
12-07-2010, 08:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I wondered about that too, not specifically f16 though, so I did some peeping at different appertures. My unprofessional conclusion was that at normal viewing size, the 15mm and 16mm shots looked about the same. But at 70% full size the additional detail in the DA15 is evident. Color seemed about the same to my untrained eye. The biggest difference at normal viewing is the DA16-45 at 16mm requires distortion correction, albeit an easy fix, but the DA15mm is pretty much good to go straight from the camera. Yes, the K-5 will fix the distortion for you if waiting a few extra seconds is not a problem and that's fine if you only shoot wide occasionally but then it cuts the angle of view even more when it crops to the corrected edges.
I'm sorry, I wanted to say, at 16 - focal length, not aperture.
Good info, thank you. Pretty much what I needed to hear.
12-07-2010, 08:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
But at 70% full size the additional detail in the DA15 is evident.
This would be nice if you want your 15mm to behave like a 20mm sometimes .

12-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Amen, bro--that's why I replaced my Sigma 10-20 with the DA 15.
I just did that,too. I'm not really a "wide" guy, but I love my DA15 Ltd.