Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2010, 07:08 AM   #1

help for a newbie...DAL lens hood and filter questions, not sure what to buy

I am really new here and I want to buy a lens hood and a circular polarizer filter for each of my lenses. I recently purchased my camera and it's from one of those package deals at new egg.

I would post the link but i think that that is forbidden on here, but if you search N82E16830184123 on their page, you will see it.
PENTAX K-r Lens Kit Black 12.4 MP 3.0" 921k LCD Digital SLR with DA L 18-55&55-300 Lens

I can find a lot of filters for the DA lenses but not the DAL. I am not sure if it is the same for both. I also understand that this is a bayonet mount on the K-r camera. I want to buy filters that i can put the perspective hoods on with it of course. So far i have the one filter at 52 and the zoom at 58. The operating manual on lenses omits the DAL lens but it does list the 18-55.

I also want to add that I wish to get cheaper after market hoods but decent aftermarket circular polarizer filters. Thank you John

12-07-2010, 07:41 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As far as filters and hoods are concerned I don't think there is a bit of difference between DA and DAL. Basically they are the same lens, especially on the glass. The difference between the lenses is the plastic mount and lack of quick shift on the DAL. Some also don't include hoods. That said, the filter thread and hood bayonets are the same.

Enjoy your new K-r and welcome aboard.

12-07-2010, 07:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As for the hoods you can get the original Pentax ones or 3rd party versions that fit on the bayonet on the lens body. The 3rd party ones can be had from ebay at least and they are much cheaper. Also generic hoods to be fixed to the filter thread are available, but these are not as convenient as the bayonet ones, especially when filters are used as you plan to. As Jeff also says above, the filter threads and hence filters are the same for both the DA and DAL versions of the same lens. If you want to be economical consider buying a 58mm CPL for the 55-300 and using a 52-58mm step-up ring to share that with the 18-55. As for CPLs, this should help you figure out what to get: Polarizing filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com.
12-08-2010, 03:48 AM   #4

Original Poster
Ahh.... thanks so much for the great info guys, it is appreciated.

12-08-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If I was you I would get a 52mm > 58mm set-up ring, and then a 58mm hood and a 58mm Circular Polarizer.

With filters if you are going to buy one, get the best you can afford and ensure it is a standardized size for multiple lenses. I'm a current fan of the Hoya HD filters, though the price is quite high.

DON'T buy a cheap one, its not worth it. Filters are something you can use on multiple lenses and will last a very long time.
12-08-2010, 11:18 PM   #6

Original Poster
yes i was looking at the hoyas and have read that others have recommended them, thank you. And thanks for the set up ring info. You guys have made my search much easier now.