Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2010, 07:24 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am yet to hear of a bad 1:1 macro. Some are better than others, but generally they are all very good and once you get the hang of it, you will be able to produce beautiful images with any one of them (I agree that Tamron 90/2.8 is a very nice lens and does decent portraits too. It's one weakness, from memory, is when shooting against strong light and CA.)

12-08-2010, 07:50 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The $50 Raynox 150 on a long zoom lens is a great combination. Excellent image quality, large magnification range, easy to use, preserves all lens functionality (including auto flash - important for macros), light & small to carry in your bag "just in case".

Working distance when using a close-up lens like a Raynox is roughly the close-up lens' focal length; for the Raynox DCR 150 this is 208mm (~8.3").

I have some good macro lenses, bellows, etc but use the Raynox 150 most often.
12-08-2010, 07:57 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
A cheap macro lens would be the Cosina 100mm 1:3.5:

Cosina 100mm F1:3,5 MC Makro Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database
Cosina AF 100mm f/3.5 macro (Pentax) - Review / Lab Test Report

This has also been sold as Phonix, Promaster and Vivitar (at least). It does 1:2 by itself and 1:1 with the included "matched adapter" (a lens that fixes to the filter thread).
It was also produced as Pentax FA 100/3.5 macro, although it came without the matching adapter. But adapter can be either bought separately or found on ebay. I have it and my daughter uses it with some outstanding results. In fact, this would be my macro lens of choice. Among other things, it is constructed in such a way that when you focus it, the whole lens assembly moves. Therefore it is honest 100 mm macro and does not change its focal length as you focus closer. Truly excellent optic.
12-09-2010, 07:31 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
A cheap macro lens would be the Cosina 100mm 1:3.5:

Cosina 100mm F1:3,5 MC Makro Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database
Cosina AF 100mm f/3.5 macro (Pentax) - Review / Lab Test Report

This has also been sold as Phonix, Promaster and Vivitar (at least). It does 1:2 by itself and 1:1 with the included "matched adapter" (a lens that fixes to the filter thread).

Another cheap and decent macro option would be the Raynox 150 (or 250) add-on (see: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/74221-raynox-macro-club.html)
Another vote for the Cosina/Phoenix/Promaster/Vivitar/Pentax 100/3.5 . Mine was $100 with shipping, manual-focus auto-aperture.

I don't see any on ebay at the moment, but I note that B&H has a very cheap Phoenix one on sale right now (used store). I also note that KEH has a Pentax 100/4 for sale (for more money, but less than a modern lens). If you don't mind the weight, and the fact that it comes without a 1:1 adapter, this is a Pentax-made lens with the quality that implies (metal barrel, coatings, and so on).

It seems that not so long ago, it was easy to find the autofocus versions of the third party 100/3.5 macro, but as far as I can tell the supply seems to be drying up and prices increasing.

O/T: the same thing seems to be happening at 24mm: you can still find third-party manual focus lenses without too much trouble, but third-party autofocus are becoming scarce and expensive (particularly the Sigma 24mm which has a devoted following). Not all lenses for Pentax are appreciating, but certain pockets of the market that used to be real bargains are becoming tough bargains.

12-10-2010, 02:28 AM   #20

Any of the macro takumars will be great.
12-10-2010, 09:14 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by majorscale Quote
Any of the macro takumars will be great.
I agree. It is amazinf that it took the 20th post to suggest a pentax lens

You should be able to find either a 50 mm or 100mm Macro takumar for about $100 or an K mount (or SMC-M) macro for between $100 and $200 without any difficulty

Except for the preset takumar 50mm which focused directly to 1:1 the pentax macros all offer 1:2 directly and 1:1 with extension tubes.

M42 extension tubes are cheap, I got my set for $6.

Working stopped down is not a real issue, neither is manual focus.

THe only issue with any of the K mount or M42 mount options is the inability to use flash easily (unless you have an *istD) because the K series of DSLRs requires A series lenses to meter flash with P-TTL.