Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2010, 11:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can sympathize with your love of collecting. I actively fight that urge in myself often. My neurotic tendency to only use the "one right tool" often offsets my love of collecting, so that is a bonus.

So what is it, portrature, or macro? What do you want more?

Other than the more flexible focal length of the DA 70 for people... well, it focuses way faster than the 100mm macro. Just sayin'.

PS I can understand your feelings about the big zooms. I'm not a fan of them at all.

12-08-2010, 12:05 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
No problem with your rant, Tim. Much of what you say is true. I posted a second time (I think the 11th entry in this string) explaining a bit of my motivation. You're right - my set-up is perfectly serviceable. I used nothing but primes in my film days. And after picking up the DA 35mm f/2.4, I was reminded just how pleasant it is to work with smallish primes. So ultimately, like you, I think size and weight has been bothering me a bit more than I realized.

Now, there is another dimension to my quest - although it is clearly secondary. This is, after all, a hobby. And many hobbies can involve collecting tools, devices or objects that interest, fascinate, amaze or delight you. This doesn't happen all that often to me... but, at least for me, the DA Limited primes are a case in point. But they may also serve a practical sense in eventually moving me away away from big, heavy zooms.
Hey Biro, you're not that far away from me. If you want to check out my Limiteds - 21, 35, 40, 70 - give me a shout (PM).
12-08-2010, 05:44 AM   #18
Veteran Member

No problem with your rant, Tim. Much of what you say is true. I posted a second time (I think the 11th entry in this string) explaining a bit of my motivation. You're right - my set-up is perfectly serviceable. I used nothing but primes in my film days. And after picking up the DA 35mm f/2.4, I was reminded just how pleasant it is to work with smallish primes. So ultimately, like you, I think size and weight has been bothering me a bit more than I realized.

Now, there is another dimension to my quest - although it is clearly secondary. This is, after all, a hobby. And many hobbies can involve collecting tools, devices or objects that interest, fascinate, amaze or delight you. This doesn't happen all that often to me... but, at least for me, the DA Limited primes are a case in point. But they may also serve a practical sense in eventually moving me away away from big, heavy zooms.
Well glad you took it the right way - there's nothing like a 24-hour flight to NY from Singapore to put me in combative mood, not to mention the temperature drop.

I think you're right - the collecting bug enters into it, plus simple curiosity to see how a lens performs even if you don't need it. Lenses becomes the hobby, rather than photography. Do I need five secondhand 50mm primes? No. Hence an impending clearout.

It took me several years to decide finally that carrying large zooms was destroying my pleasure in travel. Wandering around town with just a K-x and an old 28mm M3.5 is vastly more enjoyable. And cheaper.

Tim
12-08-2010, 05:54 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Frankly, they're all good, and you got all those focal lengths covered already. So go with your instincs. The 40 could be a good choice, given that it's inexpensive. I only used (and own) the 21 on that list, and can vouch for it, but the otherws are probably just as amazing.

QuoteQuote:
But I now also apply a rule: I don't buy a lens without selling a lens.
I sort of agree. My rule is "don't buy a lens if you don't have a purpose for it". Macro, WR, low light, etc, are justification enough to buy a lens. But not if I got that "use" already covered, and not because I love owning lenses (which I do).

But some people like collecting stuff, be it stamps or lenses. That's reason enough for them.

QuoteQuote:
Is there a possibility that you, similarly, are enjoying the debate about lenses more than the real photographic benefits they produce?
I also agree, but then again, if people enjoy it, it's as fair as enjoying a movie :P

12-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And here's another appeal of primes to me: I have found that, lately, I've been getting a bit lazy as a photographer. A lot of this has to do with impatient family and friends ("Just take the picture!") Now, with the DA 35 f/2.4, I am rediscovering that not only are small primes pleasant to work with in a general sense, but they force me to take a more considered approach to composition - something that's bringing me back to what first drew me to photography in the 1970s. It's looking more and more like the DA 70 might be my starting off point.
12-08-2010, 09:57 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another vote for the DA 70mm. My favorite lens. Never fails with portraits.

Re: photography as a hobby and something that can fascinate and delight you. If you can afford it and know the limitations why not.

See the link to my LBA article in my signature. This addresses the issue of delighting in things too...
12-08-2010, 10:01 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Exactly right. Photography is a hobby and collecting "tools" for your hobby is part of the fun. As long as you're not spending money you don't have and you can pay your bills, I say have your fun. I'm not into "collecting" lenses per se, meaning that if I own it, I use it on a regular basis. But I wouldn't condemn those that do like to collect. Different strokes. Over the last few years I have enjoyed figuring out what those "best tools" are for me and I've sold off the ones that I didn't connect with. I think I'm about done, though. That part of the hobby feels a little like foreplay to me. I'm more about "getting down to it" lately.

As far as lens choices go, I only have the one DA Ltd., the 15, and I absolutely love it. I've never much been into the wide stuff before and I only bought it because of that damn thread here about it. But it was love at first sight and I will never give it up. I also love my FA Ltds., with only the 31 left to get (you are right Biro, having the 43 and 77 and not the 31 will keep you up at night). I had a DFA 100WR and sold it, grudgingly, because it was redundant it my line-up. I already know I'm going to have to re-acquire that one. The performance/size/weight equation of that lens is mighty impressive. I've seen enough from the 70 to know how good it is, I just prefer the rendering of the 77. So basically what I'm saying is that it's pretty hard for you to make a wrong move here. You're almost sure to like whatever you choose. You might try going to PPG and searching under specific lenses to see if anything makes you tingle. Happy hunting!