Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Sigma lens issue

Just purchased a used Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5......found the following in the lens inner element. Not real savvy on possible lens issues/defects (fungus, e.g.) but this looks odd to me. Anyone shed some light, a concern? Havent put the lens through its paces, so don't really know if it affects IQ, just looking at first blush...

Attached Images

Last edited by rrwilliams64; 12-07-2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: error
12-08-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could you circle what you're referring to? If it's the smudge, it looks like it's due to cleaning.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-08-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm supposing you mean those speckled white spots that look like they're sitting on the inner plastic mounting - are you sure they reside within a lens element? If so, do they move about when the lens is gently shaken? Are there any sounds of loose material within the lens when shaken? I'm thinking either fungus or glass/plastic fragments but it's very hard to tell from the pictures.
12-08-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I'm supposing you mean those speckled white spots that look like they're sitting on the inner plastic mounting - are you sure they reside within a lens element? If so, do they move about when the lens is gently shaken? Are there any sounds of loose material within the lens when shaken? I'm thinking either fungus or glass/plastic fragments but it's very hard to tell from the pictures.
I'm supposing you mean those speckled white spots that look like they're sitting on the inner plastic mounting
exactly

are you sure they reside within a lens element?
no, they are residing where seen (not being smart, I'm just saying thats the location- is it indeedd an inner plastic mounting?

If so, do they move about when the lens is gently shaken?
no, they're static and stay on same spot as lens is rotated

Are there any sounds of loose material within the lens when shaken?
no

I'm thinking either fungus or glass/plastic fragments but it's very hard to tell from the pictures
glass/plastic fragments would be loose and move, no? ...and an education for me, does fungus only appear on the glass proper? ..or can it start where it's seen here in the pics, on the inner plastic mounting. Not very familiar w/ the fungus issue, hence my concern.
That's the best illustration I can get of it

I got the lens at a decent price. ($220). Regardless, if a potential problem that could progress. (I just am wondering if I should return it...ebay purchase)

Appreciated in advance