Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2007, 04:40 AM   #1

Original Caps or Afternarket?

I just purchased a supposed mint copy of the Super Multi Coated S-M-C 55mm f1.8 Takumar lens. Only thing it was missing the caps, case and hood.

I can live without the case, but would like caps and hood.

That said, is there a real reason to spend $10.50 more for original takumar rear cap and asahi pentax front cap, over say a generic adorama rear cap and generic adorama metal screw on 49mm front cap?

Resale value isn't really a concern as the prices on most of the screw lenses have just gotten crazy, so I'm more interested in ease of use and performance. If the originals were not all that great, then it may make sense to go aftermarket and save the money?

Last edited by txbonds; 09-27-2007 at 06:07 AM.
09-27-2007, 06:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the original metal front caps for all but two of my Takumars. Since they're held on by nothing but faith and habit, from what I can tell, it strikes me as something of a miracle that they're still around.

If you want the originals and it won't threaten the rent or the grocery money....indulge yourself.

Or get an aftermarket spring-loaded cap and have more peace of mind that the thing isn't going to fall off and get lost. (I've never had an original fall off, but for the life of me I can't figure out why they don't fall off).
09-27-2007, 07:05 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Mike. Just what I wanted to hear. If they are loose fitting press on's then I won't bother with them. The press on that came with my DA70ltd fits pretty snug, but wasn't sure about the tak caps.

I'll just do a metal screw in filter or a plastic press on. It's cheaper anyway.

Thanks.