Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2010, 01:38 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Old lenses with K20D

I've got several old lenses: Helios 1:1.2, ;Tessar 1:2.8/50; jupiter 37A 1:3.5/135 and Soligor 400mm 1:6.3.
I bought a Pentax original adaptor which works so smoothly and by the use of information obtained from the forum learned to eliminate the pin of the helios lens and it works well. I think I have to carry out a similar operation with the Tessar. however it has an A and M setter. It is dodgy and I don't know if it works. My real concern is with the other two lenses. I don't know why but although they are easily mounted with the adaptor, I cannot set shutter speed on the camera. I only guess that since their mounting ends are narrower theY do not cover pin balls properly and that might be the cause, perhaps! They are good lenses, I don't want to eliminate them. I used them a lot on my old Praktica in the old days.
So, is there anyone that could be of help? I'll be thankful.

12-08-2010, 02:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The Tessar should work with the A-M switch set to M (Manual). All of these lenses should work, but with certain limits. If you have the camera set to any of the automatic modes (Green, P, Sv, Tv, Av, TAv) the camera will automatically switch to Av (Aperture priority) mode and will not let you set the shutter speed. You must switch to M (Manual) mode. Then you have complete control of aperture (on the lens) and shutter and ISO (on the camera). Read this page Using Manual Lenses (M42 Screwmount, M , K) on Pentax DSLRs for more information. Good luck!
12-09-2010, 12:40 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the info, but I did set the camera to manual mode before trying. Although Tessar and Helios work as you said, it does not response and let you set anything with Jupiter and Soligor. I'll check the link provided.

Last edited by nezih; 12-09-2010 at 12:43 AM. Reason: forgot to add smt
12-09-2010, 01:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Note:
"First, in your camera's custom function menu, set "Allow aperture setting other than A" to 2 (allowed)."

Even without any lens at all, shutter speed is adjustable.

12-13-2010, 02:37 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I did adjust the set "Allow aperture setting other than A" to 2 (allowed)." also cancelled the pin on the lens in Tessar and heliosas advised here by Adam, but mine doesn't seem to work well, it sets itself to very high aparture and sutter speed values, goes crazy and does not allow me most of thime to do anything at Manual mode.
12-13-2010, 02:48 AM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nezih Quote
It sets itself to very high aparture
It can't set itself to anything. The only way you can set aperture on these lenses is for you to turn the ring on the lens.
12-13-2010, 04:57 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, sorry I should have mentioned that that's what it reads on the small screen about shutter speed and iso values, not the aparture, my mistake.
12-13-2010, 06:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

can you define what you mean by you can't set the shutter speed.

are you talking about pushing the green button to set exposure? or using the thumbwheel to set the shutter in manual?

Also note that you can yse these lenses in AV mode as well, and the camera will meter and set the shutter pseed for you, although you may need to dial in some exposure compensation

12-13-2010, 06:28 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
I only guess that since their mounting ends are narrower theY do not cover pin balls properly and that might be the cause, perhaps!
You can test this with a small peice of aluminum foil held in the right place as you mount the lens.

Dave
12-13-2010, 07:01 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I meant using the thumbwheel to set the shutter in manual.
Dave, wouldn't the al foil cause short circuit to make matters worse? I don't know, I was thinking of using a hard plastic sheet with a circle in the middle.
12-13-2010, 07:06 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Dave, wouldn't the al foil cause short circuit to make matters worse? I don't know, I was thinking of using a hard plastic sheet with a circle in the middle.
there should be no issue setting the shutter in manual mode this should be possible regardless of a lens being installed or not.

the foil does nothing, other than shorting the 7th pin to the lens mount which on some cameras is required to get focus confirmation., forget about it.
12-13-2010, 07:24 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Short circuiting can't hurt anything. The mount is designed to accept an all metal K-mount lens.

Dave
12-13-2010, 07:26 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
there should be no issue setting the shutter in manual mode this should be possible regardless of a lens being installed or not....

That's certainly true for the K-x but I have no experience with the K20.

Last edited by newarts; 12-13-2010 at 07:39 AM.
12-13-2010, 07:49 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you chaps for the help I've just found this link http://www.robertsdonovan.com/?p=1181which clears things up and very comprehensive and informative on the subject. I'll try out his suggestions as soon as possible to find my way out with these lenses.
12-13-2010, 08:04 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Thank you chaps for the help I've just found this link Shooting manual lenses on Pentax DSLRs « robertsdonovan.comwhich clears things up and very comprehensive and informative on the subject. I'll try out his suggestions as soon as possible to find my way out with these lenses.
Please let us know why some of your manual lenses worked as expected and some did not.