Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2010, 05:02 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
If you would want 10-20 let me know. I'd sell you mine
I just bought the k5. The 10-20 is something on my long-term wish list only. Cant buy any lenses now or the 'better-half' will go nuts!

Re: ve2vfd
Call me a little paranoid but I'd throw in that 18-200 at the bottom of a suitcase as backup just in case of an SDM failure. If you don't need it then there is no need to pull it out, but should a motor quit on you at least you don't lose precious family memories.

Ouch! Now you got me thinking too much... I figure that the chances of 2 sdm failures would be slim. So at worst it would be a single lens for the cruise. I did 'Single in September' challenge with one lens. So I guess I would think of it as a single lens cruise if that happens.

12-11-2010, 05:53 AM   #32
Ira
Inactive Account

Hey, Doc:

Make sure you take a lot of pictures of people eating, and I don't mean just your family:

People grazing the buffet tables on a cruise can make for some of the most fascinating subjects out there!!!

And it's always a good idea to bring at least one pair of pants for yourself that's at least one waist size larger than you normally wear. You're gonna need it by the end of the cruise!!!
12-11-2010, 12:43 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Hey, Doc:

Make sure you take a lot of pictures of people eating, and I don't mean just your family:

People grazing the buffet tables on a cruise can make for some of the most fascinating subjects out there!!!

And it's always a good idea to bring at least one pair of pants for yourself that's at least one waist size larger than you normally wear. You're gonna need it by the end of the cruise!!!
Haha! well, my extended family has asked me to leave the dining tables as soon as I finish eating since I dont eat much and they would feel guilty if I was sitting there. So I told them that I would be off with my camera... I actually like taking pictures of food though...
01-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Cruise Lens: Thanks for advice. Some pics.

Thanks to all those who gave me advice. Some pics attached. In the end I took my DA 50-135 and rented a DA 16-50. I took 2 camera bodies, k2000 and the k5. Did not want to bother with dust getting in my new k5.

DA 16-50: did well everywhere. Think I will have to buy it someday...

DA 50-135 with k2000: great for staying far and taking pics of shy relatives

01-02-2011, 10:20 AM   #35
Ira
Inactive Account

So what did you think of the whole cruising experience?
01-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
So what did you think of the whole cruising experience?
"Sailing: Imprisonment, with chance of drowning." --Samuel Johnson

"Cruising: Las Vegas at sea, with chance of obesity." --RioRico

On my first and last Carnival cruise, dining reminded me of US Army mess-hall food: not real great, and LOTS of it. The non-consuming hours of the day were filled with gambling, or contrived entertainments, or exposing one's-self around pool areas, or staggering around wondering what to do until the next mealtime. We occupied our time with 'art' auctions, sipping complimentary bubbly, bidding on not-too-atrocious prints -- hey, I got an uncut 25x35 inch sheet of Charlie Brown collectible cards for only US$45! It hangs above me right now, between my Robert Crumb and Stanley Mouse lithos!

But mostly it was wandering zombie-like around the ship, awaiting... whatever. Port calls: The Mazatlan 'tour' took us to the jewelry-ripoff strip (we had lots more fun driving to Maz the year before, went to better parts of town then, etc). The Puerto Vallarta tour was OK and we'll drive back sometime. The Cabo tour... well, we took a bottom-of-the-gulf walk but it was January and the water was too turbulent and murky to see anything. Various frauds were perpetrated -- we filed official complaints and we got back half the cost of the cruise, but it still sucked.

Hope the OP had a better time.
01-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #37
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well it was my first cruise. Not my cup of tea since I am not much into food. Since it was with extended family and plenty of kids, the kids had fun. But the consensus was that we would rather stay in an all-inclusive resort in one of the islands and do our own trips while there. The Carnival line I went on was one of the middle tier ships, it was ok. I would not say it was altogether bad but I have no intention of doing another cruise. However I did get to take some pics. So I was happy enough with that.
01-02-2011, 11:55 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
"Sailing: Imprisonment, with chance of drowning." --Samuel Johnson

"Cruising: Las Vegas at sea, with chance of obesity." --RioRico

Hope the OP had a better time.
RioRico - you're my kind of traveller! I hope there was plenty of drink though.

The only cruise I have felt the slightest inclination to do is the Norwegian fjords. Otherwise Hell on Earth, from the sound of it. Or Hell on Sea.

Tim

01-03-2011, 02:03 AM   #39
nah

I'm going on a cruise in a couple of weeks time. That's the same combo I'm bringing, the 16-50 and the 50-135, I am adding a 1.5x TC for when 135 isn't long enough though.
01-03-2011, 05:23 AM   #40
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nah Quote
I'm going on a cruise in a couple of weeks time. That's the same combo I'm bringing, the 16-50 and the 50-135, I am adding a 1.5x TC for when 135 isn't long enough though.
It is a superb combo. The day we left miami it was raining and I got back inside. Then I thought: heck I have WR k5 camera and lens, what am I doing and went out and shot happily in the rain... The only advice I would give you is to take a tripod, a good one. It can get pretty windy on the deck and there are some great sunset scenes that you can shoot better with a tripod.
01-03-2011, 05:33 AM   #41

Photos: Albums
Sounds a lot like my experience on a ship, it was a research vessel but there wasn't much to do except wait around for the next meal (which was always HUGE). At least I got some nice shots of albatrosses in flight.
01-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #42
Veteran Member

LOL! Looks like there are not many cruise fans here!

I happen to enjoy them a lot (though I usually cruise with a group, not alone or with family) and we entertain ourselves so I barely have time to "wait" for anything. Last cruise I did not even have time to open the book I brought and had to make time to go to the gym!

I also found plenty of photo subjects on the ship and on shore trips.

To each their own I guess! =D

Pat
01-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #43
Moderator PEG Judges

I luv 'em me (cruises), mostly with P&O lines and I usually pay the extra to get a suite or at least a balcony.

They are a four or five star hotels where someone changes the view from the window each morning.
01-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #44
Ira
Inactive Account

I love cruises, and if you drink enough, how can you not?
01-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
+1 food and drink is plentiful on board (worked for a shipyard subcontractor once upon time :-)