Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2010, 03:26 PM   #1

Need Help! Sigma front focusing.

So I've determined that my Sigma 24-70 HSM definitely front focuses which makes me really sad since I only got it for 630 compared to 900 new. I bought it from the Amazon Warehouse Deals so Amazon is unwilling to replace it with their stock.

Here are my options:

1. Return it for a full refund.
2. Keep it but I'll always have to adjust for it whenever I put the lens on. (won't have that problem if I get a k-5 later on though).
3. Try to send it to Sigma to fix it. Only problem with sending it to Sigma is that I don't have the warranty card, but I was able to register for the 4 year warranty.

Any opinions?

12-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #2

How much does it front focus? I'd say return it anyway since you can get a used one for about $300 on PF Marketplace. Tamron 28-75 is also an excellent alternative for about the same price.

Regards,

Peter
12-08-2010, 07:39 PM   #3

Original Poster
If you can show me a HSM version for 300 then i'll take it now. A new one is 900 and considering it's a very new lens, I don't think there will be that many floating around in the marketplace. I was thinking of the tamron but I wasn't sure if it would be as quiet or as fast focusing.
12-08-2010, 10:29 PM   #4
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by driftingbunnies Quote
2. Keep it but I'll always have to adjust for it whenever I put the lens on. (won't have that problem if I get a k-5 later on though).
Sorry to say, but I think you will have a problem on the K-5. Sigma did 'reverse engineer' Pentax's SDM connection after all. And I don't think Pentax's AF fine-tune is doing its thing with them (the Sigma HSMs).

I'm coming from the K10D which only had lens AF fine tune for one lens, if you ran in debug mode w/some Russian hack; I never did that. I'm on the K-5 now. I'm able to fine-tune every one of my normal screw-drive lenses just fine ... except the K-5. Nothing I do, adjust + or - any amount, or AF Fine Tune adjust for all or a single lens, makes a difference to the Sigma HSM's focus point on the new 70-200/2.8 HSM II that I got.

As all the main lens manufacturers have US offices here on LI, I'll be driving over to their office to drop the pair off to get the lens calibrated to the body some-time in the near future. Others have to ship it unfortunately.

12-09-2010, 09:32 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Sorry to say, but I think you will have a problem on the K-5. Sigma did 'reverse engineer' Pentax's SDM connection after all. And I don't think Pentax's AF fine-tune is doing its thing with them (the Sigma HSMs).

I'm coming from the K10D which only had lens AF fine tune for one lens, if you ran in debug mode w/some Russian hack; I never did that. I'm on the K-5 now. I'm able to fine-tune every one of my normal screw-drive lenses just fine ... except the K-5. Nothing I do, adjust + or - any amount, or AF Fine Tune adjust for all or a single lens, makes a difference to the Sigma HSM's focus point on the new 70-200/2.8 HSM II that I got.

As all the main lens manufacturers have US offices here on LI, I'll be driving over to their office to drop the pair off to get the lens calibrated to the body some-time in the near future. Others have to ship it unfortunately.
Have you had any experiences with the Tamrom 28-75? I really like the 24-70 range but I guess 28-75 can't be too bad. I'm just concerned that the Tamron won't be as nice of a lens as the Sigma. I know it's much cheaper but the Sigma HSM felt like a solid competitor. I was also thinking of wider zooms like the 17-50's or DA 16-50. Anybody have experiences with all/most of the lenses?
12-09-2010, 09:41 AM   #6
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by driftingbunnies Quote
Have you had any experiences with the Tamrom 28-75? I really like the 24-70 range but I guess 28-75 can't be too bad. I'm just concerned that the Tamron won't be as nice of a lens as the Sigma. I know it's much cheaper but the Sigma HSM felt like a solid competitor. I was also thinking of wider zooms like the 17-50's or DA 16-50. Anybody have experiences with all/most of the lenses?
Oh yes... I certainly have. I didn't buy the K10D "kit". I knew I wanted a fast lens from the start. I bought the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 as "my" kit lens, and has been a much loved lens of mine ... but over time I used it less and less and used some of my other lenses (you can check-out my gear in my profile linked in my signature).

I found renewed love for it when I clicked it on my K-5, story here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/124082-iso-80-permits-ma...ml#post1283261
Critiques would be you have to flip a switch on the lens to use it in manual mode. That aggravates me a lot, and a large reason I went for the Sigma 70-200/2.8 vs the Tamron, as the Tamron long zoom operates the same as this normal range zoom.

Last edited by m8o; 12-09-2010 at 09:47 AM.
12-10-2010, 01:14 AM   #7

Original Poster
So I've used my FA43 for a few days and it came to my attention that it has been back focusing a bit. Now considering that the Sigma was front focusing, would it be possible that BOTH lenses are bad or that the K-x is a bad copy. I'm not sure whether or not anybody has any problems with this since you can just adjust in the debug mode. However, it's strange to me that I have this issue for two (expensive) lenses. I guess there's always the possibility but should I send the K-x for repairs? It's definitely more noticeable when using larger apertures.