Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #16
Veteran Member
paperbag846's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,396
Original Poster
I personally think the M40 is only worth it to a collector, really, but it does have a cool factor associated with it. I've heard the optics are not on par with the DA 40.

12-12-2010, 11:08 AM   #17
Veteran Member
Frogfish's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 4,490
I have the 43 Ltd and FA50/1.4.

When I am using one the other is out in the cold .... currently the 43 Ltd is on my camera more than any other (though over the course of the year it was the 10-20, but only because the World Expo was on here and that was the perfect lense for it).

Last edited by Frogfish; 12-13-2010 at 11:44 AM.
12-12-2010, 12:03 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,775
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
I personally think the M40 is only worth it to a collector, really, but it does have a cool factor associated with it. I've heard the optics are not on par with the DA 40.
I doubt that the optics are too far different, since it appears to be the same design.

For now, I guess I can accept a slightly larger body and use the DA40 with a Superprogram to get a 40mm on film perspective.
12-12-2010, 01:39 PM   #19
axl
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I doubt that the optics are too far different, since it appears to be the same design.

For now, I guess I can accept a slightly larger body and use the DA40 with a Superprogram to get a 40mm on film perspective.
it does seem to be the same design but some say that the shape of the rear element changed a bit. By side by side comparisons I've seen, the M40 is not shabby but not as good as DA40 in terms of OOF and sharpness. If you don't need aperture ring, than just slap your DA40 on film body, it'll work just fine (to clarify that it is if you have film camera capable of controlling the aperture).

as for the opinion that M40 is worth only for collectors, well, I don't think it's that bad... and as for the price? Well in UK they go for 75-150... in other words, nowhere near that of DA40 used or new...

12-12-2010, 02:31 PM   #20
Veteran Member
paperbag846's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,396
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Well in UK they go for 75-150... in other words, nowhere near that of DA40 used or new...
For that price, maybe. I've seen them go for more... closer to the DA 40 price, I believe due to their rarity. At a price like that, it would only be worth it to the collector IMHO.
12-12-2010, 04:06 PM   #21
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
For that price, maybe. I've seen them go for more... closer to the DA 40 price, I believe due to their rarity. At a price like that, it would only be worth it to the collector IMHO.
possibly a collectors' item but not worth the price they are going for right now. I have seen most nowadays even selling for more than the DA40. although rare, but not quite as rare as other excellent old Pentax primes which sometimes are sold cheaper.
12-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #22
Veteran Member
paperbag846's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,396
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
not quite as rare as other excellent old Pentax primes which sometimes are sold cheaper.
I would agree there. They are fairly different, but I would prefer a 50mm 1.7 or 1.4 over the M 40, personally.

PS Did not mean to disparage the FA 43 + K/A 50mm 1.2 set up... that looks to be the ultimate solution .

Sounds like a good life goal for me .
12-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #23
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
I would agree there. They are fairly different, but I would prefer a 50mm 1.7 or 1.4 over the M 40, personally.

PS Did not mean to disparage the FA 43 + K/A 50mm 1.2 set up... that looks to be the ultimate solution .

Sounds like a good life goal for me .
for me it would be the FA31 and 50/1.2. my preference for the FA31 over the FA43 is more on the focal length use that I'm accustomed to. too bad the FA31 isn't that so easy to purchase (expensive).

12-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #24
Veteran Member
paperbag846's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,396
Original Poster
Also unusual for a wide angle, but I prefer the shallow DOF shots with the 31 over the 43. The 31 is my dream lens (and will remain dream-only for a long, long time ).

However the 31 - 50 is a really reasonable spread. 15 - 31 - 50 - 77 or 85 would be incredibly flexible.

It's nice to dream .
12-13-2010, 12:28 AM   #25
axl
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Also unusual for a wide angle, but I prefer the shallow DOF shots with the 31 over the 43. The 31 is my dream lens (and will remain dream-only for a long, long time ).

However the 31 - 50 is a really reasonable spread. 15 - 31 - 50 - 77 or 85 would be incredibly flexible.

It's nice to dream .
I agree on 31-50-77. It's possibly the best middle section money can buy in K world (although some would dispute the long end here and propose A* or FA*85 instead) but the gap from 15 to 31 is HUGE (IMHO). Especially if you think of it as there is no f2 or faster lens below 31! And that is the achilles' heel of current Pentax line up. Why do I keep 43? The FOV suits me well and if you put 31+50 on one side of a scale and 43 on the other, you'll see where I'm coming from
12-13-2010, 07:06 AM   #26
Veteran Member
Andi Lo's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,925
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I doubt that the optics are too far different, since it appears to be the same design.

For now, I guess I can accept a slightly larger body and use the DA40 with a Superprogram to get a 40mm on film perspective.
I have both and they're quite different imho. DA 40 is definitely the better lens; resolution, bokeh and color is much nicer; stopped down the DA version is not bad at all though. I can't use the M on my ME super so I don't really have a choice

I keep thinking I should go the same path suggested here as well (sell DA 40 and FA 50 and get FA 43), but reluctant because both of my copies are very good. Not sure if I'd risk it for a lens that I might not end up liking (I love DA 40, just warm to FA 50 on digital but it's indispensable on film bodies).

Last edited by Andi Lo; 12-13-2010 at 08:55 AM.
12-13-2010, 08:44 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,775
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I have both and they're quite different imho. DA 40 is definitely the better lens bokeh and color is much nicer; stopped down the M version is not bad at all though. I can't use the M on my ME super so I don't really have a choice

I keep thinking I should go the same path suggested here as well (sell DA 40 and FA 50 and get FA 43), but reluctant because both of my copies are very good. Not sure if I'd risk it for a lens that I might not end up liking (I love DA 40, just warm to FA 50 on digital but it's indispensable on film bodies).
I doubt if selling the the DA40 would ever be part of the plan. The lightweight pancake on the K-x is so unique and useful that I would keep both the 43 and the 40.

I just ran a roll though the P5 with the DA40 attached and will scan tonight. I'll see how the program settings work out with that. I really like the FOV of the 40 on film, and I wonder how much difference the 3mm of the 43 would make. Oddly, I don't seem to own a 135 zoom that includes that FL right now.
12-13-2010, 08:52 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,775
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
possibly a collectors' item but not worth the price they are going for right now. I have seen most nowadays even selling for more than the DA40. although rare, but not quite as rare as other excellent old Pentax primes which sometimes are sold cheaper.
B. Dimitrov's site maintains this lens is not particularly rare, and it was cheap when new. I tend to put the price of this lens in the same head-scratching basket as that of the K1000. I have used both many years ago (though I never actually owned the M40) but would not pay almost half the cost of a K5 for a good working combo of the two.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
da, da 40mm, fa, fa 43mm, fa 50mm, k-mount, length, pair, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DA 40mm ltd. or FA 43mm ltd? soppy Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 24 12-02-2010 03:11 PM
43mm Ltd vs 40mm Ltd dankoBanana Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 103 11-09-2010 10:55 PM
40mm DA vs 43mm FA andi Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 73 01-17-2010 10:53 AM
Anyone own the 40mm and 43mm loganross Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 05-27-2007 10:50 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:39 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top