Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2010, 10:30 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A 28mm f/2.8 or A 50mm f/1.7 would be a great way to get into manual focus primes. You could probably pull off a Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 or a 50mm macro Takumar plus a cheap ebay adaptor for under $80 with a little luck. A zoom in the 70-210 range as suggested above is also a great idea. Some of the Vivitar versions approach 1:2 magnification with good image quality, but the flange that protects the aperture lever needs to be cut down to work on a DSLR.

12-10-2010, 11:02 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
A 28mm f/2.8 or A 50mm f/1.7 would be a great way to get into manual focus primes.
+1. If you can only buy one, get the 50. The 28 is better than the kit lens, but not by as large a margin as the 50 1.7.
12-11-2010, 03:49 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
He will eventually get a fast 50 and learn to appreciate it, but for now, it's redundant.
I wouldn't consider a fast 50 redundant. It's a redundant focal length but if you want to take pictures in low light then you need the faster lens.
12-11-2010, 06:06 AM   #19
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
I wouldn't consider a fast 50 redundant. It's a redundant focal length but if you want to take pictures in low light then you need the faster lens.
I understand that, but not only is it only faster wide open, but it's sharpest stopped down two stops anyway, losing the speed advantage.

I get what you're saying, in that a fast fast 50 is a useful tool that he'll also learn a lot from, but it sounds like he's a young kid--and for a Christmas present, something that gives him a different reach would be more appreciated.

Being limited to 18-55 now, and having a 135 under the tree, is a big WOW factor.

12-11-2010, 11:22 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 on the 135 - I don't know what your budget is, but there's a million of these out there, and they can be had cheap. I got a pristine Vivitar 135 f/2.8 for $20. I use mine for shooting concerts, or my kid's school plays & recitals. While you're at it, why not throw in an M50 f/2? These are a great learning tool, and can be had for practically nothing (I paid 10 bucks for mine). Not the best for low-light shooting, but definitely usable, and good enough IQ as a daytime walkaround lens. At any rate, I think a manual prime (or two) would be a great gift & will keep him busy for a long time

Paul
12-11-2010, 08:14 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I understand that, but not only is it only faster wide open, but it's sharpest stopped down two stops anyway, losing the speed advantage.

I get what you're saying, in that a fast fast 50 is a useful tool that he'll also learn a lot from, but it sounds like he's a young kid--and for a Christmas present, something that gives him a different reach would be more appreciated.

Being limited to 18-55 now, and having a 135 under the tree, is a big WOW factor.
It all depends what he likes to take photos of. If a person takes a lot of indoor photos and needs a faster lens more than a telephoto then it's a better choice. The same as if a person takes a lot of macros then that would be a better choice. I don't know what the giftee likes to take pictures of but I think something along the lines of faster, longer or macro is a good gift idea.

An A 50/1.7 would also allow for auto aperture which might be important. And he could possibly then add a 50-200 or 55-300 lens as his telephoto later. Personally I like the telephoto primes but a new user might prefer the zoom flexibility, AF and auto aperture. And then the M 135 becomes completely redundant.
12-12-2010, 05:52 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
It all depends what he likes to take photos of. If a person takes a lot of indoor photos and needs a faster lens more than a telephoto then it's a better choice.
Right! But he has no experience outside his kit; he needs to explore alternatives.

It is important that the young photographer have his photographic horizons expanded by longer lenses, more magnification, or better low light capability.

I'd probably put long lens (greater reach) first on that list. It is a big world out there and usually just a little too far away!

One way of looking at it is if you double a zoom's max focal length, the number of scenes practical to frame also doubles. After using such a lens for a while he'll be better able to choose his next lens.

Dave

PS on the other hand a fast 50 (A type) would be great for taking indoor photos during the holiday celebrations! If you double the lens speed, you double the range of light levels for practical photography (so there's still no clearly preferable option!)

Last edited by newarts; 12-12-2010 at 06:26 AM.
12-12-2010, 06:08 AM   #23
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
It all depends what he likes to take photos of. If a person takes a lot of indoor photos and needs a faster lens more than a telephoto then it's a better choice. The same as if a person takes a lot of macros then that would be a better choice. I don't know what the giftee likes to take pictures of but I think something along the lines of faster, longer or macro is a good gift idea.

An A 50/1.7 would also allow for auto aperture which might be important. And he could possibly then add a 50-200 or 55-300 lens as his telephoto later. Personally I like the telephoto primes but a new user might prefer the zoom flexibility, AF and auto aperture. And then the M 135 becomes completely redundant.
Let's split the difference and tell him to buy the kid the new 18-135.

HAH!
12-12-2010, 07:19 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Let's split the difference and tell him to buy the kid the new 18-135.
I don't want one but if you can get me one for 80 bucks, I will not say no
12-12-2010, 02:28 PM   #25
Veteran Member

If your little brother is into macro photography, I'd definitely go with something in that field. In my opinion, the rayonex adapter or close up filters/lenses. If you can't get a macro lens. Reversing rings always have scared me. The thought of exposing the rear end of the lens to the open environment is never a good thought. The front has the SMC coating and sound scratch protection the rear however doesn't have those affordability. If your lucky you can score a PentaxM macro lens for 100$. That would be a good way to go. If not extention tubes followed by the close up filters. That's just my opinion.
12-31-2010, 02:42 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for all the suggestions! I got him a M 135 f3.5 for some more reach. A m42 adapter so that he can use a fujinon 55mm f1.8 (he already had this, but could not use it) directly on his pentax camera. And I also got him various filter rings, reverse ring, reverse adapter etc to mount all his lenses which ever way he wants His reaction when he opened it was ," I have to hurry opening all the other presents now so that I can play with this", so I think the gift was well received.
Thanks
12-31-2010, 03:21 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good job, that's a nice lens, I've heard.

If I'd seen this thread before Xmas, I might have suggested a Gorilla Pod. Might be helpful with the macro stuff (and they're just kind of cool)

Official Store: Shop the Joby Store for Gorillapod, Gorillamobile and Gorillatorch - flexible and bendable legs with magnetic feet
12-31-2010, 07:19 AM   #28
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Skog Quote
Thanks for all the suggestions! I got him a M 135 f3.5 for some more reach. A m42 adapter so that he can use a fujinon 55mm f1.8 (he already had this, but could not use it) directly on his pentax camera. And I also got him various filter rings, reverse ring, reverse adapter etc to mount all his lenses which ever way he wants His reaction when he opened it was ," I have to hurry opening all the other presents now so that I can play with this", so I think the gift was well received.
Thanks
Wish I had a brother like you!

And thanks for checking back in to let us know!