Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2010, 07:02 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Gift on a budget

Hi.
I was wondering if anyone has an idea for what I could get my little brother for x-mas?
I helped him get a used k10d with a kit lens some time ago, and he have already surpassed me in some areas of photography. He's talented!

I want to give him a pentax gift, preferable a new lens. Since he only have the 18-55mm.
But my budget is limited.

So is there anything worth getting for about $80 max (including ~$20 in shipping overseas)? Manual lenses are fine, he's a quick learner and likes to experiment.

Ideas?

12-10-2010, 07:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How about something like a M-50 1:1.7 and maybe a set of extension tubes and/or a reverse adapter for experimenting with macro?
12-10-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
How about something like a M-50 1:1.7 and maybe a set of extension tubes and/or a reverse adapter for experimenting with macro?
+1 on the 50 1.7

most M lenses should fit the budget. but before you shop online take a quick buzz around the various flea markets and thrift shops, most of my m lense collection was accumulated this way and I've rarely paid more than $20 CDN (about 15 euros) you'd be surprised what you come across in dark dusty shops. If you're lucky at your budget you could give him a M28 f2.8 and a m50 f1.7 (my 50 came from portobello road in London for 10 pounds while on vacation)

good luck
12-10-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The 50/1.7 is a great option for a faster lens. The A series go as low as $80 while the M goes for about $50.
The 135/3.5 is a great option to expand his focal range. I picked up an M for $55.
An ND4 or ND8 filter could be a nice part of the gift if he's interested in taking waterfall pics with slow shutter speeds. Likewise the extension tubes and/or reverse adapter if he's interested in macro.

12-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

I second the 135. He needs something long(er).

Or the macro suggestion.

He will eventually get a fast 50 and learn to appreciate it, but for now, it's redundant.

Another option might be one of those cool, inexpensive tabletop product shot kits with the collapsible white tent boxes plus lights. They have new kits like this for like 75 bucks.
12-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Definitely look around at local camera shops as well as thrift stores and pawn shops.

Older manual lenses can go for pretty cheap at local stores.

My best find so far at a thrift shop was a Pentax ME (broken) with an SMC-A 50mm for $15. The lens is is perfect condition except for the aperture ring which is normal for this lens.
12-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies
I did look through the local second hand store, but as I suspected they only had smelly furniture and yellow books.. I think internet shopping is my best option really, not much to choose from where I live. They don't even sell new pentax gear. :\

He's very into macro, so I will keep in mind the extension tubes, and reverse rings. But I really wanted to get him a lens. He's young and cant afford them by himself.

I think either of your suggestions would be cool, but I agree that he needs something longer. What exactly is the 135mm range used for? (excuse my ignorance, I mostly shoot either 18 or 300mm :P )

I did check ebay, the sale section here, keh, adorama and bh, but the prices are too high. Any idea on other places to look? I'd buy either one of the lenses mentioned here at that price.

12-10-2010, 03:09 PM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Skog Quote
What exactly is the 135mm range used for? (excuse my ignorance, I mostly shoot either 18 or 300mm :P )
The 135mm range is used for when you're standing in a position where you need the 135mm.

There's no real answer to when you'll need a particular focal length. The need varies from nature, to a wedding, to portraits, to shooting your neighbor's t*ts when she's gardening topless.
12-10-2010, 03:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Craigslist seems to be full of 50mm 1.7 lenses.

If you can, swing for the A version of the 50mm 1.7. It's a lot nicer to use, especailly for a new photographer. You can find them for $50-$60.

PS. Ira, I wouldn't want to cast MY neighbor's in stone
12-10-2010, 03:24 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Prefer an A series lens if you have a choice (all automatic camera functions will work except focus). I agree with Ira, long would be nice. KEH.com lists a few nice bargain BGN* lenses in your price range -for example:
70-210 f4 A zoom, $59, sharp wide open Pentax Manual Focus 70-210 F4 SMC A MACRO (58) 35MM SLR MANUAL FOCUS ZOOM TELEPHOTO LENS - KEH.com

review - https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-A-70-210mm-F4-Zoom-Lens.html

Also consider a Pentax-52mm reversing ring; it will enable a good range of macro photography using his kit and future lenses. Here's one from fotodiox for $15. Fotodiox

Dave

*do not fear keh's BGN lenses. They are fine optically & keh is good to deal with.

Last edited by newarts; 12-10-2010 at 03:31 PM.
12-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Ira, I wouldn't want to cast MY neighbor's in stone
If that's a religious reference, you have to be clearer than that for me to understand it!

I know that Lot's (spelling?) wife turned to salt, but not stone.
12-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
Prefer an A series lens if you have a choice (all automatic camera functions will work except focus). I agree with Ira, long would be nice. KEH.com lists a few nice bargain BGN* lenses in your price range -for example:
70-210 f4 A zoom, $59, sharp wide open Pentax Manual Focus 70-210 F4 SMC A MACRO (58) 35MM SLR MANUAL FOCUS ZOOM TELEPHOTO LENS - KEH.com

review - SMC Pentax-A 70-210mm F4 Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database

Also consider a Pentax-52mm reversing ring; it will enable a good range of macro photography using his kit and future lenses. Here's one from fotodiox for $15. Fotodiox

Dave

*do not fear keh's BGN lenses. They are fine optically & keh is good to deal with.

I second a 70-210 lens. plus a reversing ring or extension tube for macro work. these would cost just around your budget.
12-10-2010, 09:54 PM   #13

hmm... 50mm and 70--210 are both very good. tough choice...
12-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Skog Quote
Thanks for the replies
I did look through the local second hand store, but as I suspected they only had smelly furniture and yellow books.. I think internet shopping is my best option really, not much to choose from where I live. They don't even sell new pentax gear. :\

He's very into macro, so I will keep in mind the extension tubes, and reverse rings. But I really wanted to get him a lens. He's young and cant afford them by himself.

I think either of your suggestions would be cool, but I agree that he needs something longer. What exactly is the 135mm range used for? (excuse my ignorance, I mostly shoot either 18 or 300mm :P )

I did check ebay, the sale section here, keh, adorama and bh, but the prices are too high. Any idea on other places to look? I'd buy either one of the lenses mentioned here at that price.
if you are lucky you may find an m100 f 4.0 macro giving him more length (longish portrait mid telephoto) and macro at the same time.
12-10-2010, 10:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I have a Tokina 70-200 f4 rmc that i could give up i don't use it not sure how fast shipping could get it there (part of a package deal i bought haven't used it beyond testing for operation. Like the Pentax M/kseries it will be full manual (No A on the lens) I'm a prime guy so intend to sell it on just hadn't got around to it. If you're interested PM me and Ill work something out for you (need to look and see what it's worth)
no front lens cap, comes with a soft bag and rear cap, no fungus/oil some normal dust. it's a one touch zoom