Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Warranty for used lens?

I'm looking at picking up a used lens. The seller has not filled in the warranty card but I would need proof of purchase in order to register, correct? How have others dealt with this situation when buying a used lens? Or is the common wisdom that this is used, so you take your chances...

12-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
... the common wisdom that this is used, so you take your chances...
Yeah, that's it.

At least in most states in the US, filling the warranty card or registering is not required for the warranty. In other words, the warranty card is only a way for the manufacturer to collect your name and address to send junk mail to

It doesn't matter whether you send in the warranty card, when you need warranty work, they will still ask you for proof of purchase.

Additional notes:

There are ways to still require you to register, however. For example, many Ridgid power tools (you can see them at Home Depot) in addition to the normal 1 yr warranty, have life-time service agreement, which require you to register. Note that Ridgid does not use the term "life-time warranty."

Likewise, a manufacturer may offer 90-day warranty for which you don't have to register, and a 1-yr service agreement for which you do have to register.

Last edited by SOldBear; 12-10-2010 at 11:44 AM.
12-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
I'm looking at picking up a used lens. The seller has not filled in the warranty card but I would need proof of purchase in order to register, correct? How have others dealt with this situation when buying a used lens? Or is the common wisdom that this is used, so you take your chances...
Most warranty cards must be completed and returned within 10 days or so to be considered "proof of purchase". I would consider it worthless if it has been some time.

Also, manufacturer warranties are only for the original owner. 3rd-party warranties may be transferable, for a fee.

As posted above, if it is used, you should expect to take your chances.
12-10-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Pentax 1 year warranty solely valid according to prove of purchase. They didn't include warranty card to send it back for registration for years. I think the last item I saw shipped with warranty card is Pentax K100D.

12-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So what if the seller includes the original purchase receipt? Are you covered then?
12-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arm_jstp Quote
Pentax 1 year warranty solely valid according to prove of purchase. They didn't include warranty card to send it back for registration for years. I think the last item I saw shipped with warranty card is Pentax K100D.
Correct. Having a warranty card doesn't mean anything in terms of transferring the warranty and new lenses don't even come with cards to return anymore.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
So what if the seller includes the original purchase receipt? Are you covered then?
Technically no, but in practice I think it works most of the time. Basically if the original warranty isn't transferable, having the original receipt doesn't technically change that. However, in practice I'm pretty sure people have gotten warranty service that way. YMMV.