Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've got a tight ring, fixable?

I have acquired a FA 80-320. The zoom ring is sort of sticky, like it's too tight. Is there some way of making it smooth again (without spraying oil down there )? It's really only bad from 200-320.

Thanks.

12-11-2010, 12:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I've got a tight ring, fixable?
You have really left yourself open to all sorts of replies.
12-11-2010, 12:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
My first thought too !
12-11-2010, 07:58 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I have acquired a FA 80-320. The zoom ring is sort of sticky, like it's too tight. Is there some way of making it smooth again (without spraying oil down there )? It's really only bad from 200-320.

Thanks.
I'll pass on the jokes, although it did make me pause for a moment

One thing I have noticed on consumer FA lenses is that pentax optical design has the lens go through an inflection point, where the overall length of the lens changes from being long as you are zoomed out to short at some middle point and getting long again when zoomed all the way in. The zoom stiffness changes between these two extremes, making the feel somewhat inconsistant. Don;t know if this applies on medimum to long tele zooms but certainly does on wide to medium tele.

BTW, is this a power zoom lens?

12-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
One thing I have noticed on consumer FA lenses is that pentax optical design has the lens go through an inflection point, where the overall length of the lens changes from being long as you are zoomed out to short at some middle point and getting long again when zoomed all the way in. The zoom stiffness changes between these two extremes, making the feel somewhat inconsistant. Don;t know if this applies on medimum to long tele zooms but certainly does on wide to medium tele.
Zooms have one or more concentric lens barrels. One construction method to control the movement between barrels is a groove in the outer barrel, and a nylon roller bearing within the groove. Usually a pair of grooves and bearings. The change in direction means a V shaped groove. If one nylon bearing cracks or breaks, it can cause that kind of sticking feeling.

I have a pretty low rate of success fixing this type of problem. Some of the time, you can see what's not working, but not make it any better - lack of correct part, etc. Sometimes there are four concentric barrels and the problem one is buried. I'd wait for it to get worse.
12-12-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
Yeah I know, nice to keep people amused though!

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

BTW, is this a power zoom lens?
No not power zoom. Yes there's a definite pause around 200mm.

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I have a pretty low rate of success fixing this type of problem. Some of the time, you can see what's not working, but not make it any better - lack of correct part, etc. Sometimes there are four concentric barrels and the problem one is buried. I'd wait for it to get worse.
And then what when it gets worse, dump it?