Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

UV Filter for the 40mm Ltd.

I am planning on buying a UV filter for my DA 40mm Ltd that I will be getting over the holidays. What would be a good filter so as to not ruin the sharpness of this great piece of glass? I usually stick with the Hoya HD filters but they don't come in a 49mm thread, so any ideas?

This is what is currently in my cart at Adorama:
661065559 B + W 49mm Digital Pro UV (Ultra Violet) Haze Multi Coated (2C) Glass Filter #010

There are about 10 different filters that all seem to be the same except for price differences, so a little guidance would be appreciated. One that fingerprints wipe off of is ideal.

I like these filters for the piece of mind it gives me that I'm not ruining my lens inadvertently with my fingers or something, so please don't turn this into a argument about the usefulness of UV filters. Thanks!

12-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I found one of these 65-1065558 B + W 49mm Digital Pro UV (Ultra Violet) Haze Glass Filter #010 attached to a used lens I purchased.

I don't really like it... it does affect the sharpness of the DA 40 IMHO. However sometimes it is worth it, i.e., when it is snowing out.

Yours looks to be better quality, so maybe it won't be as bad. I think it's good to have one around, but not necessarily one on every lens you have 24/7.

The DA 40 in particular... you can really leave the hood on at all times, and it's not easy to accidentally get things under there due to it's design.

I would say that the DA 40's hood is one of the best hoods I have seen on any lens.
12-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Do you have a picture of the hood? I have heard people talking about how weird the cap is and the hood, but couldn't find pictures anywhere...
12-11-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

That little lip sticking out is the hood .

The screw in cap is a pain, yes. It's too classy, not functional enough.

Thats why I put the screw in cap in the leather bag, which goes in the box, which goes in my closet. Instead, I use a push-in film canister cap as a lens cap. It pops out easily, is easy to replace if lost, and there is no risk of scratching anything .

12-11-2010, 03:00 PM   #5
Banned

Photos: Albums
If I get any filters these days, I only look at B+W - their MRC coating (Multi Resistant Coating) is easier to clean and more resistant to scratches - their brochure says that their coating is "harder than glass". Also, B+W uses Schott glass, which is the same glass used by Zeiss.

I still use some Hoya HMC and they're much harder to clean. I regret not getting B+W as there isn't much price difference between the two.
12-11-2010, 03:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well the Hoya HD's are supposed to be outstanding (I don't currently have any but plan on buying them from what I have seen). There are videos of people smashing them (or trying to rather) and putting fingerprints on them all over youtube, they clean off and dont have a scratch on them. They also have some of the best light transmission in the filter industry. I am certain B+W are nearly the same though as well, I doubt there is a noticable difference between the two in practical use.

Please note I am referring to the HD's, not just the HMC.
12-11-2010, 03:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That hood does look good, but I will also be using the lens on the beach and in the snow (ski trip coming up) so the added protection of a UV filter would be a nice addition.

12-11-2010, 03:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soppy Quote
That hood does look good, but I will also be using the lens on the beach and in the snow (ski trip coming up) so the added protection of a UV filter would be a nice addition.
Yes a filter under the hood would be wise in these conditions. It's a cheap way to get some extra protection on your investment. But do be careful of the sand... it can get in all sorts of other little nooks and crannies.
12-11-2010, 03:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah sand is a pain, causes problems for nearly everything. Funny considering glass is made of sand...

Anyway back to the original topic, which one would be the best for my purposes (i.e. minimal loss of sharpness)?
12-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't bother with a UV filter for the 40mm Ltd. Just buy a 30.5mm lens cap, $5 or less, and use the supplied hood. The supplied screw on lens cap is more or less useless (except for resale value) With a 30.5mm opening on the hood, the chances of something actually coming in contact with the front lens element (like a finger) is practically zero. With the supplied hood, the distance from the hood to the front lens element is more than 1 cm, so it's well recessed. Even with the hood and a 30.5mm lens cap, the lens is still tiny.

Plus, who'd want to mess with the 40mm Ltd optics - it's razor sharp, and any UV filter will just degrade the image.
12-12-2010, 01:39 AM   #11
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by soppy Quote
Well the Hoya HD's are supposed to be outstanding
I don't think they were around when I purchased the HMC - I don't remember seeing them. And since I've been very happy with the B+W, I haven't looked for anything else.

Regarding IQ degradation, I've never seen any as a result of using a good quality filter. The main risk is flare, so if you take night shots and see issues with flare or ghosting, try removing the filter. But otherwise, there's no negative impact, or to put it differently, there's no practically significant negative impact.

Here's a nice article related to the impact on IQ made by bad stuff at the front of a lens:
LensRentals.com - Front Element Scratches

The DA40 is a tiny lens and I would avoid using a filter with it just to keep the lens package small. But I wouldn't be concerned of a filter affecting its IQ, regardless of filter brand, as long as it's relatively high end.
12-12-2010, 02:18 AM   #12

a very good UV filters test:

UV filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com
12-12-2010, 08:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So which B+W should I ultimately get? There are still a ton of choices at Adorama and not much description. Which is the best one that does what I want it too and I don't need to worry about wiping off the filter if it gets mist/snow etc. on it?

Perhaps it isn't a B+W at all, in which case I am even more lost lol
12-12-2010, 09:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Just read the reviews if you really care that much. Hoya HD or the B + W multicoated should be fine. It's not really a huge deal, just don't buy the cheapest one you can find.
12-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Most don't have reviews and I can't seem to tell the difference. Some say pro, others say 2C (which I'm guessing means 2 coatings?) some are for infrared and UV while others are just UV. It is too complicated lol. So here are the ones I have narrowed it down to. Please help me pick one.

1)
65011395 B + W 49mm Strong Absorbing UV (Ultra Violet) Haze Glass Filter #415

2)
661058451 B + W 49mm XS-PRO UV Haze MRC (010M) Glass Filter

3)
66-1065560 B + W 49mm Digital Pro UV/IR Blocking #486 Glass Filter for Blocking Ultra Violet and Infrared Radiation

4)
661065559 B + W 49mm Digital Pro UV (Ultra Violet) Haze Multi Coated (2C) Glass Filter #010

Just needing some help. I would go with the HD's if they came in this size, but they don't so I need help. Thanks a lot guys!