Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Any of these lenses worth converting to K mount?

I picked up quite a few Konica mount lenses that were in lens lots on Ebay.

For what I got them for, I should be able to easily make more selling them seperate if I decide not to keep them.

#1. Soligor 35-70mm 2.5-3.5 macro zoom - Macro ranges from 1:8-1:2.7 - separate settings for macro, zoom, and focus. Has a built in retractable hood.

#2. Tokina 200mm 3.5 - has built in retractable hood.

#3. Konica Hexar AR 135mm 3.5 - has built in retractable hood. Not really planning on converting this unless it is a really good lens since I am accumulating too many 135s as it is.

#4. Cimko 70-210mm 3.8 one touch macro zoom. Has built in retractable hood. Macro is available through the whole range unlike many other macro zooms wher macro is only available at the longest setting.

#5. Konica Hexanon AR 40mm 1.8. Not really planning on converting this unless it is a really good lens.

#6. Vivitar 85-205mm 3.8. Has some haze on one of the elements. Has a built in retractable hood. The body of this one looks new... but it is a really long and heavy lens.

#7. Vivitar 28mm 2.5. I already have the m42 version of this lens which I never use anyway. Contemplating just selling both of them.

#8. Konica Hexanon AR 35-70mm 3.5-4.5 macro zoom. Not really thinking about even bothering with this lens. Just don't see myself ever needing this lens especially if I convert the soligor one.

#9. Koninca Hexanon AR 57mm 1.4 has oil on the blades - definitly converting this lens unless somebody gives me a really good reason not to.

I also picked up a few m42 lenses with the lens lots as well.

Sears 300mm 5.5

Sears 55mm 1.8

Tessar 2.8/50 Carl Zeiss Jena DDR - has oil on the blades but wanted to try it out since this and the Viv 85-205 was only $5 plus shipping.

12-11-2010, 10:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

My gut reaction: Any of those lenses on T-mounts could take PK T-mount adapters, if only to sell. Converting any lenses with integral Konica mounts requires non-trivial surgery AFAIK. Or do you have a simple conversion method? I have done simple mods of OM, C/Y, and Nikon mounts to PK. I considered converting Konica and Minolta lenses, but gave up because I lack the necessary skills and equipment. Good luck!
12-11-2010, 10:50 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What do you have to lose by giving it a try? The only ones I would even consider trying are the short primes (40 and 57) because the others are readily available (kind of) in some sort of Pentax mount. Even then I don't know if I would bother with the 57 because 55mm f1.4 M42 lenses are a dime a dozen it seems these days.

The problem you're likely to have (other than the mechanical mounting) is infinity focusing. If they focus Past infinity then it may be a simple matter of adding spacers but if it won't go To infinity, then you're removing metal. You'll also want to make sure that the mirror doesn't hit the rear elements when it flips up.

If you're into macro, any of them flipped around front to front on a Pentax lens would make interesting closeup lenses.

Show us what you come up with.

12-12-2010, 12:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
AFAIK the Konica 40mm has a great reputation and I've considered getting one myself and converting it.

But the register difference between Konica AR and K-mount is ~5mm and this lens is very small. Basically you'd have to shave 5mm off the lens base and that would mean removing the aperture ring (and the lens barrel underneath it) to get to the required register distance.

12-12-2010, 02:12 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
I picked up quite a few Konica mount lenses that were in lens lots on Ebay.

For what I got them for, I should be able to easily make more selling them seperate if I decide not to keep them.

#1. Soligor 35-70mm 2.5-3.5 macro zoom - Macro ranges from 1:8-1:2.7 - separate settings for macro, zoom, and focus. Has a built in retractable hood.

#2. Tokina 200mm 3.5 - has built in retractable hood.

#3. Konica Hexar AR 135mm 3.5 - has built in retractable hood. Not really planning on converting this unless it is a really good lens since I am accumulating too many 135s as it is.

#4. Cimko 70-210mm 3.8 one touch macro zoom. Has built in retractable hood. Macro is available through the whole range unlike many other macro zooms wher macro is only available at the longest setting.

#5. Konica Hexanon AR 40mm 1.8. Not really planning on converting this unless it is a really good lens.

#6. Vivitar 85-205mm 3.8. Has some haze on one of the elements. Has a built in retractable hood. The body of this one looks new... but it is a really long and heavy lens.

#7. Vivitar 28mm 2.5. I already have the m42 version of this lens which I never use anyway. Contemplating just selling both of them.

#8. Konica Hexanon AR 35-70mm 3.5-4.5 macro zoom. Not really thinking about even bothering with this lens. Just don't see myself ever needing this lens especially if I convert the soligor one.

#9. Koninca Hexanon AR 57mm 1.4 has oil on the blades - definitly converting this lens unless somebody gives me a really good reason not to.

I also picked up a few m42 lenses with the lens lots as well.

Sears 300mm 5.5

Sears 55mm 1.8

Tessar 2.8/50 Carl Zeiss Jena DDR - has oil on the blades but wanted to try it out since this and the Viv 85-205 was only $5 plus shipping.
Konica is my other system, and I have all these Hexanon lenses and many more. The zoom is nothing special (unlike the 35-70/constant 3.5). The 135mm is the less interresting Konica 135mm. The Hexar lenses was not built by Konica but by Tokina and relabed Konica. The low budget option, comparable to Takumar bayonet's. The 57/1.4 is a good lens, but the best Hexanons 50's are the 57/1.2, 50/1.4 and 50/1.7. Good luck converting it, since you will have to lose the apperture ring, and since the rear element is so far back in the construction that it will extend some 5mm into the camera if you convert it to K mount. Might need to shave of the mirror. The 40/1.8 is an excellent lens. Pancake, faster and sharper than the Pentax-M 40/2.8. But likewise, it will be difficult to convert. I sometimes use it inverted in front of a 200mm lens on my Pentax DSLRs. It gives macro 5:1, and minimise light and sharpness loss compared to most other lenses I've used in that way. That doesn't take any conversion.
12-12-2010, 01:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Konica is my other system, and I have all these Hexanon lenses and many more. The zoom is nothing special (unlike the 35-70/constant 3.5). The 135mm is the less interresting Konica 135mm. The Hexar lenses was not built by Konica but by Tokina and relabed Konica. The low budget option, comparable to Takumar bayonet's. The 57/1.4 is a good lens, but the best Hexanons 50's are the 57/1.2, 50/1.4 and 50/1.7. Good luck converting it, since you will have to lose the apperture ring, and since the rear element is so far back in the construction that it will extend some 5mm into the camera if you convert it to K mount. Might need to shave of the mirror. The 40/1.8 is an excellent lens. Pancake, faster and sharper than the Pentax-M 40/2.8. But likewise, it will be difficult to convert. I sometimes use it inverted in front of a 200mm lens on my Pentax DSLRs. It gives macro 5:1, and minimise light and sharpness loss compared to most other lenses I've used in that way. That doesn't take any conversion.
Do you know if the 57/1.4 has an infinity adjustment similiar to the Minolta 58/1.4? If it does AND the focus helicoid is setup the same way, I can gain almost all of the needed adjustment just from those two things. It should have plenty of clearance with the mirror when converted.

If I can't convert it, I will just clean/fix it and sell it.

The 40/1.8 is definitely no convertable withough major hacking which I am not about to do. Do you have any macro pics posted when you were using that lens reversed on your 200mm?

On the other hand... the soligor 35-70 is going to be really easy to convert. I will have to trim and reverse the spacer that has the aperture arm that is actuated by the camera. I will also probably have to cut the four mount screws down so they don't interfere with anything. After partially disassembling and looking at it, the macro adjustment is basically a built in adjustable extension tube.

Last edited by cyclone3d; 12-12-2010 at 02:00 PM.