Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: If You Could Just Pick One..
Pentax DA 12-24 3322.00%
Pentax DA 10-17 74.67%
Pentax DA 15 5033.33%
Tamron 10-24 106.67%
Sigma 10-20 3221.33%
Sigma 8-16 1812.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2010, 08:36 AM   #31
Veteran Member

It is very interesting that the DA15 has the most votes and yet very few people have actually said anything about wy the DA15 is their preferred choice over the other lenses. What I do find on here is that the DA15 has a cult following (certainly amongst people who prefer to shoot primes) and that the poll result may well be skewed because of that.

I have the 10-20 and it is my most used lense. Very versatile. A few points in this regard :
1. Heavy ? It's an UWA - none of them are heavy ! Others my be lighter but that doesn't mean this one is heavy ! It easily fits into any of my three camera bags along with other lenses.
2. It's a very sharp lense, however there is a fair amount of distortion at 10-12mm which is easily corrected using PTLens in PP.
3. Upon checking I found that most of my shots were at 10mm (2nd most were at 20mm - which is normal, most people tend to shoot at one end or the other of their zoom's range). However it means that 12mm would probably have meant moving my position - and although 2mm doesn't seem a lot when it's on a UWA it IS a lot.

I haven't voted for the simple reason that I haven't tried any of the other lenses and there is a huge variance in the shooting style required from say an 8-16 to a DA15. I would say your final choice really depends on your preference for either a prime or a zoom.

12-13-2010, 08:56 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DA 15 - it's not for everyone .

I'm attracted because it's an easy way to carry along a wide without compromising space in your bag (and I carry a small bag). It's fairly wide but nothing like 10 or 12mm, so if you want that then go for it.

Outside of the size advantage, I am attracted to it's flare resistance, which is pretty magical even if the other lenses are still very good in this respect.

Finally, for indoors + flash, I don't like swinging around zooms, which is completely personal preference.
12-13-2010, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
It is very interesting that the DA15 has the most votes and yet very few people have actually said anything about wy the DA15 is their preferred choice over the other lenses. What I do find on here is that the DA15 has a cult following (certainly amongst people who prefer to shoot primes) and that the poll result may well be skewed because of that.
It's a poll with 5 zooms and one prime. I wouldn't be surprised if the zooms are splitting up all of the zoom votes.

For example the DA 12-24 and the Sigma 10-20 combined have the same # of votes as the DA 15mm. And based on all the discussion I'm guessing that most would vote for the other zoom if there was only one in the poll.
12-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #34

I went for the Sigma 10-20 (the older, sharper, f4-5.6 version), since that's the one I actually bought. I love it, and don't regret not having the DA12-24 (which was an alternative until the last of them at the old price ran out). Sure, the DA might be sharper at large apertures but I can guarantee you that the Sigma is better at 10mm than the DA is :P

12-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #35
Pentaxian

I went for the Sigma 10-20/3.5. Note that this is the newer version of the Sigma 10-20/4-5.6. You can still get both. Your poll doesn't discriminate between the two.

I concur with the idea that the zoom votes get split up over some alternatives. I don't think the DA 15 makes a lot of sense for you since it doesn't offer that much more AOV than the 17mm setting on your zoom. Unless size is your primary concern, I wouldn't consider the DA 15.

Regarding the Pentax 12-24, I think you need to take into account where you posted the poll. A lot of Pentaxians like this lens to the point where I'd say it is overrated. It is not a bad lens at all, on the contrary, but I often see members of this forum favour a Pentax lens against third party offerings independently of IQ merit and/or the value for money relationship.

I think the 10-20 Sigmas offer better value for money and might be even better in absolute terms than the Pentax 12-24. The Sigma 10-20 Club has a huge fan base.
12-13-2010, 10:01 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I didn't vote because of the lenses listed, I only have the DA10-17. Thinking a little further: If I were to acquire the Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, my lens load would not be lightened. I would still keep the 10-17 for fishiness, and the Zenitar 16/2.8 for speed. Unfortunately, faster rectilinear ultrawides are rather costly. I guess I'll need to rob a convenience store after all. Bother.
12-13-2010, 11:09 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I gotta go with the incredible DA 15mm
12-14-2010, 12:28 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
abacus07: It's a poll with 5 zooms and one prime. I wouldn't be surprised if the zooms are splitting up all of the zoom votes.
Thanks for the astute observation. You see this in politics sometimes, where the Rep vs Dem election is more determined by an Independent whose right or left tendency steals votes from one of the main candidates.

12-14-2010, 10:18 AM   #39
Forum Member

Original Poster
that is interesting to learn, thank you. for me i'd see each lens as an individual - certainly not from a prime vs zoom perspective. shouldn't whatever does the job best to your liking just be it??

by the way, going on by reputation and by versatility, i have developed my decision further into 2 options - i am leaning towards the DA 12-24 and the Sigma 10-20.

I'd like to ask, what are the pros and cons of the 2, and which is better? pardon me if this is a long repeated question - the search for a comparison isn't yielding results for me.

I have an option of getting a DA 12-24 2nd hand at the price of the sigma 10-20 new - given my situation, which should i go for?

my apologies to all the prime voters out there i appreciate your input, in any case. =) if you guys do have amazing stories of how the small size of the DA15 have made things significantly easier for you, i'd love to hear it too - who knows, maybe i'd be converted before i get to make my purchase.
12-14-2010, 10:47 AM   #40
Veteran Member

They are both great lenses - your choice should depend on the source of the 12-24 (reliable and is the lense in perfect condition) and if you want/need the guarantee that you will get with the 10-20.

Is the 10-20 the new constant 3.5 or the variable 4.0 - 5.8 ? I have the older variable 10-20 and, as per the thread on this forum, it is capable of superb shots.

I would go for the new Sigma 10-20 since the Pentax new is over-priced anyway (since the two lenses are of very similar quality) as it does not only not offer much over the Sigma but it loses out in the one area you bought the lense for .... UWA ! There is visually a large difference between 10 & 12mm. Beware though that there is some distortion at 10mm (easily corrected in PP using PTLens for example).

Note the older 10-20 (4.0 - 5.8) is supposedly sharper but the newer version carries a constant 3.5 that must help in some situations.

Last edited by Frogfish; 12-14-2010 at 12:23 PM.
12-14-2010, 11:31 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
11-16 f2.8...
Sigh ......
12-14-2010, 06:53 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ohyouloveme Quote
that is interesting to learn, thank you. for me i'd see each lens as an individual - certainly not from a prime vs zoom perspective. shouldn't whatever does the job best to your liking just be it??

by the way, going on by reputation and by versatility, i have developed my decision further into 2 options - i am leaning towards the DA 12-24 and the Sigma 10-20.

I'd like to ask, what are the pros and cons of the 2, and which is better? pardon me if this is a long repeated question - the search for a comparison isn't yielding results for me.

I have an option of getting a DA 12-24 2nd hand at the price of the sigma 10-20 new - given my situation, which should i go for?

my apologies to all the prime voters out there i appreciate your input, in any case. =) if you guys do have amazing stories of how the small size of the DA15 have made things significantly easier for you, i'd love to hear it too - who knows, maybe i'd be converted before i get to make my purchase.
Each lens might be an individual but I think you would get very different results if the poll was between one prime (15mm) and one zoom (10-20mm). Probably closer to 50/50 than the 40/20/20 that you have now.

I would go with a new 10-20 instead of a used 12-24. If nobody can say that the Pentax is better then the brand new factor carries value imo.

The difference in weight between the DA15 and either of the zooms is about the same as the weight of a 28mm and 50mm lens. Since I go backpacking a lot this is an important factor for me (really important) since it's already a luxury to take a dSLR on my trips. OTOH if I was taking half of my shots with the Sigma and I wanted the UWA of the Sigma then I might pick that.
12-14-2010, 07:26 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I own both the 12-24 and the 10-17 fisheye, but voted for the fisheye because I have way more fun with it, the creative possibilities are practically endless, and it's not so "fishy" at the 17mm end. That said, you're either a fisheye lover or you're not; I haven't heard about too many people having a neutral view on fisheye lenses.
12-14-2010, 07:39 PM   #44
Veteran Member

here you go. >>> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/99496-images-t...x-12-24mm.html
12-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote

Note the older 10-20 (4.0 - 5.8) is supposedly sharper but the newer version carries a constant 3.5 that must help in some situations.
Well, there was really only one review that claimed the older version was sharper. Other reviews have not claimed that. But the rep has kind of stuck. One thing that is definitely true, though, is that the new version is much more consistent in its flare resistance. That, to me, is the biggest reason to recommend it. The f/3.5 speed is inconsequential on this type of lens, IMO.

Having said that, I just sold my 10-20/3.5 because I so preferred the DA15. It's the only wide lens I've ever even liked, and I love it. Why? I prefer the 15mm FOV, truly world-class flare resistance, performs like it has a built-in polarizer, small size and weight, excellent build-quality. It all adds up to a winner in my book.

Anyway, choose whichever lens will make you happy, I just had to get a plug in for the DA15.