Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #1

DA 40 Focus ring stuck

Sorry in advance if this is the wrong place to post.

I have a DA40 lens that I purchased at B&H last December on the 23rd. Yesterday I tried to use it and and it the focus ring seemed to be stuck. I could turn it by hand (it takes some effort) but the camera couldn't turn it at all in autofocus.

I'm currently in New Zealand and I'll be here until March. I don't have the original box or paperwork with me. Its all back in the states in storage. I do have the email confirmation that I got back from B&H when I ordered it.

What is the best way to see about getting the lens repaired. Would Pentax cover it under warranty even though I don't have any of the paperwork with me? Is this something I can fix myself maybe?

I'm leaving for Australia to go the Great Barrier Reef over the holidays but I have a couple of lenses for backup. This lens is my favourite lens for a lot of reasons so it sucks that it isn't working.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

_Kris

12-12-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're cutting it close for warranty service, I would contact Pentax USA service and ask them. I would think your confirmation would be good enough but don't know that for a fact.

Can you turn the focus ring if the lens is Not on the camera or if the camera is on MF?

12-12-2010, 06:38 PM   #3

Original Poster
I can turn it by hand both on and off the camera but its way to tight for the camera's motor to work the focus.
12-12-2010, 11:24 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I'd make arrangements to send it in asap. Sounds like the AF drive went south on the lens. It's assume other lenses work on the camera?

12-13-2010, 02:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is a simple lens and any repair should not take long or difficult. If the focusing ring is tight, it's best don't try to turn it to avoid any premature wear. I don't have this lens so I cannot tell how to disassemble it in detail, but the chance of AF shaft failure is slim. I think either the helical was misaligned (as they are loosely fit) or the guiding plate(s) was/were loose (loose screws are common with Limited lenses). Maybe you should contact Ian R. Little Ltd. directly and see what they need for warranty repair. Good luck.

http://www.pentax.com/distri_oceania.html
12-13-2010, 02:25 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I wouldn't disassemble an under warranty lens. Under any circumstances.

12-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #7
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by gus007 Quote
I have a DA40 lens that I purchased at B&H last December on the 23rd. Yesterday I tried to use it and and it the focus ring seemed to be stuck. I could turn it by hand (it takes some effort) but the camera couldn't turn it at all in autofocus.
I can email a copy of your original invoice, but I cannot ID you from the info in your forum profile here. My email is in my sig. Send me a note with your order or contact info.
12-13-2010, 11:26 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by henryp Quote
I can email a copy of your original invoice, but I cannot ID you from the info in your forum profile here. My email is in my sig. Send me a note with your order or contact info.
Now that's service!

12-13-2010, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #9

i'm impressed, too
12-13-2010, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Me three!