Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My new lens plan: Just bouncing some ideas.

My interest in photography is somewhat waning and I've been selling some lenses. Sold my FA31 as I use the 43 a lot more and I really don't need the 31.

I was trying to sell the FA* 28-70/2.8.

I've bought the 16-45 for casual shooting. I am getting the DA*60-250 as a gift but I already have the sigma 100-300 F4. So, I was thinking of putting the DA* for sale (I did and withdrew it).

I have the FA77 and F135, both of which are great but I don't use much. I know nothing can replace the F77, but I just don't use it.

I am now thinking of selling the FA 77, F135, sigma 100-300 F4 and keep the FA* 28-70 and DA* 60-250. I am getting the K-5 and I think F4 should be fast enough given the improved iso performance.

So, I will end up with DA15/4, DA 16-45/4, DA21/3.2, FA* 28-70/2.8, FA43, A 50/1.7, DA* 60-250.

I think this would be an ideal set-up for me, am I missing something? 300mm is not THAT much longer than 250 and the FA* 28-70 is really an amazing lens (only slightly inferior to the limiteds...I will have the FA43 if I really crave for that pixie dust rendering of the limiteds ).

I know only I can decide what I want, but thought it would be fun and useful to bounce this idea with the memebrs here....

Last edited by pcarfan; 12-12-2010 at 08:15 PM.
12-12-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think your setup is great! i'm just feeling that positive kind of envy :P ..If you don't use those lenses selling them for a fair price is the right thing to do..someone else may buy them and use them.
Better used than stored eh mate?.
And selling those 3 will get you enough money to try something new..(do you like fisheyes? or a shift lens? or 1:1 macro?...)
12-12-2010, 08:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks....

Well, I am not planning to spend any more in camera equipment. Have other plans

I think the the new list is amazing/ , but it'sjust that losing two Fa limiteds isn't easy , but I think it is the better idea.

Actually the more I think about it, the better I feel about this.
12-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm trying to figure the same thing out right now. I have a ton of overlap at the moment and could easily shed about half my current lenses and still have an outstanding kit.

But back to your question. I think the kit you suggested looks pretty good. I think we've talked about it before, but I would probably sell the 28-70 (which I did) as I generally preferred my Tamron 28-75 at about 1/3 the cost and 1/2 the size/weight. I owned the 100-300 and currently own the 60-250 and think keeping the 60-250 is the right call. For me personally, I preferred the significant amount of extra width of the Pentax to the little bit of extra length of the 100-300. That said, the AF is probably quicker on the Sigma and the internal zooming was nice too. I'd also really consider whether you want to sell the 77, especially since pairing it with the 15 and 43 makes a really nice, light-weight kit. But if you don't use it, then selling it makes sense too.

I doubt much of that was helpful, but as you already know, there is never a "right" answer

12-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My light weight kit is usually the 21 and the 43. Now, I am also thinking of selling the DA15 and may be get the 12-24. I really like the FA* zoom though, so I don't want to rpelace that with the Tamron...I know they are close in measurable terms but I do prefer the FA* more, but then again the FA limited is even better and I am willing to let those go.

DA12-24/4, DA16-45 (for family 5X7 snap shots) FA* 28-70/2.8, DA* 60-250/4 and primes 21/3.2, FA43/1.9 and A 50/1.7....I think this will be ideal...I am going to sleep on it.
12-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
My light weight kit is usually the 21 and the 43. Now, I am also thinking of selling the DA15 and may be get the 12-24. I really like the FA* zoom though, so I don't want to rpelace that with the Tamron...I know they are close in measurable terms but I do prefer the FA* more, but then again the FA limited is even better and I am willing to let those go.

DA12-24/4, DA16-45 (for family 5X7 snap shots) FA* 28-70/2.8, DA* 60-250/4 and primes 21/3.2, FA43/1.9 and A 50/1.7....I think this will be ideal...I am going to sleep on it.
You know you want to replace this with the A 50mm F/1.2
12-12-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds good Sanjeevan. I do wonder whether you will find the 16-45 all that useful (unless the FA* is not wide enough for your family group shots). It seems lens size is not your biggest concern, and thus the settling on the zooms. If so, then it does seem you're set with this final list - the DA 12-24 is a great addition, even if at the expense of the DA 15.

Enjoy deciding...
12-12-2010, 11:37 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

This is an enjoyable meeing of members I know (from posts) and like but as usual we are presented with solutions to discuss and no problem/requirements to work against. So its a social thing I guess and I just have not picked up on it...till now.

Pcarfan, with all those nice lenses you can sell most, play with whats left, buy new ones later. But I would suggest if the 60-250mm is your biggest, pick up an F1.7x AF teleconverter for that one day a mountain goat is staring you down and a 425mm lens would frame it just right.

With all that nice stuff you may unload, I will certainly be watcing the marketplace even though I have no requirements to post either...just LBA.

12-13-2010, 12:15 AM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

I see what you are doing. And it's not bad way of thinking. To be perfectly fair, my interest in photography is still strong but with present job (crazy retail position in London) and situation (baby on the way and Mrs going for maternity soon) I won't have much time and even less money to pursue this hobby. Unlike you though I'm die hard prime guy and will be selling (have already seller lined up, just waiting for his payday) the easiest to replace lens (10-20). I'll end up with rather crammed line up of 5 lenses between 24 and 77 but I have good reason for keeping each of those. I rarely shoot above 77 and if anything else I'd swap 77 for 50-135 but breaking up 3 amigos is rather unthinkable for now...

Anyway, back to you. If you are not too much into fast glass and shallow DOF then your proposed line up is great one indeed but if you like narrow DOF as given by 135/2.8 and 77/1.8 then you may find yourself lusting for another lens soon.

My 2p
12-13-2010, 03:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
You know you want to replace this with the A 50mm F/1.2
You are not helping me here
12-13-2010, 03:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Sounds good Sanjeevan. I do wonder whether you will find the 16-45 all that useful (unless the FA* is not wide enough for your family group shots). It seems lens size is not your biggest concern, and thus the settling on the zooms. If so, then it does seem you're set with this final list - the DA 12-24 is a great addition, even if at the expense of the DA 15.

Enjoy deciding...
Yeah! I need the 16-45 to be wider and I also think it will be much more compact (I should get it today).

I do care about lens sizes in most occasions, and that's why I am keeping the 21. This is my biggest issue with replacing the 15 with the 12-24. I sold the Sigma 10-20 for the 15, mostly for size. I also very much appreciate shooting with well constructed (metal ext.) lenses, and the 15 I am sure is nicer in that regard as well....I may hold onto this swap. My favorite focal length is 24 and that's another reason for me to consider the 12-24.
12-13-2010, 03:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
This is an enjoyable meeing of members I know (from posts) and like but as usual we are presented with solutions to discuss and no problem/requirements to work against. So its a social thing I guess and I just have not picked up on it...till now.

Pcarfan, with all those nice lenses you can sell most, play with whats left, buy new ones later. But I would suggest if the 60-250mm is your biggest, pick up an F1.7x AF teleconverter for that one day a mountain goat is staring you down and a 425mm lens would frame it just right.

With all that nice stuff you may unload, I will certainly be watcing the marketplace even though I have no requirements to post either...just LBA.
Lee, it's just that many may remember the style of shooting of other long term members. My shooting is not specialized much, just the usual - landscapes (not necessarily just wide angle either), family snapshots and some wildlife stuff (but, lately realized, I never print these large, just to enjoy them on the screen).

I had thought about the F1.7 AFA. I've had one of those before and I know it works VERY well with the DA*300 from the samples I had seen, but wasn't too sure how it would do with the 60-250. Anyhow, I have the Tamron 1.4 TC and it may work with SDM, and I will use that for now, and later consider the 1.7 AFA.

Thanks!

Last edited by pcarfan; 12-13-2010 at 03:55 AM.
12-13-2010, 03:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I see what you are doing. And it's not bad way of thinking. To be perfectly fair, my interest in photography is still strong but with present job (crazy retail position in London) and situation (baby on the way and Mrs going for maternity soon) I won't have much time and even less money to pursue this hobby. Unlike you though I'm die hard prime guy and will be selling (have already seller lined up, just waiting for his payday) the easiest to replace lens (10-20). I'll end up with rather crammed line up of 5 lenses between 24 and 77 but I have good reason for keeping each of those. I rarely shoot above 77 and if anything else I'd swap 77 for 50-135 but breaking up 3 amigos is rather unthinkable for now...

Anyway, back to you. If you are not too much into fast glass and shallow DOF then your proposed line up is great one indeed but if you like narrow DOF as given by 135/2.8 and 77/1.8 then you may find yourself lusting for another lens soon.

My 2p
Thanks, Peter.

I like primes....I know nothing will replace the FA limiteds, not even close. But as I am not expecting to get the ultimate results in every shot anymore, given the general lack of interest, the convenience of the zoom (still with good IQ) may suit me better.

I would however want the ultimate IQ for some landscape work. But, my lens line up will have great lenses in the focal lengths I use for such occasions (15 or 12-24, 21, 43 and I think the 60-250 would be nice as well).

I hear you on the shallow dof, but again I think I am moving away from such shots.

Last edited by pcarfan; 12-13-2010 at 04:01 AM.
12-13-2010, 04:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well! the FA77, F135 and sigma 100-300 will go up for sale shortly.
12-13-2010, 05:45 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I love your work, Sanjeevan, and it sounds like your mind is made up. The only thing that is important to consider is the cost of repurchasing, if you decide you want any of the lenses back that you have sold. The price of lenses has really sky-rocketed in the last three years, both for new and used stuff.

That is always what gets me when I think about selling a lens (I hardly ever use my DA 40). What if I should really want to shoot with it down the road? What if my shooting style changes and it would be the perfect lens for me?

I think by now you know what you like and what works for you and your probably best just going with that. None of the rest of us can tell you better than that feeling you have inside.