Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2010, 10:47 PM   #1
Inactive Account

super takumar f4 300mm can you help?

Hi i'm a new member I have a f4 300mm super takumar with the internal lens hood and attached tripod ring serial 3602556 asahi lens which I bough( along with many other SMC lens ) from a buddy returning from viet nam( he purchased the lens in Japan with the spotmatic slr ) over 40 years ago. The lens is flawless in excellent shap 9+ out of 10 honest ( glass flawless, no dust, no mold no rust, no dings shutter is flawless the action is smooth as silk amazing after so long not in use ! it has been in my closet in a chest for that period of time I forgot I had it !
Anyway I was wondering is there a market for such a lens? and if so what is it worth? is it a good lens optically? can it be used on a Pentax DSLR as I will be taking photography up now that I am retired and if i can buy a converter and the lens has good optics ( compared to todays lens)

I also have the f1.8 55mm SMC and the F3.5 28mmSMC but sadly they were stored in the atic in another box and did not fair so well the manual auto f stop switch on both are now stuck one was dropped the other ?
thanks Scott

12-13-2010, 01:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
S-M-C/Super Takumar 300mm F4 Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database ; price indication on that page around US$200 which is a bit much in my opinion; I paid (converted from local currency) between US$80 and US$100 for mine in May 2010; maybe I was lucky.

With regards to the others:
Some lenses need to be mounted on the camera before you can move the auto/manual switch; that might be the case with those. If you still have the Spotmatic, you can try it out.

PS
If you're a Pentax shooter, keep them, get an adaptor and use them. It's fun, it works (manual everything) and it might save you some money for now. On a digital body, the 55mm will make a nice portrait lens and outdoor low-light lens (bit long for indoors in my opinion), the 28mm will give you a (more or less) normal field of view. I have the super takumar 55/1.8 and it's basically my favorite lens at this moment.

PPS
You can find revies here: Pentax Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database ; go to the M42 section
12-13-2010, 07:02 AM   #3
Pentaxian

regarding the 300F4 this is an excellent long lens, although like all early pentax telephotos will suffer a little from CA (chromeric aborition) in the out of focus area,

for the stuck A/M switch, if the lens is a late production one, which also has the aperture ring coupling for open aperture metering on the Spotmatic F and ESII bodies, there is a tiny pin that locks tha A/M switch, about 1/3 of the distance from the aperture activation pin to the A/M switch, If you look at the rear of the lens, with the A/M switch at 12:00, the little pin is at about 3:00 and the aperture activation pin is at about 4:30

pressing this pin releases the A/M switch, The rear lens cap shoudl perform this function, or press it with your fingernail
12-13-2010, 10:28 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for the feedback will check into those pins .the spotmatic died many years ago loved it i wish they would make a digital slr like rather then losts of stuff you will never use put the money towards better biger censors and noise reduction and expand iso. i guess i am old fasion.lol

12-13-2010, 11:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I paid US$210 for a Takumar SMC 300/4 + Takumar SMC 50/1.4 + Spotmatic F + Takumar SMC 135/3.5 + Vivitar 28/3.5 + Vivitar x2 TC. So that values the 300/4 at somewhere between US$60 & $80 I guess.

I've put the Tak 50/1.4 is up for sale in a shop here and the other lenses bar the 300/4 have gone too. The 300/4 sits quietly in the cupboard until I decide to play with it from time to time ...... in fact maybe I'll do that now, try it with the AFA which I haven't done yet !
12-14-2010, 01:07 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Ipersonally would recommend give this lens a try. I used one for some time, and only sold it, because my eyesight and spectacles made manual focussing a bit difficult.
Here are a couple of samples of my shots. They were taken only to test the lens and not for image content.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
12-14-2010, 06:11 AM   #7
Pentaxian

what you can see in the post by bramela especially in the first shot is longitudinal CA with Purple outline in the OOF infront of the plane of focus and green in the OOF behind the plane of focus, this is typical for this type and vintage of lens.
12-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have a Takumar 400mm M42 mount with original M42 adapter from 1965, I have used it before on my K100D and K10D but its been a long time, can someone please give me a quick refresher course on using it on a K10D.