Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2010, 01:49 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
both shots with a FA*600 f4 (another ultimate LBA)
Congratulations with that lens!

QuoteQuote:
Some technique is required to domecticate such monsters; use shutter speed always 1/250 or above, calibrate AF very carefully cause DOF is very, vey narrow; I re-focus every 3 shots usually: atmosphere diffusion is a real issue, and depend on weather conditions can ruin shots; you may expect additional expenses for a gitzo systematic tripod (aroudn 600 euros) and a ballhead (400 to 500 more euros)
Indeed; the longer the lens, the more important it is to have a good technique. FYI: I use a Manfrotto 144B tripod (aluminium) with a Wimberley head (a very good quality copy; it really helps to keep things steady). Nevertheless, my technique is still lacking and I'm going to work on it.

12-14-2010, 05:11 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

The problem with having exceptional equipment is that it highlights every minute imperfection in technique.

The berry shot is very nice.
12-14-2010, 05:37 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks!

For what it's worth I have been browsing through my pictures yesterday. Having owned the Bigma (Sigma 50-500) and the Sigma 500/4.5 APO EX, I wanted to see if I could see any substantial differences in IQ.

I know that back in 2008 I was VERY happy with my Bigma. Yet after browsing through my pictures made with that lens it's clear to me that at 500mm, the lens was very lacking in the sharpness department (regardless of the f/stop used). That would not be surprising as the Bigma really is a compromise lens.

A more interesting comparison is between the Sigma 500/4.5 and the Pentax-F* 250-600. I'd say that these two lenses are roughly on the same level, with the Pentax having an edge in the CA and sharpness department (however slight). I don't say this because I have buyer's remorse (far from it; I would have resold the Pentax if I didn't like it) but the F* 250-600 is indeed very, very good at the tele end.

I'll post some more samples when the weather improves a bit. It's too dull outside and I fear that the moisture in the air has a negative impact on IQ.
12-16-2010, 03:44 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome to the club (if got the 600 f4.0)
that's a great lens you've got
and do not mind the moisture, these lenses are really well made and can take a lot
but i would recommand a good waterproof cover to have with you

if you are interested in wildlife i can recommand the german island "Helgoland"
at this time of the year - Sealsbaby-Watching
Tierfotografie und Super-Teleobjektive: Helgoland

would be great to see another photographer with a pentax-supertele
one time out in the natur ;-)

12-18-2010, 07:14 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the nice comments! Helgoland seems to be a great destination. I will try to visit it in the future.

In the meantime, here are my next humble tries with the F* 250-600:

The last one is more or less a blooper, but it could have been a winning shot
12-18-2010, 09:43 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
FYI: I use a Manfrotto 144B tripod (aluminium) with a Wimberley head
From what I've dug up, this is somewhere between a Manfrotto 190 and 055.
I had the 055 and while I thought it was decent bang for buck and the lenses I'd mount on it, I'd never put the FA*250-600 on it because of the weight.

Seriously consider dropping $500 on a 3 series Gitzo or some other carbon fiber equivalent...if you've got a deeper wallet, the new RRS tripods are even better than the Gitzos but cost almost twice as much
12-18-2010, 04:30 PM   #22
Veteran Member

There seems to me a degree of front focusing or back focusing with the unsharp subjects in view. This is not unusual in keeping with my view using these pentax telephoto lenses.

Good experience to view your image samples here
12-18-2010, 11:21 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You and the lens seem to be getting along fine already :-) "Bloober" could have been grand, next time surely? :-)