Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Voigtländer 90mm SL doubt

Hi.

I've been searching for oppinions and differences between the old and new model:

Abbazz stated some differences in another post:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/122750-voigtlander-90mm-lens.html

But I still have a doubt after reading this comment in flickr:

QuoteQuote:
The Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 Apochromatic. All metal body, all metal lens hood with secondary lens cap. manual focus, auto aperture (but not chipped, so green button it is). Heavy and solid.
see IMGP3165 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

So, does it mean that despite having the "A" setting, I should use the green button to get the metering unlike the old pentax A lenses?

I mean, I thought that both, new SL II and old SL, had the auto aperture so I shouldn't have to use the green button with none of them.... Am I right?

Last edited by jv.pentax; 12-13-2010 at 12:00 PM.
12-13-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jv.pentax Quote
Hi.

I've been searching for oppinions and diferences between the old and new model:

Abbazz stated some diferences in another post:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/122750-voigtlander-90mm-lens.html

But I still have a doubt after reading this comment in flickr:

The Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 Apochromatic. All metal body, all metal lens hood with secondary lens cap. manual focus, auto aperture (but not chipped, so green button it is). Heavy and solid.

see IMGP3165 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

So, does it mean that despite having the "A" setting, I should use the green button to get the metering unlike the old pentax A lenses?

I mean, I thought that both, new SL II and old SL, had the auto aperture so I shouldn't have to use the green button with none of them.... Am I right?
Don't worry--it has the "A" setting. You can see the "A" on the aperture ring in that photo. I never had any exposure issues using this lens or any of its cousins as a regular A-series lens on my K20 or K7, so I'm not sure what that user refers to by saying it's "not chipped."
12-13-2010, 11:46 AM   #3

Original Poster
I know the new SL II chipped version is for Canon - Nikon users, that now have the chance to use
metering, as their old AI-S (nikon users, I mean) lenses.

Last edited by jv.pentax; 12-13-2010 at 11:59 AM.
12-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jv.pentax Quote
I know chipped version is for Canon - Nikon users, that now have the chance to use
metering, as their old AI-S (nikon users, I mean) lenses.
True about the Nikon/Canon users--makes sense for them!

I don't think there's any difference in this regard in the Pentax SL vs. SLII though.

I had a 90mm SL and a 58mm SL II, and they both behaved the same way--you have to input the focal length for SR, but metering was Auto and just fine!

12-13-2010, 12:04 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks farfisa.
I had no doubt about IQ and build, now all my other doubts
are gone.