Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2010, 02:07 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As some have mentioned, you need to consider a couple of points. I personally have never had an issue with things being stolen from my hotel, as I have travelled, however, I have not ventured to the far east, so I cannot say whether there would be a problem there.

Consider two points, 1 is how to get your camera from major stop to major stop, and the second is how to move around when you get there.

If I know the hotels are safe, I take both a small back pack to go from point to point, and a smaller shoulder bag, wo get around once I am at one point where I will stay for a day or two.

I have considered seriously using a pellican case, and a computer security cable to litterally chain the equipment I don;t take out on any particular day to something immovable, like the plumbing. Assume that theft will be a crime of opportunity. Making it harder than just walking into a room and walking out with your gear will stop some theives. The same applies to locking your kit in a car. Having it tied physically to the car will slow them down substantially.

As for gear, If I know wild life is on the trip, I take usually my sigma 70-200F2.8 plus 1.4x and 2x TCs, along with my sigma 10-20 and tarmon 28-75F2.8. That is it for lenses, but I will take 2 bodies and a flash. The tamron is capable of close focus and limited macro, so macro gear stays home.

This is something that if forced to, I can comfortably carry all day long in a medium backpack.

If I know that wild life is NOT on the agenda, the big lens and 2 TCs stay home, and I add in my 8mm fisheye and 85mmF1.4 plus the pentax 1.7x AF TC. This, plus 2 bodies fits in a small back pack, with no lenses mounted, and if I know I am in a bad area, I lock the back pack toggles with small combination locks.