Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2010, 03:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
M40 and fungus cleaning. hard or easy?

Today I stumbled upon M40 pancake. Mechanically in great shape but with some fungus on elements. Now I did open K series lenses before so to reach the elements won't be so hard but question is: how hard is it to clean the fungus? The price was pretty crazy (I mean stupid cheap) and the fungus is on rather minimal side so I'm tempted but is it worth it?

Thanks for any ideas and opinions

12-14-2010, 03:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Today I stumbled upon M40 pancake. Mechanically in great shape but with some fungus on elements. Now I did open K series lenses before so to reach the elements won't be so hard but question is: how hard is it to clean the fungus? The price was pretty crazy (I mean stupid cheap) and the fungus is on rather minimal side so I'm tempted but is it worth it?

Thanks for any ideas and opinions
You said it yourself, if the price is stupidly cheap and fungus is minimal so what do you have to loose? I would go ahead if I were you. Worst case is the fungus is still there and we all know minimal fungus has virtually no impact on image IQ.
12-14-2010, 03:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
From what read here there is the notion that fungus may eat into the lens coatings, if this happens it cannot really be fixed. OTOH I have seen success stories on cleaning so it seems worth a try if only for the potential of feeling smug from pulling it off. Also, I haven't read of LCA so I suppose it does not exist, and even it does it should be cheaper than LBA ;-)
12-14-2010, 04:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nothing fancy. Wipe it off with dampen cloth, then alcohol to finish it off.