Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2010, 08:07 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want a common purpose zoom lens that you would also use for portraits, I could recommend Sigma 24-60/2.8. It has very pleasing bokeh and general rendering that I would prefer over Tamron 28-75/2.8. It is inexpensive, not too big and if you get a good sample is actually quite an excellent lens.

As for primes, you have a number of options - FA 77/1.8, DA 70/2.4, DA* 55/1.4, FA 50/1.4 and some others. Whatever you choose, it will serve you faithfully as all these are excellent pieces of equipment.

12-14-2010, 08:11 AM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I'm also somewhat a noob, and was wondering the versitility of the DA* 50-135 in this situation. It's relatively fast (2.8) and offers a pretty good zoom range. What is the opinion of this lens as a portrait lens?
12-14-2010, 08:13 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'm looking mostly for photographing one to a couple of people in a shot.....
12-14-2010, 08:20 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I use my Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 95% of the time on location and in studio for portrait work. I love the versatility to be able to do a full body shot and then zoom in for 3/4 or head shots. I get GREAT results from it as well and think when I can crank it wide open I can get some lovely bokeh as well (usually in studio though I am shooting at f/8-11).

12-14-2010, 08:28 AM   #20
Site Supporter

In principle any fast lens of a normal to moderate tele focal length would do the trick. You would need fast so that you can have a narrow DOF to isolate the subject from their surroundings. You would need normal to moderate tele so that the proportions of the subject are not exaggerated if you shoot up close. I have minimal experience with DA* 50-135 and it is mighty fine optically from what I managed to observe. Here is the entry from my blog that describes the encounter.

Personally, my longest lens is FA 77/1.8 and/or FA 100/3.5 which is mostly used by my daughter. Thus personally I'd recommend a wider optic. Also, I admit I like shooting people in point blank range with a wide lens, such as 24 mm wide of Sigma 24-60/2.8.

Obviously YMMV as they keep saying.
12-14-2010, 08:44 AM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
If you want a common purpose zoom lens that you would also use for portraits, I could recommend Sigma 24-60/2.8. It has very pleasing bokeh and general rendering that I would prefer over Tamron 28-75/2.8. It is inexpensive, not too big and if you get a good sample is actually quite an excellent lens.

As for primes, you have a number of options - FA 77/1.8, DA 70/2.4, DA* 55/1.4, FA 50/1.4 and some others. Whatever you choose, it will serve you faithfully as all these are excellent pieces of equipment.
Sounds like great advice.

As for the DOF of the different lenses as mentioned earlier - see here....https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography/113630-sensor-size-vs-depth-field.html

The DOF for the lens you choose won't change unless you change the distance to your subject, so a fast 50 or any of the other fast primes will make a nice portrait lens, even on a crop sensor.
12-14-2010, 08:52 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Oh, indeed. Obviously DOF is managed by the photographer who builds their frame in a specific manner taking into account what they want in focus, what out of focus and what in between. It is just that with fast zoom lens you have more flexibility so that you can open the aperture wider and have more options to play with DOF. Also, usually fast zoom lenses stopped even half a stop produce very sharp pictures so that you can have both DOF play of apertures of f/3.5 or f/4.0 and sharpness that slower lenses cannot provide.

No matter which fast zoom you take, FA* 28-70/2.8, various Tokinas 28-70(80)/2.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8, Sigma 24-60(70)/2.8, or DA lenses such as DA* 16-50, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 17-50/2.8 etc, they'll give you this flexibility.

Another important point is that these lenses being higher up in the ladder of segments are not too difficult to sell. Thus, one can buy a lens and see if one "clicks" with it. If not, it can be sold with minimal losses and another one can be tried.
12-14-2010, 10:02 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Questions, questions, questions.......

I still am not sure what you want

You mention 1-2 people, and outside, so can you tell me your planned working distance.

I have seen lots of lenses mentioned, but for outdoors, consider image size (sensor height assuming you want to fill the shot with the kids) = sibject height * focal length / subject distance

Keep all the units the same.

Lets assume standing portrait in vertical format, of a munchkin that is 1 meter high.

Image size = .024 meters(long dimension of sensor) = subject height(1 meter) * focal length / distance

If you are 10 meters away, (simple math) you need a 240mm lens.

Plug your numbers in to see where you get with what you think you will shoot.

A good old MF 135 shot from half this distance would do great.

12-14-2010, 10:16 AM   #24

I personally love the Da40 limited for portrait. It produces some stunning results. I find that for kids it is much easier to get them to smile when you are closer to them. You can also have the flexibility of a 3/4 body shot or a tight face shot.

I don't have that many lenses, but the DA40 has produced some absolutely outstanding pictures!
12-14-2010, 10:24 AM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twix23919 Quote
In regards to manual focus, would having the auto option be better when photographing fast moving children in an outdoor setting? what's the brand of the FA77? is that a Pentax?
For children it would be difficult to shoot kids without a zoom in an outdoor setting if by that you mean that they will be moving around, playing etc.

Pentax DA 70mm: superb portrait lens. I own it but not feasible [at least for me] to shoot 'portrait-type' shots of moving children.

Pentax DA 50-135mm: i own this one. Rather big lens. I like taking close up shots of my kids playing around. I have taken nice pics of them with this lens.

I prefer the pictures with the DA 70 but with the kids I only use it if I am reasonably sure that it is one of the few occsasions where they will be still. Great for adults though. So in practice I use the 50-135 with the kids almost all of the time.

I dont own the tamron 28-75 f2.8 lens but have heard good things about it on this forum and elsewhere. Depending on your preferred shooting distance from the subject, this may be a better zoom range.
12-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Wow! Lots of info....I obviously have a lot to think about.....my thoughts were since money is an issue, was to try and buy a lens that would offer as much as possible for all types of portraits....from what I've read.....it seems like a zoom 2.8...24mm-70 would cover a lot of options for all types of portraits. is that the fastest in a zoom....2.8? I don't mean to seem so ignorant....I've done research...but when you see a lens that has the same mm/fstops, but one is $500 and the other is $800...is that due to the quality of the glass?
12-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Your 55-300 is great for kids playing at a distance

I've had some pretty great results with my kit 55-300 taking pics of my daughter running around the playground.

The zoom is handy for framing.
The aperture at the wide end does a decent job of making your subject pop.
It is actually quite sharp.

So... consider this a plug to reconsider using your 55-300 to get some portraits.

- Sam

(Having said that, I would like a DA70 and / or a Tamron 28-75/2.8.)
12-14-2010, 11:05 AM   #28
Veteran Member

A lens for static portraits of one or two people may not be the same lens that you'd use for action sports (fast-running kids) unless it's a fast (f/2.8) zoom in the 35-135mm range. Such may be your perfect lens.

Yes, portraits can be shot with any lens, any focal length, depending on how you want the image to look. Many notable portrait photos are quite sharp (tight aperture, thick DOF) and may show the subjects in contexts where such sharpness really matters.

Another approach is exactly the opposite, with thinnest possible DOF to surgically separate the subject from the environment. This can be achieved for formal portraits without ultra-fast glass: by using a longer (135-200mm) lens; or by putting a cheap +1 dioptre closeup adapter onto a Fast Fifty and shooting the subject from 1m away; or by keeping the subject fairly close and the background FAR FAR AWAY.

Portraits generally don't require focus or aperture automation; action sports (and running kids) generally do. But even an old manual zoom like the Vivitar Series 1 Version 1 70-210/3.5, available for well under US$100, can catch action if you 1) boost ISO and 2) enable CIF, Catch-In-Focus. With CIF you can prefocus on a point where you know where the action will be, and hold down the shutter. When something comes into focus there, the shutter automatically snaps. But you'll probably catch more good shots with a more expensive AF zoom.
12-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #29
Inactive Account

Original Poster
ok.....from the advice and some more research...I have found 3 lenses....if you could only buy one to add to the kit lenses, which would you choose? feel free to add why if you like..I love learning everything I can! You guys have been great!

Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 IF EX DG HSM

Pentax Zoom Normal-Telephoto SMCP-DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 ED (IF) SDM

or....buy this prime to go w/the kit lenses:
Pentax Telephoto SMCP-FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited Series Autofocus Lens
12-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #30
Site Supporter

If it were my choice to make, I would go straight for the DA*50-135.
Yes, it is a bit large, but quiet /accurate/quick focus and top quality shots.

This lens has to be one of Pentax's most stellar performers in the price range.