Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I would have to disagree a little bit on the FA43. I find it to be quite magical and very obviously in the same family as the 77. pcarfan just sold his 31 because he used the 43 so much more. Check out his PPG page for some awesome shots taken with the 43. I also find it to be an ideal FL for indoor use. A nice bonus is the fact that the 43, the 77, and the DA15 fit together very nicely in that little DA Ltd. lens case. I'm not saying that you must get it right away, Todd, but I hope that you won't dismiss it without giving it a fair shot.

Asahiflex, I'm a little embarrassed to say that I've always thought that was your photo in your avatar. I'm familiar with Mr. Hirakawa and his prolific work, I just didn't know that was him!
No, I certainly won't dismiss it, but it's probably not on the near horizon. As I said, I didn't have much time with it. Even as I was making the post saying I didn't find it particularly interesting, I had a feeling Asahiflex was going to tell me it was designed by the same guy.

12-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Asahiflex, I'm a little embarrassed to say that I've always thought that was your photo in your avatar. I'm familiar with Mr. Hirakawa and his prolific work, I just didn't know that was him!
I'm certainly not Japanese-looking in real life!

But yes, it's Mr. Hirakawa with on his camera another one of his designs: the DA40 F2.8 Limited.
12-14-2010, 12:08 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
I appreciate your thoughts, guys. I just ordered the 55. I think my Pentax setup is now complete:

DA15/4
ZK-35/2
DA*55/1.4
FA77/1.8
SMC-K135/2.5

My wife hopes I can stop buying stuff now.
I'd say there is a long gap between 15 and 35mm...
12-14-2010, 12:22 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I'm certainly not Japanese-looking in real life!
I just figured you were a trans-planted Japanese gentleman. Though, come to think of it, I guess I have seen your real name on photos you have posted before. Definitely not a Japanese name! Just never really put 2 and 2 together before.

12-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
I'd say there is a long gap between 15 and 35mm...
True, but it's not a gap which I have any interest in filling any time soon. I am a tele-shooter mostly, and even the 35 feels too wide for me usually, on APS-C. I got the 15 just for fun, and to help me learn to see wider. But the truth is, right now I just don't have the right vision for wide lenses, and I am always uncomfortable composing. I hope to someday get better in this range, and when I do, I may be looking for 21, 24, etc. But not right now, thankfuly.
12-14-2010, 01:49 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Todd, let me know if you get more interested in the 31... mine's been collecting a bit of dust since I bought it, and it's sandwiched kind of awkwardly between my DA35 Macro and my converted Nikkor 28/2.8 Ai-s.
12-15-2010, 06:53 AM   #22

Man, the price on the 55 just went back up on Amazon, kinda having a little remorse for not pulling the trigger
12-15-2010, 06:59 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alfdog Quote
Man, the price on the 55 just went back up on Amazon, kinda having a little remorse for not pulling the trigger
Wow, makes me glad I did. Should be here in about an hour.

12-15-2010, 01:01 PM   #24

well, I have the 43, and 77, I'm not sure if it fits, because it seems close to those, esp the 43
12-15-2010, 02:18 PM   #25

I just wanted to echo DogLover's comment: Don't dismiss the 43 limited.

I, too, reach for this lens much more often than my 31. The 43 is small, verstatile, and has over the past year or so produced some of my most rewarding shots.

Many times I go out with just two lenses: the 77 and the 43. And if I had to sell everything else, these are the two, I think, I wouldl keep.
12-15-2010, 03:34 PM   #26
Pentaxian

well, I have the 43, and 77, I'm not sure if it fits, because it seems close to those, esp the 43
If you're talking about the 55, then I would say that there are enough "character" differences between those two (55 and 43) to justify having both. The 55 is a straight-forward yet superlative type of lens, the 43 is a magical, pixie-dust kind of lens. Plus, the 43 is a much better FL for indoors, in my experience. I wouldn't think of selling either of mine.

The OP now has both the 55 and the 77 and these two make up my go-to portrait kit. I was just thinking, though, that I ought to try some portraits with the 43. I don't remember anyone saying that they have tried that (I could have just missed it), but I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't do quite well, if the FL didn't prove to be something I just couldn't get used to. Hmmm.....
12-15-2010, 09:19 PM   #27

The 55 is a straight-forward yet superlative type of lens
Can you elaborate on this a bit more? A picture would be even better =)
12-16-2010, 08:55 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I assume he means "superb in every important technical aspect, but perhaps a bit lacking in character." Or something like that. But I guess I should let him speak for himself.

From what I have seen from others' images, I am hoping for some character from this lens, and I think it is there. I haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet. It got delayed, and just came this morning. Still in the box, acclimating to room temp....
12-16-2010, 08:55 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I just meant that the 55 excels at stark realism. Sort of a what-you-see-is-what-you-get type of lens, as opposed to the 77, which tends to add a bit of warmth and romanticism. Both of these styles are highly desirable. I would suggest that you pay a visit to PPG, where you can look at many photos taken with each of these lenses.
12-16-2010, 09:04 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
I assume he means "superb in every important technical aspect, but perhaps a bit lacking in character." Or something like that. But I guess I should let him speak for himself.

From what I have seen from others' images, I am hoping for some character from this lens, and I think it is there. I haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet. It got delayed, and just came this morning. Still in the box, acclimating to room temp....

Well, Todd, you're not totally off-base but I really hate to say that it lacks character because it sounds like such an insult and I love that lens too much to insult her! Let's just say that the 55's character is not as readily apparent as the 77's. Of course, you can invoke many types of character through PP. I have little doubt that you're going to love the 55. Those that have it tend to hang on to it.