Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Planning for a new addition to my lens line up

I was lurking on here and something just clicked in my brain and I thought I would share with my fellow lens addicts here In my bag I have a couple of Ks, a couple of FA Limiteds and a couple of DA zooms. 3 of my lenses could be regarded as being extremely good bordering on great depending on who you speak to, the other 3 are lenses that punch above their weight, they are not the best of the best but are more than capable of springing a nice surprise when you get home to review your shots after a days shooting. I'm happy with my collection
Last week I did a deal with another forum member for a K series 28 f/3.5. Now I have a little weakness where the K series is concerned, I happen to believe that Pentax at that period in time had the best designers, the most resources and more importantly the will to believe that they could design the best lenses for the 35mm format; they are not small like the Ms or the As, in fact they are normally chunky heavy lenses with that fantastic hewn from solid build that you would associate with really good solid engineering, Super Takumars are lovely but the Ks match them where build is concerned and there is no messing with adapters or lack of SMC coatings.
Anyway last Friday I had to pop over to the UK to visit some friends and I took the opportunity to visit SRS Microsystems in Watford, a: to get my K-5 replaced (not a quibble, arrived in the shop, brand new K-5 on the counter within 3 minutes from a fresh delivery, original receipt updated with new serial number after I tested it for around 15 minutes), b: to visit and meet SRS in person because I've spent some money there without ever visiting and c: to prepare for my new lens arrival! Now you might ask what do you need for a lens? well you need caps, front and back, a hood if possible and a bag or lens case. Lens caps are nice and easy, std Pentax K mount to cover the back and a 52mm pinch type for the front (all my Ks are dressed as such ) and for the bag I got a Lowepro 1M which I am hoping will be a nice fit. I struck gold when I asked about lens hoods , I was pointed to a box and told to dig and managed to find 2 Nikon HN-3s for a song, these are nice metal hoods that are shallow (3/4 inch) enough for wide to std lenses (24 - 55) and last time I looked were going for around 20 or $30 on Ebay. They have a 52mm inner tread and 70mm outer tread so no vignetting on my 50 f/1.2 or 28 f/3.5... perfect! Last but not least I scored another hit with a genuine Pentax Reverse K mount for 52mm, paid a tenner for it 1 minute before they found out it was listed at 85!!!! That visit made my birthday on Saturday, I was still smiling at my good luck!